New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a lot of knowledge both Trek and general around here, where just a few readers could really improve the guy's volume II. People here have astutely addressed both minutiae and more substantive things (e.g., fannish exaggeration).

2. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I'm told a digital version will be out in a few weeks, with corrections. Possibly more content, too!

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

He'd have to promise not to swipe any more photos before some of us would proof it.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see if the digital version amends any of the photo credits and/or drops any of the photos. (Which still, of course, wouldn't change the fact that Cushman/Jacobs Brown Press never asked permission to use the images, even after the fact.)

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, very much so. You'll find no shared monsters or aliens from Voyage on Star Trek. God knows where you even heard this. The only stuff from the Irwin shows you'd find are in Trek's third season when apparently Fox was selling off some props and they wound up in The Empath.

6. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is a hornless Mugato from VOYAGE pictured on this thread:http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205921&page=19 (scroll down)

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

8. plynch

I had forgotten that whole part of this story by now. Yup. Well, if the e-version is coming out with corrections, maybe he's found people to do it for him.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The Mugato was one of Janos Prohaska's custom built characters. He was a specialty actor/stuntman who designed and built his own monsters. He'd hire himself out to productions wearing one of his costumes. The Horta came about because Prohaska had reworked an old costume he'd done for The Outer Limits, demonstrated it, and Gene Coon or somebody got inspired enough to write a script around it.

Prohaska, his son, and 34 others were killed in a chartered plane crash while working on a film in 1974. It was sad news indeed.

10. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, I am aware about Prohaska. He provided costumes/played creatures in "The Cage", "Devil in the Dark", "A Private Little War" and "The Savage Curtain".
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Janos_Prohaska

11. Ssosmcin

Holy freaking crap, I totally forgot about the Fatal Cargo ape! My bad, and pretty shameful since I love Voyage almost as much as Trek.

Mea Cupla on this one. Oy! Prohaska probably brought it by himself to get the extra gig, so I wouldn't consider it "taking from Voyage" though.

12. plynch

The one episode of that show I've ever seen (MeTV)!

13. Ssosmcin

Not the best episode to start with.....

14. plynch

Ok, it seemed lame, even for '60s TV.

15. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is one of those rare shows I can enjoy no matter how goofy it gets, for some reason! :lol:

Oh, and since he came up in the conversation, here's the shot I didn't post: his horn-less head is more visible here!
    [​IMG]

16. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I prefer the horny version myself.

:drool:

17. Ssosmcin

:bolian:

Friend!

18. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:techman: Back at'cha!

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now to have a submerged enterprise face off with the seaview.

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Only if you do it with scale models. Have you seen the youtube video of somebody with a refit model outfit with R/C cruising around in a swimming pool underwater? It has the ship doing the bank maneuver from TWOK and some other snazzy looking stuff. Drop a SEAVIEW in that pool that's four to six feet and you could really go to town on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.