Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why would you want all four series to have the same tone? Wouldn't that be redundant? If you've got four different shows, then they should be different. They should complement one another. If one goes unusually dark, there should be a lighter one to provide balance and relief.

I mean, it's not as if Daredevil is an out-and-out comedy character. In Waid's interpretation, he's a man who's been through several different hells and come out the other side, and has chosen to define himself by the latter rather than the former, to use optimism as a source of strength and a defense against despair. I have no problem seeing such a character sharing a universe with a different character whose life is in a darker place.

2. Christopher

Latest news:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51126

The Netflix miniseries will all be filmed in New York City. That's great news. NYC is so important to the Marvel universe, but it's been kind of underrepresented in the MCU so far except for portions of The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers. And these four characters are all based in NYC, so it'd be a shame if they faked the city with some other location.

I'd say this will make the Marvel Netflix shows the largest shared TV universe set and shot in NYC since the Law & Order franchise.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2, and the first act and final scene (not the stinger) of Captain America: The First Avenger.

4. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad to see filming begins this summer. This is getting closer to reality.

So, will they hire anyone we've heard of to play Daredevil?

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing it'll be a potpourri of casting for the leads and main support casts for these Netflix series.

Not too unlike the films. RDJ, Chris Evans, SLJ, Scar Jo, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman...yep heard of those people. Well known. Chris Hemsworth, Jaime Alexander, Tom Hiddleston, Sebastain Stan, Clark Gregg at the time were not known, known to a few and now are household name. Stan really will be after Winter Soldier opens.

I suspect the TV casting will be similar.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, only Iron Man 1 and 3 and the Thors have not featured NYC so far, and it's not as though the many non-Marvel Studios Marvel comics-based films have relocated characters out of the city. I too am glad they're not doubling New York production-wise, but I'd also like to see a miniseries set in a smaller city, like Boston or Detroit or San Francisco at some point.

7. Christopher

Sure, NYC has played a role in various movies, but the MCU has not yet followed the lead of the comics in creating the sense of a whole community of heroes that share NYC as a home base. Which is understandable, since many of the most NY-centric titles like Spider-Man, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four are with other studios, and so was Daredevil until recently, so Marvel's been left mainly with characters for whom NYC is not a key location. Tony is based in Malibu, at least in his solo movies. Thor is from Asgard. Banner travels all over. Cap is a Brooklyn kid and seemed to be living in NYC in The Avengers, but mostly in deleted scenes. And the SHIELD guys operate out of helicarriers and jets and bases in DC and various parts of the country. So while NYC is present in the MCU, it's not the hub of the superhero community the way it is in the comics. So it's great that we'll now be getting a quartet of interconnected series about street-level New York heroes. It's filling in something that's been missing up to now.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think it was clear it was going to be set in New York. I'm thrilled that it's actually going to be filmed there. I think that'll help add a bit of authenticity that'll make it more fun.

That being said, I still don't think Hells Kitchen should be filmed in Hells Kitchen ;)

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weren't a lot of the NYC scenes in Avengers actually filmed in Cleveland or somewhere like that?

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Christopher

^Or on a soundstage. The bulk of the Manhattan filming was establishing shots and background plates for creating a digital cityscape.

All the more reason to be glad that this fivesome of shows will be shot in the real NYC.

12. Alidar Jarok

What's interesting to me is the possibility of the Defenders being eight episodes instead of four. I was expecting a mini-series event, but eight episodes gives time for pacing and plot development (rather than just "show up and kick ass") which, to me, seems riskier.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its still weird to hear the Defenders name associated with these characters. Don't most shows set in New York film in other cities and just pretend its New York (probably because of money reasons)? It will be kind of interesting to see what comes of these internet shows. It would be cooler if at least Daredevil got another movie instead of wasting the character on Netflix, but if nothing else the shows might be so bad its good. Then again, based off of the "quality" of Marvel's current TV show, the netflix stuff will probably be equally as mediocre, or just outright bad. Maybe DC and Marvel people should share notes. DC can help Marvel with TV and animation, and Marvel can help DC with movies :lol:

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only way to film a movie in New York at cost is to get Woody Allen to direct.

He knows people.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I am going to have to make an after to see if I can spot any filming locations. Can't wait!

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually quite a bit of stuff films in New York. Wolf of Wall Street, Winter's Tale, Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Following, Orange is the New Black, Gossip Girl, Noah, Non-Stop, White Collar, Suits, The Blacklist, Girls, all of the Law & Orders (except LA & UK) are just a few of the entries come up on Internet Movie Database. It has over 29,000 entries for things filmed in NYC. I think it's probably one of the most popular US filming locations outside of California.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  17. Alidar Jarok

Orange is the New Black isn't primarily filmed in New York. It's clearly filmed in a set that's the prison.

I'm primarily interested in TV shows filmed in New York, which Law and Order was famous for doing. That list is longer than I thought it would be. I think the complaint is with CSI: NY and I'm sure a few others that are set in NY, but not filmed there.

18. Christopher

Person of Interest and Elementary are also filmed in New York City, and take very good advantage of the setting, like most actually-in-NYC shows. (White Collar makes something of a habit of writing its storylines around major NYC landmarks, especially in season finales.) The recent procedural Unforgettable was noteworthy for being set and filmed in Queens rather than the usual Manhattan.

I think that CSI:NY does a mix of filming in NYC and filming elsewhere, or maybe it started out there and then moved. Fringe's first season was filmed in NYC, but then it moved to Vancouver (at which point Nina Sharp's office as Massive Dynamic changed from an office with a huge window overlooking the real Manhattan skyline to one with a narrow window strip with a skyline backdrop behind it).

The main "fake New York" show I currently watch is Castle, whose LA-based production has never had a convincing New York flavor (except in the pilot, which I believe was shot in NYC). Alphas, which I think was shot in Toronto, did a somewhat better job of doubling New York.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was filmed in New York, Rochester New York. It was not filmed in New York City, downtown Rochester was used for NYC and they CGIed in the taller buildings.

20. Alidar Jarok

I think CSI does pickup or establishing shots in NYC but keep the actors in LA.