Should Data have been recast for Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by GalaxyX, Nov 14, 2013.

1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So another thread got me to think.

Since Brent Spiner was complaining about his age reflecting on the character of Data, would it have been a better idea to recast the part with another actor?

I think that would have been a great publicity stunt for the movie. Searching for an younger actor who looked like a younger Spiner to come and play the role of Data in the movie.

There would have been no need for Data to die at all, and no need for a ridiculous B4 subplot. Instead, the buzz about the cast change would probably have garnered more views for the theatrical release, and maybe the movie itself could have benefitted story wise?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Data was not the problem with the Nemesis film.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Alternatly Data could have altered his apperance to make himself look older.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Perhaps not Data, but the B-4 character definitely played a considerable role in bringing tne movie down for me. I understand the thinking behind him, but some scenes were almost excruciatingly grating - "why does the tall man have a furry face"? Ugh.

5. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No I don't think it would have worked, if they had done though, Michael Fassbender would be my pick.

6. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I never thought Spiner looked too old for the part. As stated above, the film has larger issues.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not Data, but rather B4 could have been recast with a younger actor or actress (with the same gold skin and yellow eyes). A case could have been made that before Lore and Data, Dr. Soong's first attempt in creating a positronic android was based on someone who didn't look like him as a young man.

8. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No ... as everyone has mentioned. The problems with the film, weren't the problems caused by Data. Basically it was the script.

9. Melakon

Well, the only answer to that is...

Bele.

:shifty:

But you did hit on my problem with the film-- the script.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather have recast the writers and director.

11. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Supposedly the Writer didn't even know Levar's name, and kept calling him Laverne

Imagine that, 7 years on the show and three feature films and some douche comes in and keeps calling you "laverne"

12. R. Star

It was the director. Who ironically Burton was more qualified than Baird to direct. I wouldn't put my best effort out for a jerk who can't even get my name right either.

13. Melakon

When TNG first premiered, LeVar was the best known name in the show, due to Roots.

14. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I recall reading 20+ years ago that he and Patrick Stewart had roughly equivalent salaries, while the rest of the cast was paid about 2-3 times less.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

If there ever is a TNG reboot I want Tom Hiddleston for Data.

16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

No doubt, I had that thought some time ago and now can't unsee him as Data, which was a tiny bit distracting when I saw Thor last weekend.

17. R. Star

For some reason that guy just gives me the same creepy vibe that hologram in Revulsion did.

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I also heard somewhere the director didn't know that Geordi was human with cybernetic eyes, and thought that the character was an alien.

Writers/directors of a Trek film should at least do some research on the series before making it.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Mind. Blown.

I have a couple of friends that will swoon when they see that image... :lol:

20. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tom Hiddleston (sp?) is not a bad choice for a reboot of Data. Might be too old by the time nuTNG rolls around.

We all know Nemesis had horrible problems, and frankly, I think something was wrong with the make up, it should have been used to make the entire cast look younger, but instead everyone looked old and tired. I know this was also due to the fatigue of the series, as well as being directed by a moron.