Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone - July 2014

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The sentence said "literally... the first ever crossover to feature characters from all 5 series." The "literally" means the sentence must be taken exactly as phrased.

2. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Aah sorry there for lack of clarity

Of course the books and comics ARE official however some fan films are very very well known even if they are not official.

I thought this was the first single story to feature 'regular' characters from all 5 Treks - Brave and the Bold is an anthology - if you count guest characters Destiny is possibly the first as the omnibus is one long mega-novel however I had no idea about Watching The Clock.

Either way I am slightly obsessed with Trek crossovers so this should be lots of fun :)

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Indeed. I love it when main characters from multiple series appear and work together. :drool:

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Indeed; who knows - it could lead to a bigger crossover? Four ships [Five with Defiant!] (an a space station) time travel team-up mini-series for the 50th?!

Knowing IDW they'd throw in the JJ crew too through a vortex! Lmao maybe they could take Spock Prime home while they're at it :devil:

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there also a story in Tales of the Dominion War which involved Crusher and Bashir working together with an EMH Mark 1, McCoy was somehow involved, and they were working from files of Phlox's notes and logs?

6. Christopher

Why, yes, you're right! "Mirror Eyes" by Heather Jarman and Jeffrey Lang. The use of Phlox's notes is only briefly referenced at the end, but is pivotal in solving the problem.

But I'd say it falls short of a full crossover, because the EMH is not the same individual from Voyager, and Phlox's involvement is peripheral.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds closer than The Brave and the Bold to me - I don't recall there being any interaction between the various series in those books.

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

In Brave and the Bold it's a common enemy the bridges the TOS-era to the TNG-era. The final part does involve TNG characters, DS9 characters and Ambassador Spock and there's an offhand mention to Voyager's logs and Archer's logs.

"Mirror Eyes" is pretty fun, though.

9. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

So no true 5-series crossover has ever been made? Pity. It seems like a lucrative opportunity to me. Though I suppose it would be difficult to have every single main character from all 5 series to have a meaningful role.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brent Spiner's planned sequel to Nemesis would have been a "Justice League of Trek", using time travel to resurrect Data and bring together all the crews (or rather, all the actors they could afford/would agree to appear) against a similar alliance of Trek villains. It was cancelled in favour of a Romulan War movie which was also cancelled in favour of the excellent reboot.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  11. The Wormhole

I'd be surprised if Pocket or IDW didn't attempt some sort of crossover for the 50th. Even if it is just a linked storyline like most of Pocket's multi-series crossovers (you know, Invasion, Day of Honor, Section 31, that sort of thing). Or even standalone adventures for each series that culminates in a team-up finale (like Gateways or IDW's Doctor Who 50th anniversary series).

12. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Any word on this comic book? It comes out next week, I guess. Greatly looking forward to it!

13. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Well, they're going so far as to use DS9 promotional shots for the "Q Gambit" photo covers, never mind the contents of the comics. Either they've sorted a short-term general Prime universe licence for that - with the Flesh and Stone one-shot them taking further advantage of it - or there's some serious flexibility as long as they don't use the actual DS9/VOY/ENT logos.

14. The Wormhole

IDW used to have a DS9 license, maybe that presents some loophole they're taking advantage of with The Q Gambit?

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

It could be CBS can decide to allow IDW to utilize things on a case-by-case basis as there is no competing comics license holder at the moment?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  16. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

I think this is an alarming practice, where ONE person says they're interested in seeing something in print, and therefore they think they're qualified to assert it will be profitable for the publisher.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Some preview pages here-
    http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2014/07/flesh-and-stone-preview.html#more

:) And just to be a big geek I'm slightly irked straight away that there's a Benzite with a respiration device when DS9: The Ship showed they didn't need them anymore.

There's also a panel that describes the Doctor thus- "Emergency Medical Hologram that gained sentience during USS Voyager's long return to the Alpha Quadrant."
    Hmm, would you say he gained sentience during the trip? Seems to me he grew an awful lot as an individual but was always sentient. Hard to say... what would others think?

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I believe that he was sentient from the moment he was activated.

19. Christopher

Most humans don't need reading glasses anymore in the 23rd century, but Kirk is allergic to Retnax-5. Maybe something similar is the case here.

Holodeck characters appear sentient even though they're not. One can't really tell from cursory observation just when the Doctor became sentient. I tend to think that the potential was always there, but most EMHs weren't meant to be kept in continuous use, so they weren't given the opportunity for the necessary complexity to grow in their neural networks. And the unusual challenges the EMH faced aboard Voyager may have forced his software to drive itself to a higher level of operation in order to cope with them; and Kes's encouragement of his development probably helped as well. But I don't think a specific moment of "awakening" can be pinpointed; it was probably more a gradual emergence of complexity, like an infant growing into a child, only faster.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Thanks for sharing the preview.

I don't see a problem with the Benzite breather, too. Maybe a treatment is necessary to get rid of the breathers and not every Benzite is willing to do that. That's suggested in the Worlds RPG.

In STO, Benzites are playable characters and it's the player's choice whether to install a breather or not. I'm trying to think of a real life analog but nothings springs to mind.

Anyway, there are two things to nitpick in the preview. Please not, I only skimmed the text to avoid severe spoilers (and because I don't have Retnax-5 ;)). However, on first glance every doctor depicted therein is a white!Human. On second glance, there's the Doctor, and one of the Human doctors has a darker shade of skin, so he could be ethnic.

It's not like that I have anything against white people or Humans, but the Federation's strength is diversity. Moreover, comics don't have a budget limit - why not have a non-humanoid? Something mind-bending, or alien eye-candy.