The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been more of a psychological journey, as we see Bruce learn what it takes to become a hero and accepting that role, and obviously the end will be him accepting that role.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhm, err, didn't he already do that in Batman Begins? And again in TDK?

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The whole trilogy has been about Bruce's journey to becoming Batman. Each film is a step towards Bruce fully becoming and accepting being Batman. Nolan has pretty much said this himself in prior interviews.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

From the guy who does the Marvel/DC videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THMHnWOcc6I

LMAO

Love it.

As far as plots and such...

I think Bruce will be broken physically. Perhaps not broken spine, but something significant. Why?

Gordon's dialogue for one -- saying how Batman was "just gone" as if he disappeared, and that "the batman must come back" as if he's been out of action for a while and left Gotham.

Then we see someone doing push-ups. It looks like Bruce. Like Bruce sporting some facial hair. Batman would not grow a goatee unless he wasn't being Batman anymore.

5. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^Well, Nolan could certainly have Batman badly injured and then jump ahead a year or five to a Gotham that's had to do without the Batman for all that time...

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And that's fine. I'm not saying the story can't have an ending. But as far as epic conclusions go, there's a huge difference between "Harry finally battles Voldemort!" and "Bruce Wayne finally accepts his role as Batman!" :p

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

David Brent IS Batman!!!!!!!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I want to see Batman with a handlebar mustache.

9. Captaindemotion

^ Cricket-Batman

10. JarodRussell

If someone destroyed Wayne Enterprises, Batman would be forced to retreat.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a third option -- Bruce achieves what he set out to do as the Batman and he retires. I'm expecting Nolan to bring the story of his version of Batman to a definitive close. I don't see him leaving his Batman open-ended.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see that too, if they decide not to leave it open ended. Even if Nolan wants to do a real ending, I kinda wonder if Warner would let him.

13. JarodRussell

What does Bruce want? He can maybe manage to get all of the big gangster bosses in prison (he almost did that in TDK, and it probably worked because he managed to keep Harvey Dent's public image intact). But would he then be perfectly fine with things and "retire"?

14. Captaindemotion

^ That sounds a little too pat to me, a little like the resolution Bruce found at the end of Forever. Can't see Nolan doing it.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've already been told what Bruce wants...to no longer have to be Batman. This is what I mean about him being in his formative years. He's still naive and not experienced enough to think that he can "give up" being Batman. He's yet to realize that he'll never be able to do that, or have any sense of real peace. Bruce was taught a very serious lesson in "The Dark Knight" by the Joker...mainly there are consequences to his your actions.

I believe that "The Dark Knight Rises" will absolutely force Bruce to accept being Batman...or he'll be broken. Rachel Dawes was very much his anchor. He was deluded into thinking because of what they talked about at the end of "Batman Begins" that he would be able stop being Batman. The loss of Rachel and the clinging to that delusion...well that's going to be something interesting to see carry onto the next movie.

16. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have always thought that this ends with a death that will bring about the end of the crime wave in Gotham. However, how that happens, I don't know. I just thought that his physical presence would be at an end, but he would know that Batman had made a difference. Heading towards the light sky and seeing the bat symbol doesn't do anything to dispel this notion within me.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What if the movie ends with a fade to black then pull back and open up(with a tag that says "sometime in the future") on a teen kid talking to an older gentleman while watching a computer screen of the exploits we just saw. The older gent says, "And that Terry, is what being Batman is about...you up to it?". ;)

18. Captaindemotion

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with almost everything there, except what I highlighted. By this I mean that my inclination is to think that, for the Dark Knight to rise, the Dark Knight must exist at his fullest, which to me would require Bruce to find fulfillment in being the Dark Knight. To me, the Dark Knight will not have risen unless Bruce embraces being Batman completely. Ergo, he must be at peace being Batman. This is what I'm looking for.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's pretty much been my interpretation as well.
    As for the ending, I could almost see it ending with him encountering Jason Todd for the first time, and deciding to train him. Basically he fully accepts his role as Batman, and decides to pass on what he has learned throughout the trilogy to someone else. And if they are going to incorporate any Robin into the series, I think Jason Todd's story would fit in the best.