Why does Enterprise get so much flak?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LoneDragon, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Who needs to study what for why? :wtf:

2. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

That's debatable. (Looking at you, barking, clapping "Fans Of Enterprise.") Pluswhich, when you do it for three days, it stops being "gentle" and just gets old. Especially when you sprinkle your vitriol liberally through several threads.

We get it. You don't like the show. Let's move on, mmkay?

3. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I don't know why Enterprise gets so much Flak, either. It did not hit its stride until season 3. This is no different than the other series, except for TOS. But just like TOS, it was canceled too early. I recently re-watched Season 1 and just picked up 2 yesterday. Season 1 was better than I remembered. You really get the feeling how vulnerable they are. Sure it has its bad scenes, but I don't think there were any episodes that were completely unwatchable.

I've always been able to relate more to these characters than any of the other series. I guess because they are more like us. I think I would share Archer's excitement. But unlike him, I think I would be a little more cautious after being shot up the first half of the season. Initially giving Hoshi so many phobias made her annoying. Thankfully those quickly went away. Travis was underused, but other series had characters that didn't do much. Phlox's "medicine" could be a bit too much at times.

Initially, how the Vulcans are portrayed, shocked. me. But it makes more sense now. And they answer many questions about the Vulcans' odd behaviour in Season 4. The Andorian's were great. The Suliban were OK. I thought they could be used more. The Xindi arc had it's high points. But to have a powerful race so close to Earth, you would think they would be part of the Federation. But if you ignore the 23rd and 24th century series, it is very good. The Romulan's were implementing their plans quietly. I wish they could have done a Romulan War arc.

The ship grew on me, just like 1701-D did. The only thing I would change is to not make it too much like a submarine or a Navy ship. For the decks with crew quarters and the mess hall, they should have added some more color. Even today, NASA scientists say for long voyages, you need to include some more earth tones.

4. secretreeve

secretreeve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

why does ENT get so much flak?

Because too much of the ST fan base can't look beyond their own preconceptions and ideas and just take new shows for what they are and give them their own merit.

I like ENT and i LOVE the ship.

I'm building a 1/350 scale model of it and lighting it up with computer code.

I like the show because i look at it in its own light, "a new POSSIBILITY to the start of it all"

by no means do i take it as LAW or anything.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Indeed. The novels Final Frontier and Starfleet: Year One give us very different versions of pre-TOS Trek compared to what Enterprise showed us. None of them are "wrong," they're just different versions of how the Trekverse came to be.

How many origin stories have Superman and Batman had? I think if they can have several, then Starfleet and the Federation of Planets can too!

6. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I like it very much. It's still behind the TMP - Refit and TOS Enterprise. But I prefer it to D and E.

I'm happy they didn't take the safe approach and chose something that resembles traditional Enterprise's. While I would like to see a Daedalus on screen, I wouldn't want one to be the Enterprise.

7. secretreeve

secretreeve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

the thing is with ENT the ship is very human early tech design. so its fitting really and to those who dont like it i say "stfu you twit its a tv show who cares" lol

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    seasons 1 and 2 are aimless and tired, with many of the stories boring retreads of ones previously done better on other shows. They're two of the worst seasons in all of Star Trek. By the time the show improved in season 3, much of the perception of it was already formed.

9. Mr.AtoZ

Mr.AtoZ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The happy-go-lucky Captain of the first season had me running for the hills. He beams down to a planet with his dog, who gallops around the alien fields oblivious of what little alien bugs might leap onto him. What a total goof. I really felt sad for the Star Trek franchise. I tried to put up with it for a few more episodes but then bailed.

I came back later when I saw previews for the end of season 2 as the Xindi arc started. That changed everything. By then some of the very wooden characters were becoming palatable. Archer realized he had a back bone and started using it.

Some of the stories were really good, but I considered the Borg as "hands off" due to what was established in The Next Generation. They never should have gone down that road. I think it was a serious mistake. The Xindi idea was unique and worked well and the writers should have come up with more story ideas like this.

Honestly, the show did get much better in season 3 and 4, but many of the second tier characters made the show look less than it could have been. Perhaps they needed a little more time. But it was too late. It is a shame, because I think Bakula really got rolling and making Archer work well. He could carry the show, almost the way Stewart did with Picard. Even Blalok was getting better, although I felt the Vulcan depictions in Enterprise were either too emotional or too wooden (few Vulcan depictions in the Star Trek franchise could match Nimoy's definitive take, with Tuvok a close second).

I do think Enterprise could have gone on for at least 2 more seasons if they'd gotten to season 3 momentum by the start of season 2. It was just bad timing.

10. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

This strikes me as a bit of a contradiction with "not playing it safe" equating to choosing something familiar. The NX-01 being of a very familiar design.