Devil - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

20.0%
  2. Above Average

60.0%
  3. Average

20.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Are people actually going to bother seeing this?

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe when it hits SyFy in four months, at two A.M.

4. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, due his recent string of successes, M. Night had enough budget only to film in an elevator?

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, in the UK they don't mention his name in any of the adverts.

My guess (so not a spoiler) - all of the people have done evil things and the Devil is coming to get them.

The fact that no critic reviews were allowed suggests that it's a stinker. The only review I saw said this:

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/new...n-fails-clever-concept-of-devil#ixzz0zmV8W2GE

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

It's only produced by MNS. I thought the trailer looked interesting enough, I'll go see it when I get chance on Monday. And unlike some, decide for myself

7. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

^You rugged invidualist, you!

Ordinarily, I'd be all over a film like this. Just the title would be enough to draw me in. But Devil looks pretty bad. I don't know if I'm going to see it, or not.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't know how much input he had on the final film as the EP and story writer (but not the screenplay), but the opening lines from this TV ad are exactly the kind of cheesy yet pretentious dialogue he's been known for.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unN_4eC3I3c&feature=related[/yt]

It's supposed to be the first part of a trilogy about supernatural events in an urban setting, but if this has dismal box office I don't know if that will last. The second film is supposed to be sort of a supernatural 'Twelve Angry Men' and the third film is actually going to be adapted from the story idea for the sequel to 'Unbreakable,' which I would have loved to see years ago before Shyamalan embraced the suck.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Written as well I believe.

10. SinglePurpose

SinglePurpose Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He has a story credit on the film. The screenplay was written by someone else.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Indeed. Screenplay by Brian Nelson and directed by John Dowdle.

I probably won't get around to seeing it while it's still in theaters, simply due to the number of other films currently out and coming very soon that I want to see, but I do plan on checking it out at some point when it hits home video.

12. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I saw it, and quite enjoyed it. Probably about a 6/10

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In my school, that would be a D.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't he just claim them after they die? That's the usual method. Does he have to intervene because otherwise they'll somehow escape him? :vulcan: Seriously, what would be the point?

Not to say you're wrong. Actually it sounds appropriate for Hollywood.

Only... :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  15. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Well, I call 5 as average, so slightly above average.

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could become good, if given the chance to live. Or, if you're into that sort of thing, "form a personal relationship with Christ" and all that nonsense. Although you'd think being confronted with the Devil would be the quickest way possible to convince someone to sincerely pray to Jesus.

I hope some folks watch this. I'm really interested in seeing the reactions to this film, but not nearly as interested in actually forming any opinion of my own, for obvious reasons.

Well, at least until the inevitable Rifftrax is out.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The movie wasn't screened for critics which by itself speaks volumes. Some of the reviews that've came out online over the last few hours have not been promising. This is one I wanted[/ I] to go see out of morbid curiosity and because it looked interesting and M.Night's involvement in it is actually fairly little all things considered. Still. Out of morbid curiosity I also want to try electrified nipple clamps. So...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm embarrassed. Those are supposed to be the beliefs I subscribe to, and I didn't think about that! Too busy being snarky and cynical, I guess.

Ah yes, the old "foxhole conversion." :devil:

Really though, I think I'm still trying to figure out what the nature of Hell and the Devil are supposed to be in an essentially atheistic Hollywood. Faith or salvation don't seem to play much part in it. Here we have a Devil who's apparently allowed to manifest himself in an elevator and... do whatever it is he's going to do. So why doesn't he just hang around permanently? I'd bet money this movie doesn't show a God or Jesus that's stopping him. And I'd bet double that anyone in the movie who actually does pray to Jesus will be shown up as a buffoon, or die a horrible death, or both.

In the Hellraiser movies, you've got a Hell that doesn't appear to be a normal afterlife at all, but it's still populated by immortal beings who traffic in immortal souls. And they'll take anyone they can get their hands ... err, chains on, not just the condemned. Does that mean they have the power to waylay someone from the afterlife they were meant for?

In Drag Me To Hell, you've got a gypsy woman with the power to curse someone to the traditional hell, in retaliation for a comparatively minor offense. So let me get this straight: she can exercise eternal judgement over someone else's soul for no real cause? How is it that she's not ruling the world?

I wouldn't presume to ask what the rules are in these movies, or get someone to explain the inconsistencies. I'm just trying to understand the mindset and world-view that comes up with this stuff.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

BTW, the wikipedia page has a huge spoiler right in the cast list. Don't look at it if you wanna see the movie unspoiled.

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

What gets me is M. Night is clearly talented and creative and original in many ways. It's a shame the he continues to pump out crap. I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge, but I don't understand how that happens. Lennon and Mcartney did the same thing in their solo careers, not all of the time, but a lot more than you would expect from such talented people. The thing is it;s not like he's that old and i'm sure he's given decent budgets, so i'm lost.