Ascendents

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by chrinFinity, Nov 1, 2012.

1. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Thanks for the spoilers.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Ascendant

Seems to me this would be a dangerous thread, being called "Re: Ascendents", for anyone wanting no spoilers about the Ascendants.

3. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You haven't received any spoilers. The whole point is that there is nothing to know. The few snippets from Rough Beasts that have been mentioned are so small and tangential as to be negligible.

Unless that was a joke based on Newspaper Taxi's post...

4. chrinFinity

It was the hints about the other stuff that happens in the Bajor system in Destiny / TP which I prefer not to be reminded about. I do still hope they cover the Ascendants storyline properly some day.

5. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I'd forgotten how bad the ds9 relaunch was

I'm actually kinda glad they did the skip, even if we ended up with rbe

6. phrog

phrog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, there are no plans to pay off that storyline and fill in the gap at all? All of the mystery, intrigue and buildup/revelation is just dropped? Unbelievable.

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

the big twist was going to be that the ascendants stole siskos spine so that they could do battle with the dominion

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ I think the DS9 relaunch is the best thing Pocket Books has ever published.

9. DS9Continuing

There have been no such plans to revealed to us, certainly. That doesn't necessarily mean such plans don't exist, but the current Powers That Be appear to have their own plans that involve moving forwards rather than backwards. On the other hand, nothing is impossible.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I'm not surprised given your username

But given that just under trek, Pocket Books has published The Final Reflection, Federation, The Wounded Sky, Doctors Orders, Spocks World, Q Squared, Imzadi, The 34th Rule, A Stitch in Time and countless other great books, I totally disagree.

11. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Good for you.

I though the DS9 relaunch started off great, loved it. But around Soul Key, or the book before it, it just dropped off big style.

I would love the Ascendants storyline to be finished but I dont ever expect it will be.

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The DS9 Relaunch got a bit screwed up with the departure of first Marco and then Margaret in rapid succession.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the DS9 Relaunch. IMO I think it did probably have to most consecutive great books of any series, with 19 from Avatar through Warpath. I still enjoyed Fearful Symmetry and Soul Key, just not as much as the ones before. The Never-Ending Sacrifice was amazing, but that's more of a side story to the rest of the main arc.

14. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I’ve only just read the first 3 books so I cant comment on the relaunch’s overall quality but so far I’ve found the books to be ok but not great. The new characters are great and a more than worthy additions to the ds9 cast and most of the regulars have been handled well. The story concepts are also good , they feel like ds9 plots and are doing a good job of picking up the loose ends from the show. However I’ve found the style of writing to be a major drawback for me so far. Avatar was split into far to many chapters for such a short book for my liking, it felt like anytime anyone walked in or out of a room a new chapter would begin, as a result I felt like the book had no flow. And I have to ask why on earth was Avatar split in two? It very much felt like one book which made the plot recaps in book two very annoying short and few though they were. Abyss was better but I swear to god if I saw the phrase “(insert character name) thought about saying” one more time I was going to start pulling my hair out, at one point it felt like it was popping up on every page.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Duologies with matching covers were selling more copies - and making a more impressive shelf display - than the combined sales of two standalone novels.

16. DS9Continuing

^^^ And Marco (the editor of the DS9 line at the time) said, I believe, that it was planned and plotted as two separate full-size novels, but when the final manuscripts came in they were rather shorter than he was expecting. But by that point it was too late to change anything, the process for the creation of two separate books was too far along, not to mention two gorgeous covers already commissioned and created. But he did say that, in retrospect, it should have just been the one novel.

17. chrinFinity

I noticed some DS9-branded novels on the announced list for 2013 publications. Hopefully...? Maybe?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There is only one DS9-branded novel on the 2013 list, part one of The Fall, which according to the catalog is a Typhon Pact-centric storyline spanning 60 days and involving the whole TNG/DS9 universe.

19. chrinFinity

Grrrraaahhh. :klingon:

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey it took 20 years to learn whatever happened to the parasites from Conspiracy so.... someone will get around to it someday.