Early color footage (1922 kodachrome film test)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 12, 2013.

1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

I cam across this video of a 1922 color footage filmed by Kodak. This video was quite amazing to me. That is why i decided to share it with you all. I get goosebumps on thinking whether these people are still alive?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Amazing! Thanks for sharing this.

It does make you wonder why they used black and white for so long before moving over to colour.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Likely costs. It was probably much cheaper to use black and white film stock. Plus, this looks very experimental, and experimental usually means expensive to produce consistently.

Still, it's an amazing example!
    According to a video on Youtube, this may be the oldest color film footage from 1901/1902:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=1V0Vc5iRoLY[/yt]

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The flag in the video above looks like the old Canadian flag before they changed to the maple leaf.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

This is amazing. It's so weird seeing the women of this period in motion in color. Makes them seem closer to today somehow. I totally feel for the the third girl, with the greens dress and the hat. Adorable. Probably way to old for or dead at this point, but adorable. Last one kinda shocked me a bit since she looks a lot like my ex, facial mannerisms and all.

In any case, great stuff.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm thinking that, yes, a 20-something girl filmed 90 years ago is either too old for you now, or dead. ;)

Amazing-looking color in the video there for the time.

7. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

There's a slight chance, yes :lol:

8. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

FAKE!! Everyone knows that the world before the 1960s was in black and white... The internets told me so...

Seriously though, those are very cool... Kind of surreal to see color footage from back then.

9. Trekker4747

It's interesting how much "for granted" we take all of the technology we have today especially when it comes to capturing images and sound. Back when these young women were filmed in color for one of the first times it probably wasn't even conceivable to professionals in the field the things we can do today with image capturing. Ultra-High Resolution, 3D, deep colors, hell even taking pictures of things that are invisible to the naked eye on Earth but are galaxies millions of lightyears away. The Hubble Deep Field image would probably blow the minds of those working with images back then.

This image I always found neat too:

[​IMG]

Said to be the first image of a person captured on camera. (On the street corner.) Taking at a time when cameras were just becoming a thing and had very long exposure times. Such long exposure times anything moving in the field of vision to the camera was invisible. The people/person in the corner is likely getting his shoes shined so just happened to be standing still long enough for the camera to capture him. In "reality" there would've been a good deal of pedestrian and cart traffic on the road and sidewalk. The picture is from 1838.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I wonder if these are anything like the 2-strip technicolor they tried in the 30's, though that stuff was known to disintegrate.

12. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Actually, experimental 2-color Technicolor existed as early as 1916. Full 3-strip Technicolor was first used in the 1933 Disney cartoon Flowers and Trees. The first live-action feature film in full Technicolor was Becky Sharp in 1935.

As for "disintegrating," all nitrate film stock, whether color or black and white, starts to decompose after a few decades.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ I remember references to 2-strip technicolor being used on a couple MGM Three Stooges shorts that are "lost films".

But they have the B&W stuff to remaster from, including other MGM ones from the same period.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beautiful. Awesome.

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Wow, that was moving. The music helped that too (if anybody knows what it is, let me know).

I might get into trouble for this, but the 3rd girl, wearing a teal top of some kind, to me bears a resemblance our own tsq. Must be that timeless sense of style. :)

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Stylewise, maybe. Other than that I'm not really seeing it to be honest.

18. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see that either, but she is striking, and I can't really explain why...

19. Trekker4747

i see more of TSQ int he first girl, to be honest.