The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think there is something going on with the tea

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting observation. That didn't occur to me until you bring it up now and that the Governor went out of his way to comment on the scientists tea.

Another observation: Interesting the scientist immediately recognized that Michoone knew the zombies personally before they turned

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

*grin*... My thought exactly...

On the subject of the soldiers... The arguement could be made that they would be a perfect addition to the community, but I have an idea the Gov would view them as a real threat to his authority.. Easy solution.. Kill 'em and take their stuff..

On the tea... Yea.. I noticed that too... I also noticed how the scientist guy kept figiting with the tea pot at the breakfast table.. Kept picking it up and shifting it around... Of course, that could be explained by different camera angles and different takes of the same scene being edited in, but it stood out, and frankly was kind of distracting..

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to "Talking Dead" afterwards, the writers threw that in as one of them loves tea and showing up to work in a jacket & tie, etc. It's a neat character quirk, and I doubt it has any additional significance, though it does help set him apart as a person.

Plus, I think it's only natural if you group of survivor has a resident educated guy, to put him to wokr trying to understand the zombie menace. It does grow the universe a little without really fundamentally altering it; although now in TWD if anyone ends up on the road by themselves, they should disable their closest walker, lop off the arms and jaw, and feel a BIT safer in the wilderness thereafter.

Mark

5. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not buying that tea observation. And he was going to add something after but the host interupted him and changed the topic.

the people there are all a little stepford wife-ish. And Andrea drank the tea and got all docile after.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well it's not like there's anything to watch on TV anymore. ;)

Seriously though, if they stick with what's in the comics, you ain't seen the half of it yet! The Governor is a complete and total psycho nutjob....but, there is a reason...and that's all I'm saying.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, what they showed strongly implied some larger implications for the tea. Either that or it was a product placement deal for the IngeneuiTea teapot (a fine product!).

I also took the ambush of the army convoy as the governor trying to insure that, whatever the future brings, he is going to be the honcho. The military represents some central authority and could rival his power base; that "threat" had to be eliminated. He lied to the people about it, though, so he knows not everyone would support him; there's a possible schism in the community between the inner circle of "soldiers" and everyone else.

Justin

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode, although I do kinda think they rushed into the "Governor is a scary nutjob" thing too fast. I think it would have been more effective to hold off on that for a couple episodes, and let Michonne or Andrea learn the truth only gradually.

But then I realize it wouldn't have fit this season's new, faster-paced style, and most people wouldn't have had the patience for that.

9. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the way the Governor acted and talked it was pretty obvious there was going to be a reveal that he was quite two-faced, but the ending was pretty psycho.

The other thing about him I found interesting. Does anyone else think he sounds a lot like Liam Neeson? He even looks like he could pass as Liam Neeson's brother or cousin.

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! I told my wife "Close your eyes and you'll think it's Liam Neeson."

Justin

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the same thought! Definetely trying to suppress his accent..

12. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Knowing nothing about the Governor character, that last scene seemed pretty random. It's good to know that there's some kind of motivation driving the character.

13. DarthTom

:lol: See, only Star Trek would cast a British Actor to play a Frenchman and leave the British accent intact. ;)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that was great. I knew about the Governor's reputation going in, but I have admit I was starting to think maybe the TV show version wasn't going to be that bad...... and then we got the scene with the army guys and the last scene with the heads. Definitely very very bad.

15. DarthTom

We will see if they follow the comic book regarding his motivations:

16. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

And don't forget him killing all the soldiers from that National Guard unit.

I haven't read the comics, but the Govenor seems like a serial killer to me.

17. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

At least it isn't his niece as a pet.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's the zombie apocalypse. Technically, isn't everyone a bit serial killer-ish by this point? ;)

The Governor is clearly a nutter, but there is method there and remember, it wasn't just him, but a whole bunch of his men that slaughtered those soldiers. The mens' ability to control the people of Woodbury hinges on everyone looking to them for safety. Having a bunch of trained weekend warrior types (I'm assuming the National Guard is something like our Territorial Army?) would undermine them. Plus, as we saw having those men "eaten by walkers" because they were outside the walls is an effective object lesson for the civvies.

I should probably mention how much I'm liking how they're characterising Michonne. Of course by this point in the comics there had been more time to get to know her so she's not *quite* the slightly-schizo-super-ninja she was there...yet. Still, I thing the actress has got the whole "coiled spring/caged jaguar" attitude down pretty well.

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I notice that no one has commented on the reemergence of Merele yet. I got the disctinct feeling that he to was uneasy with the Governor.

What is surprising is that Andrea was not particularly concerned by Merele's presence. Now admittedly we know nothing about what their relationship was like prior to Rick's awakening. Maybe she never saw him as threatening.