The Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Elemental, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^As I said before...the competent can rebuild....

And those that honestly can't...through no fault of their own...can be hired by those companies who are good. It is in those companies' best interests to do so.

But they only can...if the government will only allow them to....

Hence...the neccessary limitations on government power....

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're assuming a great deal more competency on the part of the economic elite than I do. These are, after all, the same people who honestly believed that the housing bubble would never pop and that anything with a ".com" in its name was a license to print money. Frankly, I view Wall Street as little more than a collection of junkies looking for their next fix, and I have no faith that there are enough competent business leaders to rebuild and stabilize the economy without significant government oversight.

1. You're assuming that there are enough people out there who weren't brought down by others' bad business practices that they can rebuild.

2. You're assuming that those who are rebuilding can afford to hire others.

3. This doesn't address the damages done, which can be extensive and next to impossible for some families to recover from.

4. Nobody hires the poor. Not for enough wages, anyway. If you're underpaid before the economy collapses, what makes you think there's any incentive for potential future employers to increase your wages after a collapse? "Gosh, I'd love to pay you more, but we were hurt, too..."

I don't think anyone wants the government to control the economy a la the USSR. But by the same token, I don't think you're paying sufficient attention to the need to regulate business to prevent such a large accumulation of wealth in the hands of the elites -- i.e., the need to redistribute at least some wealth. 10% of this country owns 90% of the wealth; that ten percent could get by with 50%. Such an accumulation of wealth is a threat to democracy and to the liberty of the other 90% of the population.

3. Rush Limborg

^Sci...I was referring to the "good people" mentioned by SpaceLama and rahullak...not the idiots who botched up their own companies....

*sigh*

Sci...the economy is not a zero-sum game. If the rich get richer, it does not follow that the poor will get poorer.

A rising tide lifts all boats--provided it is a legitimate rise, not one conjured up by overprinting of money (which is what happened in the .com bubble and the housing crisis).

To truly rise the tide, cut taxes for everyone... cut the burdensome regs which are more harm than good...and keep the Fed Reserve from arbitrarily fixing interest rates and the money supply. The economy will roar back to life.

4. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still doesn't address the core issue of millions of people without a job because of a handful of gamblers, who perhaps didn't even know that they were gambling. What's needed is a way to prevent a few from controlling the destinies of the many, because as we all know the good of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

5. Rush Limborg

^Captain Kirk would seem to disagree....

As for the gamblers--again, these imbeciles have power because they have lobbyists in D.C.--lobbyist that the Too-Big-To-Fail government listens to. Now, sometimes lobbying is good--but it could also easily become a tool for corruption such as this.

(Sheesh. How long 'til we get this bloody thread back on topic? I'm getting bored....)

6. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aren't we getting way off topic? Why don't you two continue this in another thread or drop it. It's got nothing to do with the Typhon Pact.

I'm interested in seeing a book or two from the Typhon perspective, like KRAD has done with the Gorkon books.

7. Rush Limborg

^Agreed.

We're getting too old for this....

That would be fascinating!

Hey, KRAD--you're an awesome worldbuilder, if I'm any judge. Ya feel up to it? :)

8. David R. George III

David R. George III Writer Fleet Captain

Good things come to those who wait....

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if we did see a chapter or two from the Typhon race's in the miniseries.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoo hoo!!!....I mean, intriguing :vulcan:

11. Rush Limborg

^Data says "intriguing".

"Fascinating" will suffice....:vulcan:

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Woo Hoo indeed. Thanks to DRG3 for the ominous scooplette :D