5x08 The Hungry Earth (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 22, 2010.

?

Your thoughts about the episode?

1. Fantastic!

16.5%
  2. Good

53.8%
  3. Average

22.0%
  4. Meh

6.6%
  5. Hopefully it gets swallowed by a very hungry earth.

1.1%
  1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it.

I felt I could have easily been watching a Patrick Troughton episode, the whole thing felt pleasingly old school.

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Very enjoyable indeed.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, it would be kind of annoying if she's right...would the Moff go there?

Still it would explain the Daleks at least :klingon:

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I really can't see it - partly because it robs the appearance of River Song of meaning and partly because it's simply lame to have a series conclusion that is "and it was all a dream".

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Thanks! Much appreciated.

I would have enjoyed having that scene in the actual episode, but it didn't strike me as being that critical. We're seeing through the episodes so far that the Doctor is growing fond of Rory. And when you only have about 45 minutes for an episode.... well, they usually can't keep everything.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Aside from there being no way Moff would pull an "it was all a dream" she should have watched Confidential, where they pointed out the amount of cuts that had to be made to episode to fit the timeslot....

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I wonder how much it would add to the overall experience for American viewers, if we could regularly watch the Confidential specials. Not that they are critical to the DW experience, but I've often found myself envious of those across the pond who can pull information from a particular Confidential.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Cuts to the episode have no bearing on them only taking nine minutes to build a village wide surveillance system and have the kid draw such an accurate (and neat) picture. It would have been simplicity itself to merely change the dialogue to "We only have thirty minutes" rather than nine. The montage could have stayed exactly the same, the episode wouldn't have needed to be any longer but would have made a bit more sense.

Episode length seems to be a real issue this series. Does anyone know if the producers had issues with length in the RTD era? I'd heard maybe in series 1 but that they'd got better at it. I appreciate this is a new production team but many of those involved were involved before, so you'd think they'd have a good handle on what they were doing, timings wise.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If nothing else, I think we're setting up for another "Timelord Victorious" moment towards then end, where the doctor goes back and changes history to get the outcome he wants.

10. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

They're available if you know where to look. ;)

11. The Sonic Mole

The Sonic Mole Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very enjoyable. I loved the horror elements; Amy and the Welsh fella being pulled down by an unknown terror, the boy being menaced at the church door, the dissections whilst conscious, etc. I also agree with Pindar re it feeling somewhat old-skool. The setting obviously being reminiscent of The Green Death for a start.

At first I was a little disappointed with the Silurians as they were too anthropomorphic for my liking. However, after listening to the producers' comments re this - and also the comments of those on Twitter, I can see why they've opted for making them the way they have.

All in a all another strong episode in what has been a very strong season so far.

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I agree, they had to cut 16 minutes from the episode but for some unknown reason, choose to keep future Rory and Amy.

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really hoping they'll do an 'extended edition' when the dvd's come out.

14. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

That is always a great way to boost DVD sales.

15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Above average. Enjoyable set up. I'm not exactly sure where it's heading, but they've got me curious. I really enjoyed the Pertwee era feel to it at the beginning!

I'm not sure if there is a point to future Amy and Rory waving to them? I'd imagine there is beyond just nostalgia. And, it could play into this episode or perhaps the crack and the finale.

Mr Awe

16. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

By putting in a scene of Smudger and Amy walking down a road in a Welsh village? That said, it could still be among the most exciting scenes in the episode.

17. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assume you're referring to bbcamerica, which posts all of the confidentials for US viewers to enjoy on their website. ;)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor-who/video/doctor-who-confidential.jsp

Sure beats the days when SciFi/Syfy controlled the US DW airing rights!

18. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assume you're referring to bbcamerica, which posts all of the (edited) confidentials for US viewers to enjoy on their website.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor-who/video/doctor-who-confidential.jsp

Sure beats the days when SciFi/Syfy controlled the US DW airing rights!

19. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of the humor seemed a bit off in this one but it had its moments. I liked the Doctor's quiet talk with the prisoner, something sometimes missing with all the running about, the slower pace made it a bit different. Then again, maybe it wasn't just lack of sleep that made me doze off on first late viewing.

I wonder what lies ahead for Rory because I'm so used to shows that drag out the romantic tension that it's suspicious to establish so early that he and Amy seem to stay together (not just this episode but the previous). I suppose we'll see as the crack thing comes into play.