Gene Roddenberry's "The Lieutenant"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I don't recall seeing this posted previously, and my apologies if it's been discussed before, but I was poking around YouTube and I found a clip of an episode of Gene Roddenberry's single season show The Lieutenant, which is notable because it features Nichelle Nichols in one of her earliest TV roles (it's apparently not her first, as some have claimed), Don Marshall of Land of the Giants, and Dennis Hopper! You only see series star Gary Lockwood for a few moments in the video, but, hey, check out the groovy music for a Marine. Swingin!

Click to see a clip from The Lieutenant episode "To Set It Right" (1964)

2. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

One (or two?) DVD dealers at the Las Vegas Convention in 2008 had this series for sale. (I wasn't willing to go $60 or so, for a single season of anything. *tightwad-grin*)

3. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A couple of other familiar names: Writer Lee Erwin and Dirctor Vincent McEveety. Also listed in the credits is Ed McReady, who had several bit parts in Star Trek.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good grief, what a goofy grin on Lockwood's face in his title close-up. Who thought that was a good idea?

Nichols looked really nice in that, and she had a good part, too. I don't think she ever got to do anything so deep or emotional in TOS.

And I wonder if Marshall's role as a confrontational hothead here had anything to do with his getting cast in a similar role in "The Galileo Seven."

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought "The Lieutenant" ran for a couple of seasons...

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Nope. Just one.

7. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This show ran in reruns on a UHF station when I was a kid for a while, I believe. When Gary Lockwood looked at the camera in the opening credits, I kept waiting for his eyes to glow and a fade to black over them!

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Smiling goofily at the camera in the credits was nothing new. It was just a way to acknowledge the audience. It worked for Bonanza for 14 years. Also, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Happy Days. Any others?

9. Christopher

^^Smiling at the camera, yes. But surely the director could've gotten a less ridiculous-looking smile out of Lockwood.

And the Addamses didn't smile at the camera; they glowered and snapped.

10. Green Shirt

Glowers were their smiles. ;)

11. Christopher

Actually they smiled a lot in the show, particularly John Astin with that wide-eyed borderline-maniac grin. The cool thing about The Addams Family was how deliriously happy the Addamses were with themselves. As far as they were concerned, they had the ideal life and it was the rest of us who were the neurotic weirdos. Quite a subversive statement for the day.

12. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess. It was subversive the first few times, but they did it ad nausem, and after a while it lost all impact. A clever show overall to be sure, tho.

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. Bill Bixby was the guest star and man, his acting got a LOT better as the years went on.

I picked it up after reading a great review of it on DVDTalk.

14. Green Shirt

Is 4 years a record for resurrecting a dead thread?

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

It might be close...

Please do not ressurect dead threads.

Feel free to start a new one.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.