Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe that other FX house is better. Hopefully it can't get worse, even though I think the only way it does get worse is if the quality is below that of the original DVDs.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not absolutely wonderful news, but still pretty good news. So CBS-D is working on the live action in-house, but the effects are done by another studio. CBS-D made it clear they had zero oversight and involvement with HTV, and it showed.

At the very least, there will be no DNR in the live action scenes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm probably hoping for too much, but it would be really nice if CBS had CBS-D do all the effects for BOBWII even if they don't do the rest of season 4.

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't HTV just a post production house and not an FX house? Give them a bit of credit. The live action stuff looks great. At the end of the day, CBS is responsible for quality control and this is the second time in a row that mistakes haven't been corrected before the discs go to press. Sure HTV's work is sloppy, but more importantly, CBS didn't notice or didn't care that the end result was subpar.

5. jimbotron

Sure it is, until they hit it with the DNR stick.

6. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which they only used on the FX shots. Visual effects just isn't HTV's expertise. My point is that CBS should've known that.

7. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Even though its not the news most where hoping for, the original schedule was tight enough as it was. Hoping CBS D would do seasons 4 & 6 as well as 5 & 7 within the time restrictions was a long shot at best. But I imagine these guys wont make the same mistake twice and again they've proved they listen to their fan base by sending HTV packing.

I really don't buy that they let an entire season of subpar FX work slip by. Glaring mistakes aside, I believe that HTV and their consultants took a different approach with Season 2 to make it as close to the original as possible, to recapture the original viewing experience. But as soon as the caps of the work went public and the uproar from the fan base over its deviation from the Season 1 FX and its down-right inferiority, it went right out the window.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldnt surprise me that HTV got the job because Curry is associated with them and during a nice and cozy dinner secured the deal. ;)

I wonder how many epic facepalms you got in the house of CBS-D while watching Season 2 and if them guys would love to "restaurate" some material from that season. ;)

9. jimbotron

Very true. CBS is just as culpable in this, in fact more so than HTV. HTV is just the hired gun, and CBS seemingly made no attempt to check the quality. CBS was irresponsible. Haven't they ever heard the term "trust, but verify"? And poor CBS-D is stuck in the middle, seeing their baby get mishandled.

Looking at HTV's record, I'm not sure what their expertise is, PERIOD. Did this whole thing happen just because Dan Curry worked there?

10. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. jimbotron

All of this is moot however if CBS-D can't at least supervise the effects work from this other effects house.

CBS deciding to outsource to yet another effects house is simply throwing HTV under the bus. CBS is not acknowledging that their decision to outsource was a bad idea, just that HTV sucked. They need to drop the accelerated release schedule and let CBS-D do their thing 100%.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Really, I just can't believe what I'm seeing. Somebody tell me this is just a poorly timed joke - please.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

To be fair, CBS digital ran into the same problem on the shot of the cryo-probe in "The Neutral Zone." (Although it was less apparent since it was at the bottom of the screen and against a space background, and not a planet).

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

what episode is that from?

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Really, I'll have to review that. I can definitely give them a pass however, bearing in mind the overall excellence of their S1 work.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

just checked it, its not that noticeable but wow.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in CBS's defense, the second season DID have a bunch of original effects guys on board, plus the Okudas overseeing everything. I'm sure they assumed the work would be good.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well regardless, it appears that they're at least AWARE of the problem. Which is the important thing.

Otherwise they would have just kept using HTV.

20. jimbotron