Favourite Trek Technology

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by asdf1, Jun 3, 2008.

1. asdf1

asdf1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Out of all of the wondrous technologys seen in trek, which one is your favourite.

Personally, i'd love a replicator, but what about everyone else.

2. AlxxlA

AlxxlA Lieutenant Red Shirt

Definitely a replicator, although perhaps a Phaser would be nice.

3. Pheon

Pheon Commander Red Shirt

Holodeck - as for why, I'll leave that to your imagination. :p

4. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

must admit I'd go for a starship myself then go out and conquer or failing that a holodeck wouldn't go a miss
    no wait i know the android Andrea fro the tos episode with the robot Corby? nurse chapels boyfriend

5. anais

anais Captain Captain

Or you could just get a starship that comes with a holodeck ;)

Me, I like the tricorder. Nothing escapes a tricorder.

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Andrea of Exo-III.

7. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

I too have to go with the Replicator.

It has to be the most useful technology in day to day life.

8. chancellorjake

chancellorjake Captain Captain

I'd like to get my hands on some of the medical technology that Beverly, Julian and the EMH used. It would be very useful.
    I'd, also, like to own a Replicator. It would probably be overused, though.

9. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

An industrial replicator.
    It would be able to help out in making numerous things and probably construction of a shuttle such as the Delta Flyer :D
    I suppose replicating a shuttle would take away energy from the globe during the process ... in several turns ... :D ... but it would be nice.
    Heck I'd settle with a Type 9 shuttle.
    Piece by piece and then assemble it.
    :D

10. asdf1

Didn't the Delta Flyer use advanced borg technology, even a standard industrial replicator wouldn't allow you to construct a Delta Flyer.

11. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Watching 'TNG-3-05 The Bonding' today, I noticed Dr Crusher using a hand tool to operate her computer, what looked like a pen that copied and pasted data.

This is something we could build today, to replace the mouse and provide a very ergonomic way of interfacing with computers.

Imagine having a video you were watching, and you wanted to copy it to another computer. You point the tool at the video on one screen, press the copy button, then point the tool at a folder icon on your other computer's desktop, press the paste button and the video is copied there.

It could work rather like a pen drive, that interfaces with computers via bluetooth. Pointing the thing at a screen connects the tool like a mouse, identifying whatever is below the cursor and copying the data to the pen drive via bluetooth. To paste, the reverse happens.

It could also do text copying and simple things moved around one computer screen.

I think it would be very useful.

Opinions?

12. asdf1

Useful, yes, incredibly. But its still a few years off from being invented, not alot, less than 20.

13. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

Warp drive.

It could allow us to get out there and start colonizing the stars, which, ultimately, is the only hope for our future continuation as a species.

14. Jadzia

Well it could be built TODAY, if someone got buy busy with microcontrollers. The only additional driver software to program would be the bit that identifies what to be copied and then gives the copying command. Everything else already happens -- protocols for connecting bluetooth and wireless storage and plugnplay cursors already exist.

So for the identifying bit, there are two ways:

The clever way: Hand tool has a camera which takes a photo of the computer screen it is looking at - the bit in the middle of the image is what the cursor is under. SIMPLE image recognition then relates that to a screen capture image, to see what computer object should be manipulated.

The quick way: On connecting the tool as a plugnplay mouse, it changes the computer's mouse cursor to a flashing dot. The tool has maybe 4 ORP12's (light dependent resistors). These can be arranged as two potential dividers, with series capacitors, one horizontally mounted, one vertically mounted. So there are like 4 eyes looking at the screen from the end of the tool, from the top/bottom/left/right of it. Together these potential dividers measure the RELATIVE position of the flashing light source to the tool on their horz-vert axes. It then nudges the mouse cursor to find an equilibrium where these light sensors are voltage balanced. At this point, the flashing cursor should be in line with the centre of the tool.

That's all there is to it. :)

15. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Replicators in late Voyager timeframe have Borg nano-probes specs, so the thing could be made without Borg systems initially, then replicate a few million nano-probes and modify them to enhance specific systems like on the Flyer.
    Simple.
    :D

16. asdf1

Methinks you ought to invent this yourself, afterall you seem to have to have a fair understanding of it.

17. Jadzia

Oh I'm no good at this stuff asdf1 - electronics and microcontrollers and windows protocols and things. I'm more science than engineering. Although I'll happily give advice to anyone who wants to try and develop it, I'm not expert enough. :rolleyes:

I just know it can be done with current PC infrastructure. Windows XP/Vista especially. Unsure about Win2000 or earlier as the plug'n'play doesn't work properly. :)

18. asdf1

Well good luck finding someone, who knows, we could all be using your device in no time!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  19. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gotta go with the holodeck....its my most favorite technology ever. Its pretty cool and interesting when the senior officers or (or one or a few of them) runs a program to do something fun.

20. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

replicators :D
    no more grocery shopping!