Third season episodes that have the quality of the first two seaons

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, May 4, 2014.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Based on the qualities of story and production, which third season episodes wouldn't seem out of place had they been part of Star Trek's first two seasons?

I think only three qualify:

"The Enterprise Incident"
    "Elaan Of Troyus"
    "The Tholien Web"

Your thoughts?

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Re: Third season episodes that have the quality of the first two seaon

The Enterprise Incident and The Tholian Web for sure, those are the two best season three episodes in my opinion.

Is There In Truth No Beauty gets my award for the TOS episode that seems most like a TNG episode. Spectre Of The Gun and The Empath get honorable mentions for being out of the ordinary, and All Our Yesterdays gets an A for effort, all four of these would have done well in season two.

And to flip this on its head for a moment, The Alternative Factor would have been right at home next to And The Children Shall Lead or The Way To Eden.

3. albion432

albion432 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The third season was definitely not as good as the first two, which were in a class of their own. If the first two seasons weren't so damn good, I think there would be less talk about the quality of the third season. That said, in order to keep the lists short, I'm going to list those episodes I feel weren't up to the quality of the first two seasons. For all the rest, if they had been filmed in the first or second season, with those seasons bigger budgets and longer filming schedules per episode, they would have been just as good as an average episode from either of the first two seasons. Here are my lists of the episodes not up to standard:

Poor Story Quality:
    Spock's Brain
    And The Children Shall Lead
    Is There In Truth No Beauty?
    The Mark Of Gideon
    Requiem For Methuselah
    The Cloud Minders
    Turnabout Intruder

Poor Production Quality:
    Is There In Truth No Beauty?
    Spectre Of The Gun
    The Empath
    Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
    The Mark Of Gideon
    The Lights Of Zetar
    The Cloud Minders

Most of the episodes I've listed are still fun to watch, even if just for a good laugh! I guess I'm just a sucker for Star Trek!

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. Push The Button

I just watched The Tholian Web. Kirk's last orders to Spock and McCoy...all I can say is, powerful stuff there.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure how you can say Is There in Truth No Beauty has poor production quality. It's one of my favorite episodes for its meaningful script, creative photography and beautiful score.

6. albion432

albion432 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget, the idea of the thread is which 3rd season episodes have the quality of the first two, so just because I didn't feel it was up to snuff with first two seasons does not necessarily mean I dislike that episode as a whole. I think it is better than at least one episode of either of the other two seasons, and probably better than more. In fact I just enjoyed rewatching Is There In Truth No Beauty within the past month.

I gave it a poor quality rating for writing due to, among other issues, the atrocious lines Roddenberry added to the dinning room scene regarding the IDIC.

The poor rating for production had mostly to do with the disappointing depiction of the Medusian and those silly shades they made Spock wear, again among other issues. Also this episode gives me a weird feeling that reminds me of when, as a kid, I'd watch tv while fighting to stay awake. It's a weird thing to say, but I don't know how else to put it.

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really love Mark of Gideon, as awkwardly handled as it was. Particularly when Spock is negotiating with the government, there, trying to get Kirk back. If any aspect of this particular episode makes me bust out laughing, it's when the woman in the fake Enterprise encounters Kirk who's trying to figure out what happened and she implores him to let all that go and "... be content." When he unloads on her, it's FUNNY! The whole thing is just absolutely bizzarre and rediculous. It's so surreal this episode that it feels like "art" to me. Especially, when Kirk opens a functioning window and sees all of these people in mime outfits pressing against eachother against a black background. I thoroughly enjoy this episode on its artistic merit ... and the message about overpopulation and its effect on the environment and all that is a good one. Not bad for a Season Three!

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’d put Day of the Dove, The Paradise Syndrome, Elaan of Troyius and even Spectre of the Gun in with the first two seasons. Mostly the second season. These were well thought out episodes with good production values, stories and a nice dose of adventure.
    Remember, not every first and second season episode was a home run either.

9. CrazyMatt

"Day of the Dove" might just make my list was well.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Is There In Truth No Beauty" was the first title that came to mind when I saw this thread.

I also have a soft spot for "All Our Yesterdays."

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

"Spectre Of The Gun"
    "The Enterprise Incident"
    "The Empath"
    "The Savage Curtian"
    "The Tholian Web"
    "All Our Yesterdays" ...and...

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" :techman:

12. CrazyMatt

Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well so I took the time to rewatch a number of episodes from the 3rd season. Outside of the music recorded for "Elaan of Troyus" and "The Enterprise Incident," most of the third season music was not as vibrant and (to me at least) enjoyable as the music from the first two seasons.

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd add Day of the Dove to that list myself.

14. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spectre of the Gun. I guess I'm an outlier. SoG consistently holds my interest deeply from the first minute to the last. Whereas I'd rank Elaan of Troyus as one of the worst eps. Just dull for me from start to finish.

I also think Let This Be Your Last Battlefield is waaaaay too pummeled for being obvious. It's SO obvious (white/black for white and black) that it's not even trying to hide it, and because it isn't, it's easy to let it go as an objection and just accept the story. The story is very good, and Frank Gorshin is awesome.

15. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think "All Our Yesterdays" is a very strong episode and personally rate it as one of the best along with "Tholian Web" "Enterprise Incident" "Day of the Dove" and I have to admit; I LOVE "Wink of an Eye" as well

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one thing I always find interesting about "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield" is the fact that BOTH Kirk and Spock still make what I would consider a somewhat racist comment in the context of the episode (the scene is cut for time in most of the syndication packages over the years, and NOT for that reason, because it is somewhat of a throwaway).

There's a scene where Kirk makes the comment to Bael that at some point in Cheron's distant evolutionary past, there MUST have been a time when the race was 'Mono-colored' (IE all one color); and Spock wholeheartedly agrees with Kirk's assessment.

The thing is - without hard anthropological evidence, that's a hell of a 'scientific' statement to make; and honestly fairly racist considering Beal and Loki's current appearance.:lol:

17. Push The Button

I love how the ship's self-destruct passwords are still the same 15+ years later in The Search for Spock. That, Uhura's bluetooth earpiece, and the six transporter pads seem to be the only recognizable pieces of the original ship that survived the refit.

18. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

As far as production values are concerned, "Elaan of Troyius" and "Spectre of the Gun" (despite the latter's surrealistic style) are the only episodes that you could drop into the second season without it being noticeable. Maybe "The Paradise Syndrome" as well with all its outdoor photography. Of course, those were the first three episodes produced, so I'm sure more time and care was taken on them. From that point on, the production values, cinematography, lighting and film quality take a nosedive.

Storywise, about half the episodes would fit in well with the second season with a rewrite and/or dialogue polish. Dorothy Fontana's absence is definitely felt in the third season.

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I very much love the music for "Is There in Truth..."

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see this exact same question asked about TNG. I think the results would be... illuminating. ;)