Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was BOBW region-free? That's listed as 'Region A/1" as well.

2. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

JB Hi-Fi have it up for pre-order here: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/...the-next-generation-redemption-blu-ray/684574

Will probably be a JB exclusive, like BOBW was.

3. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep - JBHifi are putting it out exclusively for Paramount Australia.

Canada are also carrying it.

4. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

The only thing to go on for this are Amazon sales ranks as far as I know. Have been keeping an eye on them over the last few weeks and it doesn't seem to be doing too well considering this is the most popular season of all. It has now dropped out of the top 100 blu rays being easily superceded by old 3rd rate Disney movies (e.g. Lilo & Stitch, The Emperor's New Groove) super hero cartoons and a whole bunch of old movies. The only good news is that Season Four is holding in there at 63.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well your word was good enough for me to pre-order the US release, so cheers. :)

7. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

They could do a two-disc release with all three season 6 movies.
    Or they could author the mid-season two-parters with seamless branching and give the option to watch it as a one-parter.

On the other hand, they probably would hold that for the DS9 Blu-Rays.

8. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Folks, the American releases are Region Free, so you should have no trouble playing them if you buy from Amazon. The disc is also cheap enough to fall under the import duty tax threshold - so it should be straight forward. Pre-order through Amazon .com: http://amzn.to/YjPHJf

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

:techman:

10. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Amazon has this listed now for 77.99 and redemption for 16.99. Im kinda disappointed that we havent had any new info yet and the release is roughly 40 days away. Not even mention of an event on fathoms website.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to think we're not getting a fathom event. Maybe the honeymoon period is wearing off, but I thought these events were money makers. I know the theater I went to for Season 3 was almost full, probably the same amount of people who were in the theater I was in when I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness.

12. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

The "moneymaker" part of the Fathom events shouldn't really play into anything; I believe the profits go to some charity.

13. tomalak301

I only bring it up because everything in this world is money based.

14. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Some of the profits certainly did go to charity, to the Red Cross, apparently. This is from the BOBW Fathom press release:

"CBS is a proud and long-standing supporter of the American Red Cross and will continue to show its support through this event. CBS will make a financial donation to support the Red Cross which shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families."

Which is a great, laudable, wonderful thing for them to do -- and not to take anything away from CBS, but it's worth mentioning that any monetary contribution to the Red Cross is fully tax-deductible (up to 10% of a corporation's taxable income for the tax year, according to the IRS). So it's definitely good for the Red Cross, and it's just as good for CBS because the optics are good and they eventually get that money back!

Of course, what the Red Cross truly needs (even more than money) is blood... and if they were to organize a blood drive to go along with the screenings, that would be really cool. But I understand that a movie theater is probably not the best environment for that -- people are probably eating a lot of fatty foods in the hours leading up to or during the screening. :)

The only financial data I was able to find about Fathom was that they had 90 events and made $34.2 million 2012. That's an average of $380,000 per event. Two of those events were TNG ones and something tells me they did better than the average.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/121...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

15. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Maybe the reason CBS isn't promoting season 4 is that they feel all the promotion and advertising for the previous seasons was enough to make people aware that season 4 will be out soon. Or they have found advertising isn't increasing their sales sufficiently beyond what they would expect from the hardcore fans?

16. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if there is a conflict with Into Darkness, which should still be in theaters at time? Would they not be able to do a Fathom event if the movie is still out?

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What? Fanthom events and STID have nothing to do with each other. The Fanthom thing is one day special events and would be arranged by CBS not Paramount.

18. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Right, I know they're separate. This is just my speculation, but I wonder if Paramount is concerned that having two Star Treks in theaters on the same night might take away from whatever box office STID would do (even if its one night during the week). And since it sounds like there's friction between CBS and Paramount, CBS may have decided to stay out of the way and do the next Fathom screening in the fall for season 5 when STID will have closed. Since the profits from Fathom are going to charity, its not like they're losing money.

But having a Fathom screening while STID is playing puts Trek back in competition with itself (even though its just one night) which everyone probably wants to avoid. I'm sure Abrams would not be pleased if old Star Trek episodes are screened in the theater next to his new movie.

I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see an event for season 4!

19. tomalak301

If there was going to be a fathom event, it won't be until Late July anyway, like the 25th or somewhere around there. I have to think by that time STID would have run it's course, at least in the US, where the Fathom events are pretty much held. I'm not sure where these are internationally though, and I do know some countries aren't getting STID until August for some reason.

20. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Ok, im lost. What friction are you referring to?