Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ :lol: Good one!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that was an awesome trailer. I love Netflix!

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I was really impressed by the use of the classic "Yoda's Theme" along with the cameo voiceover at the very beginning. "Yoda's Theme" is one of the most beautiful pieces that John Williams has ever composed.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wish they'd used more of Williams's themes in the scoring of the actual show. But I guess that would cost more in residuals to Williams.

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I think the show's score is one of its strengths. Kiner has done an amazing job with it. He will still weave Williams themes into the score when it's appropriate, but almost always with a new take them. I like that he isn't simply re-using the themes over and over again. He's kept the sound fresh and unique. And his work in the last Ahsoka episodes was amazing.

I really wish they'd release more soundtracks than just the one for the movie.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was surprised how rarely they actually used any of William's music on TCW (even if it was just his stuff from the prequels). Aside from the residual issue, I wonder if they were just trying to avoid having it so far outshine the other music in the show (good though it was).

I'm really hoping the new Rebels show won't be as shy with using the original music. Especially since the fun, adventurous themes of the OT would seem to be an even better fit with the tone they're going for there.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's explained in the commentary for the finale of season 5 they didn't want to diminish its emotional impact when they did use it for their most important moments.

8. cooleddie74

The moments where the Imperial March subtly creeps its way into the soundtrack of the show really bring back memories and remind the audience what the future holds for some of these characters we've come to know and love. I can remember hearing the Imperial March inserted into the closing moments of "Anakin's Theme" in Episode I and feeling chills.

Williams is unequalled.

9. Greylock Crescent

^ The Episode I score is just brilliant (IMO). I swear I hear strains of Vader's theme in "The Sith Spacecraft/The Droid Battle" track (from 1:50-2:05). I owe my love of film music to Williams - Star Wars, Indiana Jones, E.T. Jurassic Park, Jaws, Harry Potter ... so many of The Movies' iconic moments are scored by him. And his Star Wars scores sit squarely at the top of all of them. So when those themes do show up in Clone Wars (and, hopefully, in Rebels, too) those moments are all the more noteworthy and special.

10. cooleddie74

More than a few in the audience left the theater before Vader's breathing could be heard at the end of the closing credits. Later on there were people who'd say things like: "What? You could hear Darth Vader breathing in the end credits? Where? You sure about that?"

This is why I almost always stay until the end credits are finished rolling. Long before the Marvel movies existed, not remaining in your seat for the entire credits sequence could lead to missing out on some interesting things. ;)

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I always used to stay to read the credits because I think the people who worked on a film deserve recognition. These days, though, it's easier just to look up the movie on IMDb and scroll through the credits there, especially since credits these days have so many more names and go by too fast to read. Usually I stay for the music too, but often the music these days isn't to my taste at all. (I found the end title music to The Matrix Reloaded so unbearably loud that I had to wait out in the hallway until it ended and then go back in to watch the preview for Revolutions.)

But yeah, lots of movies had post-credits bits long before Marvel. Like The Muppet Movie, which followed the lead of The Muppet Show in having a final gag at the end of the credits.

12. cooleddie74

The final shots and closing credits sequence of The Muppet Movie rank amongst my all-time favorites and still put a giant grin on my face.

Swedish Chef: "The flim is okee-dokee!"

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. Back in the day I had this thing... I'd sit through the credits (provided the music was nice) and look for Croatian / southern Slavic names. :)

For example, a lot of my countrymen worked on The Gladiator. The producer (Branko Lustig) being a Croat might have had something to do with it.

14. Greylock Crescent

Here's that Vader-theme-sounding moment in TPM:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYA8n-4pPw&start=109[/yt]

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd put the Superman theme right up there near the top as well, although I agree he created so many great and iconic themes for SW that it deserves the top spot itself.

16. Greylock Crescent

Superman! I knew I was leaving a big one out of that list. :lol:

Yep, that one's brilliant, too.

17. cooleddie74

Even the weakest and most disappointing film in the Saga (AOTC) has "Across the Stars," the stunning and memorable love theme of Anakin and Padmé. The two characters might have exchanged awful and just plain embarrassing romantic dialogue but the music written to depict their growing bond of love is sublime and one of the greatest things about the second Prequel.

18. Greylock Crescent

Yeah ... if you listen to "Love Pledge and the Arena" it contains not only a beautiful rendition of Across The Stars, but also a pounding rendition of the Droid Theme. Of course, the score also ends with another haunting transition to Vader's theme - from the love theme, to Anakin's theme ... to Vader's:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfLCFnG3yhk&start=549[/yt]

19. Buck Bokai

Buck Bokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Williams music...

Oh, and yay Ugnaughts!