Naming A Ship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Bry_Sinclair, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Movie night aboard the Boone would look something like this:

http://youtu.be/qdMA2spF0Bg

2. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I designed the Archer class ship, so I discussed ship names a bit with Marco Palmieri, the editor behind the books. The name of the ship in the books was USS Sagittarius, so I think all ships were named after famous archers. Unless the captain of the USS Enterprise (NX-01) was famously handy with a bow and arrow, I suspect the ships of the class weren't named after him. In fact, I suspect the class is like some UK Royal Navy classes that are named for a theme (e.g., Tribal class, County class) rather than for the lead ship (that is, there is no USS Archer). On Deviant Art, lots of CG artists have done scenes with Archer class ships and have given them such names as Rama, Artemis, and Scythia. So archer names are on the right track, I think.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for that Masao. I've decided to start looking down the path of famous/fictional archers to see what jumps out at me.

4. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Might I make one last suggestion? What about Wanderer? I'm not beholden to the name so you're welcome to use it, sir. :bolian:

5. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

If I had a starship, I'd name it the Tardis. :angel:

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm....

USS Oliver Queen?
    USS Clint Barton?

:)

7. Bry_Sinclair

I'm acutally thinking of going with the S.S. Hawkeye :)

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    You know that's Clint's nom de guerre, right? :)

9. Bry_Sinclair

I do. I just think Hawkeye sounds better.

That and I generallt dislike ships that have someone's full name, if they're not famous enough to be known by just their surname they don't deserve a starship named after them :lol:

10. Bry_Sinclair

I thought I'd share the fantastic photomanipulations made by FltCpt. Bossco for the crew of my little civvie ship (who I hope to tinker with in the near future). So here you have the crew of the Daystrom Institute (DI) research scout Hawkeye (2378):
    [​IMG]

Warren Bakare (Captain) - Chiwetel Ejiofor
    Leyn Naavar (Boatswain) - Lena Headey
    Halora Jofe (Engineer) - Miranda Hart
    Kayden Nell (Communications) - Richard Winsor
    Jill Reese (Helmswoman) - Carey Mulligan
    Echo (DI Android) - Sienna Guillory
    T'Lyn Kenyon (Archaeologist) - Karima Adebibe
    Rodahl (Researcher) - Kevin McKidd
    Vani Sharma (Sciences) - Parminder Nagra
    Sissrook (Forensics) - Clive Owen (voice)
    Ry-Vahn (Scout) - Henry Cavill
    Kier Balen (Intern) - Luke Mably

All credit for the work goes to the artist, all I did was the casting.

11. admiralelm11

I like it but how do you explain a Bajoran in the 23rd century? And a Bolian? Because we didn't see either in canon Trek until TNG so I'm curious about how you're going to spin this.

This looks like this could be one of your more successful crews like Silverfin and Trident. :bolian:

12. Bry_Sinclair

Because it set in 2378.

13. admiralelm11

Oh, duh, I feel stupid. Why such an old ship? Anyways, great crew selection!

14. Bry_Sinclair

From my first post:
    The ship may look old on the outside, but the DI has radically upgraded every system without losing any of the aesthetics or styling.

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given that everyone except the CO and XO on an Archer-class ship apparently bunk in pairs/shifts, who gets to share a bedspace with a Gorn? ;)

Mark

16. Bry_Sinclair

For the Hawkeye the accommodations are a little different than when she was first launched in 2264. Captain Bakare and Doctor Kenyon are the ones who occupy the single cabins (as the ship's CO and science team leader respectively), whilst all then other cabins have been fitted with bunkbeds so the rest of the crew share:
    - Naavar and Sharma
    - Jofe and Reese
    - Kayden and Balen
    - Rodahl and Ry-Vahn

Echo doesn't require sleep, instead she simply recharges in the lab or engine room when needed. Doctor Sissrook is a late addition to the crew and, as yet, I've still got to figure out exactly where he will be bunking.

17. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is your captain actually going to be a full four-pip Captain? That seems a bit excessive for such a small crew.

A lieutenant would seem a more appropriate CO for a ship that size.

18. Bry_Sinclair

The Hawkeye is a civilian ship so she doesn't work with the Starfleet rank system. For each crewmembers primary position I've tried to avoid using 'officer' to describe them, whilst the post of 'Captain' is more a title than a rank.

Since rank doesn't play much of a role on the ship (for the most part everyone is called by the first name) I haven't really spent time thinking up the Daystrom Institutes ranking structure--I will get to that sometime though. In the Vanguard series though they had a three braid Captain, as well as a Commander, Lieutenant Commander and six other officers on a ship with 14 crew, so they do seem to be ships that are somewhat disproportionate in their officer-enlisted ratio.

19. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really?

Has it really gotten so bad that we're using 'helmswoman' to describe a female helmsman?

20. Bry_Sinclair

I usually don't have an issue using helmsman for female, neutral or multi-gendered personnel that handle the stick and rudder. I went with woman as I think it fits with the kind of character Miss Reese is.

It could have been worse, I could have gone with helmsperson. Originally I was going with the job title 'Pilot', but I always think that fits better with shuttles, rather than actual ships.

Currently trying to work on the pilot story now.