The Kelvin's uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by NCC-1967, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Flight suits. Take away jippers and pockets from the ENT ones, dye the denim into departmental colours reflecting The Cage - Gold, Blue, Sandy Biege. Add a horizonal Starfleet (UESPA?) Delta and a Kelvin patch on each arm.

In TOS whenever colonists or miners are shown, they're usually in jumpsuits. I'm thinking Devil in the Dark, This Side of Paradise... Perhaps the rest of the Federation get Stafleet cast-offs from previous decades.

2. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Why does Abrams have "cohorts" instead of "co-workers"? Is he a super villain?

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I suppose that depends upon where you're standing.

4. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Textured Uniforms, I believe, is there to add detail for the big screen.

Also, it has an interesting effect under lighting, if you look at the Bridge pictures.

I like the new uniforms, since they resemble the Original Series, are instantly recognizable, and yet add a level of detail necessary for the Big Screen.

5. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Silly question, but... if the Kelvin is contemporary with the 1701 in the film, why would the crews wear anything other than the same uniforms as the 1701 crew, but with different insignia?

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's not contemporary; more than one time period is depicted in the movie. The ship itself is supposed to be from a design generation before that of NCC-1701, and the events involving the Kelvin are supposed to include James Kirk's father among the crew and take place at a time before our Kirk's birth.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because "Abrams and his cohorts" is a lot cooler to say than "Abrams and his co-workers."

8. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Ooops.... err.. I mean "Very well, then. Carry on!" :)

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least nobody's saying "The Dark Lord Abrams and his evil minions (tm)."

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

But you know we're all thinking it. :shifty:

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That explains the "Death Star/Mordor" comment! :eek:

12. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

As for the registry number. I'm really not sure what the fuss is. I see them as ID numbers, am I far off with that? Well your social security number (or whatever the equivalent is outside the US, I really don't know.) is your own personal ID. You might be asking what I'm getting at by making that comparison. Well here it is, one of my friend's social starts with 001.

Speaking of 001, if there was a problem with 0 being before the higher numbers, why is earth in Sector 001 as has been on screen many times. Wouldn't it be in Sector 1?

That and Enterprise... I know, ALOT of people don't like enterprise, but it still sets a precedent for the 0 registry, NX-01, not NX-1. So yeah... I personally don't see a problem.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Three-dimensional space is mapped with three grid axes: x, y and z.

Earth is at "0, 0, 1" on that grid.

14. Kaziarl

The star charts I see on screen always throw me off. They always seem to show one layer of blocks instead of multiple. Hmm... wonder whats in sector 000, I would assume there is one.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Emergency Reset Button.

16. Kaziarl

Aha! A way to explain every problem anyone has with the new movie!

17. Ol Scratch

Ol Scratch Lieutenant Commander

Especially since Enterprise made such registry numbers canonical years ago. The final episode of The Next Generation also made odd-numbered nacelles canonical, as did a few kit-bashes throughout the franchise.

I personally think the Kelvin looks silly with only one nacelle, but I don't see anything wrong with it having only one.

18. Kaziarl

It was cannon long before enterprise went on the air too

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Freedom_class

It's on screen, there for it's legit. The Cannon Bible Thumpers don't have much of an argument for the one nacelle issue.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He says something like "Is that supposed to be some kind of uniform?" I'd think that the rank braid on the sleeves is what suggested that to him.

20. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Maybe they added the 0 prefix to registry numbers on all ships when the 1000th ship came out.