STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am happy that the film succeeded. For me, the success of this film has extended its life span a few more years. I am hoping that the next film will have greater success with the younger audience. It distresses me when I see things stagnating and/or dieing.

2. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, awesome logic. "Into Darkness" is currently number 8 and people "stopped coming to see it," yet Iron Man 3 is number 11 and people are "still seeing it."

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well yeah, Tulin's logic does fall apart when you consider that STID is running on hundreds of more screens in the U.S. right now that IM3, and still will be this weekend. :lol:

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Then you must have despised Berman Trek.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That was a long and painful death spiral.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep spinning that STiD is in trouble guys...'cause it's damn funny.

7. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wheeling is closer to me than Charleston, but then so is Pittsburgh, which still has a few theaters playing STID.

Even closer than either of those cities: Washington, PA. The Regal there is showing Trek once a day this weekend.

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Here, in Kingston, it is still playing in both our cinemas. Cineplex has it in 3D, and Empire has it in 2D and 3D.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It's playing on a lot more screens than Iron Man in English language cinemas in the Montreal region. Didn't check the French ones (I don't watch dubbed movies if I can avoid it).

10. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, protests in Brazil are not helping STID box office. Many people liked the movie, but now, it is difficult to go to a theater in a calm and peaceful atmosphere.

11. khan2

khan2 Ensign Newbie

Yeah, guess that's why Hangover III is making more in its 3rd week of Brazilian release than STID is in its first week even though STID is showing in 10% more theaters than Hangover III. If only things were more calm and peaceful. :rolleyes:

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Wow. :rolleyes:

Hope you're staying safe, ralph and things settle down quickly.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And it hasn't even opened yet in Spain, Greece, Venezuela, Argentina or Japan. That oughta be good for at least a few more dollars

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That was a needlessly rude reaction to such a harmless and mundane comment. Cool it with the attitude.

15. khan2

khan2 Ensign Newbie

<khan mode off>
    My apologies, I have been following news coverage of the protests and hope that they will lead to meaningful reforms for the people of Brazil.
    </khan mode on>

16. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cities are calm. The protests are against government agencies. The protest was against corruption and the recent scandals Involving allegations of embezzling public money with FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Previous governments used the policy of bread and circuses to make people feel happy, without protest. But today there is a different thought. Soccer is the national passion but it's not the most important thing to brazillian.

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsNJtnUb7c[/yt]

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Thursday number: $522,864 for $213,610,916 so far. Box office was hampered on Thursday across the board because of the big NBA game. Friday increases should be bigger than usual as things return to normal.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you have the sense that I do, that doing the "adjusted numbers" thing in comparing box office is basically bullshit? By that I mean it misleads into the notion that we're then comparing apples to apples, but that's premised on the ridiculous proposition that all other variables are somehow equal or can be made equal.

IMAO there's actually no reasonable way to compare either the economic decisions or the taste of someone in, say, 1939 deciding to spend some change on The Wizard Of Oz to someone deciding in 2009 to drop twenty dollars to see Avatar in IMAX. It's always apples-to-oranges.