Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry if this doesn't belong here... but having just absorbed the crapfest that is the latest Abrams film, I started pondering what it would be like if the characters from TOS found themselves in these movies....

Spock: with the destruction of Vulcan, might he consider that he has a duty to find a Vulcan wife and propagate the species? Should he leave Starfleet altogether?

Kirk: Would our "positively grim" earnest young Kirk obsess over the loss of his command? Obviously he would not have lied on his report, but he still might have run afoul of regulations and lost the command. Then what?

I'm writing as I'm thinking, and it's just starting to fall apart for me, because some of these characters ARE so different from their new incarnations. I'm especially having trouble with Uhura.

Anyone care to pick up the baton?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah this is going to end well.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

He might. There were several times in the original series where Spock was prepared to resign from Starfleet. For him, it may have been the most logical decision. After all, if he and other Vulcans fail to propagate their species, they would likely die out.

Firstly, why wouldn't Kirk have lied? He falsified the report regarding the disposition of Commissioner Hedford in the episode "Metamorphosis," promising to keep Cochrane's existence a secret. He would have to omit details, lest he get Starfleet curious about a planetoid that had (or did have) the capability of pulling starships and/or shuttles down to its location.

Secondly, he'd do what he did in the Abrams movies, which would be to fight and get his command back.

There's nothing difficult about Uhura. She's the same smart, sexy, independent woman in the movies as she is in the original series. She just gets a meatier role in the new movies.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

I don't see anything from the Kirk from Into Darkness that is incompatible with the Kirk I know from TOS. :shrug:

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

At the end of ST09, this is exactly what nuSpock was going to do, but oldSpock Prime told him not to.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell the only major difference I noticed between the two versions is that NuKirk is slightly less mature and considering he's younger than the regular version thats not to be unexpected.

Hell actually NuKirk is probably less of a bastard than the regular one as he hasn't threatened to commit genocide against a race for dragging him into their war, shacked up with someone who was what 19 at the most just to get her father for all the atrocities he committed.

I honestly think there are people who don't get that James T. Kirk was never a saint.

7. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

A game?...nahh more like a poke...

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I was just thinking the same thing.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They probably would wind up the same because the show requires Kirk to be in command and Spock to be in Starfleet. That status quo will not change come death, destruction, dismissal or marriage. The writers will always find away.

As mentioned, Old Spock gave Spock the okay to continue in Starfleet while he worked to ensure Vulcan's survival as a species. I'm sure TOS's writers would come up with an equally "logical" excuse rather than lose the show's breakout character. Just as they found away out of Spock's marriage, blindness, death and multiple murders of his CO. Spock's real home is Starfleet, no matter what Universe he's in.

The Positively Grim Kirk was laid to rest in TWOK when we found out he was never a Boy Scout. We saw hints of that in TOS as well. Kirk obsessed over many things. There was even an episode called "Obsession" where he obsessed over the death of his former commander. Then there was his need to prove Karidian was Kodos. He's also lost his command on occasion and fought hard to win it back. ("Deady Years", "Turnabout Intruder", The Motion Picture) Kirk lied on a report in "Metamorphosis" and probaby fudged a few details in "Amok Time", There might others too. The "official details" of what happen near the Ceti Alpha seem to be missing a few key elements.

Yeah, they are different characters, especially Kirk and Spock who have undergone tragedies much different than their counterparts. Those will have an impact on how they react to things.

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I don't agree that the new Abrams film is a 'crapfest' but respect your right to think so. I don't even think that of GEN which I hate - :lol:.

In regards to PrimeSpock being in nuSpock's place I'm not sure that a half-Vulcan would be required for propagation.
    Realistically if there was a program on newVulcan Spock's presence wouldn't actually be required. Just ahem his DNA. I can see where he might be sent a couple of kids in the future to look after. Maybe they might let kids on ships a bit earlier than the 24th century.

Yeh PrimeKirk would have already sorted out the report issue with PrimeSpock - they understand and are loyal to each other. Kirk has earnt Spock's trust. Also more experience in the paperwork area and he already had covered up a few things. Probably Khan and definitely the events in Metamorphosis.

The new characters are totally different in nuTrek. I prefer the characters in PrimeTrek but as people say they are trying to compare 100 odd hours of series and 6 movies with just 2 movies. With regards to nuUhura however. I think they got her mostly right. If TOS were created today I imagine thats how Uhura would act. She wouldn't go around saying "I'm frightened" all the time. Sure she did other good things in TOS but this often overshadowed.

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

This would be better in gen discussion since it covers more than one series. Start it there, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.