Movie: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

My friend urged me to rent this one. I wound up liking it a lot. The girl from Harry Potter really was quite good in this film, and it really channeled life from my generation (and how important mix tapes were).

The film wasn't perfect. I found the idea of the main character visualizing a different scenario than what actually happens to not work so well (the scenes where they show both what he imagines should happen immediately followed by what actually happened). And while I liked Paul Rudd as the teacher/mentor, they made that whole relationship a bit on the nose.. I mean, the teacher gives Charlie a copy of The Catcher in the Rye.

Still: a really good film...

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The book is fantastic, and the movie (written and directed by the author of the book) is a fantastic adaptation. I bought it last week, and I've already watched it twice.

3. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book, just over a decade ago now. I really loved it, and it makes me happy to hear that the movie is a good adaptation.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I really enjoyed this film, which is one of the best book adaptations I have ever seen, in my opinion. Perhaps not surprising, when it's directed by the author, but still!
    The film perhaps could have made more of the books angle of 'if you're not part of the group, you see them for what they really are' which is what the title is all about. But it captured most of the essence of the book I think, and I'd give it a lot of credit for that.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can agree with this. It's probably my least favorite line in the movie when Patrick just announces "You're a wallflower." In the context of the movie, it kind of comes out of nowhere.