How is Janeway sexy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.D. Possum

T.D. Possum Commodore Commodore

Interesting article. I get the feeling that the author has never watched Star Trek, though.

"When it comes to strong female characters, other genre works of note include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Farscape," "Firefly" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

No disrespect to Beverly Crusher and Deanna Troi, but it seems to me that Voyager should have been the top Trek pick to use as an example here. Did y'all know the captain on Voyager was a woman? ;)

I'm only nitpicking in a friendly way, though. The topic of women in scifi is one that has been on my mind a lot lately, and it's always good to see an article addressing it.

(ETA: Oh, and J'Rulz, if you are from OK, you can even label yourself a Southerner without too many people arguing with you. It worked for Garth Brooks. *passes J'Rulz a glass of sweet tea*)

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Technically, I'm not a southerner, I'm an Army Brat. :rommie:

As for not watching Voyager... can I get a "HELL YEAH" when I say they not only dissed in absentia "Voyager", but also Deep Space Nine (Major/Col. Kira, Lt Commander Jadzia Dax, and Veddik Rachet (can't recall her DS9 name!), not to mention Star Trek's Enterprise (T'Pol), Babylon 5, Stargate (Capt Samantha Carter), or Stargate Atlantis (Dr Weir, Teyla), or Andromeda (Beka Valentine). And I'm not even going to TRY to mention that fantasy show set in Ancient Greece that ran 1995-2001, premiering a year before Buffy hit the small screen. :scream:

Speaking of comic con... ( I know, we weren't, just go with me for a moment) there was a cute article on the 5 panels you shouldn't miss at this year's comic con.

I liked #1!

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/19/top-five-cant-miss-events-at-comic-con/?iref=obinsite

#1. But if you are at the Con this year you have to come to the panel for the new Adult Swim show, "NTSF:SD:SUV::" (National Terrorism Strike Force: San Diego: Sport Utility Vehicle::), a 15 minute procedural comedy, which dramatizes the heroes that protect San Diego daily from the constant threat of terrorism from countries like Mexico, Guam, and Iceland. Not only do they have a kickass Q&A set up with special guests but they also have an event so secret that Comic-Con won’t even let them announce it. Oh by the way, in interest of full disclosure, I wrote, produce and star in this show, but I’m still entirely impartial. :bolian: :bolian: :bolian:

3. T.D. Possum

Vedek (and later Kai) Winn is the name you're trying to recall. You can still have some sweet tea with me, though.

4. JanewayRulz!

5. T.D. Possum

That's funny because it's true. And, yes, I do know every single line of that movie by heart.

As for the vid - that song always makes me dance and sing and point mockingly at an imaginary rival, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fabness of Possum's avatars never ceases to amaze me.

7. T.D. Possum

Oh, thank you!!! I spent a lot of time on that one, so I'm glad that someone else thought it was funny.

8. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Seconded on your avatar, Possum! LOL!

Can someone mail some sweet tea this way? Also, is a possum perhaps working on a remix?

9. JanewayRulz!

Good heavens, that's just a line I've used "forever". Which movie are you referring to?

need more Janeway!

J/C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vptpRcq7A

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vptpRcq7A[/yt]

An oldie but a goodie! Janeway's swagga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNnwZvbP9jk

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNnwZvbP9jk[/yt]

10. T.D. Possum

"Swagga"! I still play it all the time. It's on my workout playlist, in fact.

Froot, that screencap was for you. I knew you'd get it. Not working on a remix per se. Just suspected that I might sometime find a use for the audio. Knowwhatimean? Haha!

J'Rulz, I thought you were quoting Steel Magnolias, in which Dolly Parton calls sweet tea the house wine of the South. Despite having lived in the South all my life, that's the only time I've ever heard that specific line.

I'll just drop off my current avatar for posterity, since I'll be up to the Fourth Doctor soon and will be changing it again.

[​IMG]

Even the Master knows that Janeway is sexy!

11. Thomas.B

Thomas.B Lieutenant Red Shirt

Absolutely.
    The 80s were a long time ago. Not long before TNG, TV was full of macho shows like The A-Team and Miami Vice. Plus, Sigourney Weaver in Aliens was perhaps the big breakthrough and even with that, attitudes about women in sci-fi weren't going to change overnight.

12. Thomas.B

Thomas.B Lieutenant Red Shirt

...One thing about the original topic (Janeway's sexiness).
    I think it's kind of sad that every sex symbol our culture throws at us is barely out of their teens. Actually, they seem to start IN their teens and it's kind of perverse. As soon as Hannah Montana or Hermione Granger turns 21 then it's time for the Maxim photo shoot or for them to go all Lindsey Lohan.
    To me Gweneth Paltrow and Catherine Zeta Jones are sexy and I don't feel like I'm ogling a kid who was in gym class last week. Older women can be sexy and it's kind of nice that they know what you're talking about when you talk about things that happened more than fifteen years ago.
    Janeway wasn't that old when Voyager started but I think that's part of the whole debate. Whey you have a doe eyed Kes or Seven of Nine around people are like "Janewhat? Sorry, I lost my train of thought." And that's fine. Seven and Kes at least appeared to be well into their twenties (Maybe Kes was close to mid twenties? She acted older at least). But Janeway is certainly an attractive woman.
    (P.S. Swagga video. Lol. Janewayrulz :))

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  13. T.D. Possum

*passes Thomas a gin rickey* Well said, friend.

14. Markira

Markira Commander Red Shirt

:bolian: :bolian: :bolian:

It's a bit early in the day for me to join you in a gin rickey toast, Thomas, but I'll raise my 2nd cup of coffee in agreement and solidarity! :)

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    You're just trying to get him drunk :devil:

But seconded. And thirded on your awesome av (I'm not a Whovian but I know that's Roger Delgado from other stuff he did).

[​IMG]

16. T.D. Possum

Ah, he was brilliant on Doctor Who! You should check it out sometime.

17. JanewayRulz!

I actually think I got it from either "Designing Women" or Lewis Grizzard.

A Fav scene showing the awesomeness of the Auburn Queen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSq2qlwrs0&feature=related

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSq2qlwrs0&feature=related[/yt]

18. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

That youtube video reminded me of something. Wasn't Janeway's dad awfully SHORT?

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

GOOD MORNING THREAD

[​IMG]

20. JanewayRulz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.