Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dulak, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should show a double-header of "Spock's Brain" and "The Way to Eden". That would be a great laugh-fest!

I stated this earlier but our theater did have a sort of double image on the outlines of people. It seemed to go away when they moved.

2. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

Went to the 10:30 sho in Waterbury, Connecticut last night. Too dark, non-surround. Great to see the Enterprise on screen though.

Three of us walked into the theater at 10:15. Guess how many other people were in the theater?

ONE. A teenaged girl waiting for her boyfriend (who she spent the majority of the movie lip locked with).

Literally, FIVE people ended up in that theater. It was funny.

One observation. In Spock's Brain Scotty was very impressed with the Ion engines used by the alien ship. he even stated, "Ion propulsion at that, aye, they could teach us a thing or two!" But in the Menagerie, they referenced the shuttlecraft as using ion propulsion. Just picked up on that.

3. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I, too, saw it last night at a Regal theater in Little Rock. It looked FANTASTIC! If that wasn't the DLP projector they use for feature films, you couldn't tell the difference. Very bright and crisp. And the 5.1 sound was great. They had the Low Frequency Effects channel cranked and every time there was a loud effect or music with a lot of bass, my chair shook.

Nice crowd of around 75 people. A couple with Star Trek stuff on. One in full uniform (a woman in a red TOS mini and black boots).

It was a little pricey for my family, but we had a great time.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wait a sec...calling someone by their gender to coollectively classify them is subserviant? That is a load of crap!

RAMA

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I would ONLY agree, if they had a launch a rescue the two helpless women and stated that as such or Pike felt he had to get the women back to the ship because they are weak...however, when the two women land, they are very efficient and in control, and hardly helpless. Number One eventually is the one who forces the Talosians hand, not Pike. So any kind of knee jerk reaction to Spock's surprise is really silly.

RAMA

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is really incorrect, since calling a group of women "women" is not deragatory....nor is calling "Mexicans": "Mexicans". This would seem logical. Now until people from Mexico call themselves Aztecians, this would remain the case. Some of the other words have fallen out of favor, and I doubt anyone here would classify them as that, but the alternative words might still apply. There are many times when TOS was sexist, this just isn't one of them.

If there were 6 members of a landing crew, and two of them were Mexcicans and they were they only ones taken, would you possibly yell that in surprise? And the FACT they took Mexicans might mean something (as the case with the TAS episode: "How Sharper than a Serpents Tooth") in the context of kidnapping. In the Cage, it was for breeding stock, so it is useful to the audience..

RAMA

7. Electric Coleslaw

I think having all that done would be silly. People find it funny because they have used their imagination and implied all of that without it needing to be actually shown on screen.

Some found it funny. You obviously don't. It's no big deal. Sometimes explaining why you found something funny is quite impossible. There are times when something is funny just because it is.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But you are not a woman, and neither am I. We cannot presume what they do or may find derogatory.

But to some women, who may have a view that the females of the world in the 60s constantly fought against ingrained societal oppression by men, may find the line very insulting, or at least anachronistic, today. Some may have realized it had potential to be insulting in the early 70s. Ask someone like Germaine Greer.

Writers are generally more sensitive about such things these days, probably knowing that what they write might be dissected by future scholars. But writing will always carry a style that makes it genuine to its times. Somebody writing "The women!" in a TV script today is making a more conscious choice to go against contemporary sensitivities.

And thus, in 2007, the line gets a guffaw. Especially in a show that is supposedly projecting forward to the 23rd century.

9. Electric Coleslaw

^But you know, for me the appeal of TOS was that humanity was not perfect. Vulcans had emotions, they merely suppressed them. Humanity still had the old tendencies of bigotry and oppression, they were merely suppressed. Some were more successful than others at doing so.

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was the men that got beamed down and if Number one had shouted "The Men!", I doubt if anyone would look at it as some kind of slight toward the male gender (though it would still be a little funny). I like the explanation that Spock, being very logical, quickly figured out that the aliens had specifically targeted the female crew members.

11. rgb1701

rgb1701 Captain Captain

12. Electric Coleslaw

Yeah, you have to kinda ignore that in 300 years they can't do better than a blinking light. Even a computer voice saying "Yes" or "No" would have been a step up.

13. sturmde

sturmde Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've assumed for 40 years that Pike also had rather severe brain damage from the delta rays (cold electrons will do that to you... too many free radicals.)

Perhaps the blinking light was all that they'd been able to achieve so far. If you'd only come back next week, they'd have been installing the voice synthesizer unit, but no, Spock had to kidnap him....

14. Electric Coleslaw

The blinking light is more dramatic though.

Kirk: He keeps blinking 'no'.

15. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night in a theater with about 20 people. I really enjoyed it. It was really nice to see the original series on the big screen. It was a really fun experience.

16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

RAMA, you've been around long enough to know not to triple post.

Use the quote function next time, please.

17. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

^TBonz, he also 'quoted' me but put someone else's post under my name... not cool. The line gets a laugh, it's up to him to figure out why.

Why does a rainbow get an 'oohh ahhh'...after all, it's not trying to impress. It's not logical, but it is often true. Just like Spock yelling 'THE WOMEN' gets a laugh.

18. TY1975

TY1975 Cadet Newbie

I just wanted to point out that, for me, the funniest thing about "The women!" has nothing to do with sexism or even Spock's usually stoic demeanor.

The funniest thing about the line is the seemingly long delay between the women's transport and Spock (and the others) noticing that they are gone.

This is mostly due to how it was filmed, with the transporter effects added in later of course. After all, no one had ever filmed Star Trek transporter scenes before "The Cage," so the timing is a bit off and makes the line seem like a funny statement of the obvious.

19. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Welcome to the board TY1975. It's good to have you here. :)

20. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

And TY makes a valid point. Timing is ... ... ... ... ...

everything. ;)