''The Holiest Thing'' (Star Trek Phase 2)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

That was pretty cool, nice little teaser. Like the look of the Phase II E, Tobias & Co. are doing outstanding work. Brian is doing a good job with Kirk, he has the right look and expressions, but I wish his voice was just a little deeper.

Q2

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Nicely acted! And agreed about the helium voiced Kirk. But still, excellent work!

4. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I think HeliumKirk is the thing for the 21st Century, all the best fan productions use one.

I'm just surprised we're getting a Holiest Thing trailer before Bread and Savagery... would have thought it was further along.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Visually impressive but the audio quality kills it.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting teaser. I would prefer to see entire episodes be made available.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought it was Chekov doing the Captain's Log at the beginning. :lol:

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Re: ''The Holiest Thing'' (Star Trek Phase II): An Update

Mr. James Cawley posted an update on the status of "The Holiest" earlier today on the Star Trek Phase II Facebook page. Here's an update for folks who aren't Facebook users.

Here’s a bit of an update on our episode “The Holiest Thing” (as of April 4, 2014).

“The Holiest Thing” was shot back in June of 2013. Mr. Daren Dochterman took the Director’s seat and Mr. Alex Ibrahim was our Director of Photography for our original script written by Mr. Rick Chambers.

Our intent was to significantly improve upon our usual turnaround time in getting this episode out the door, and we were shooting for a Saint Valentine’s Day release on February 14, 2014. We were rushing on getting the episode all together in time, and we actually screened it for an audience at the Alamo Draft House in Kalamazoo, Michigan, on the evening of February 13th. As we made arrangements to push the episode out to the Internet on the morning of the 14th, and as we took a good look at the more technical aspects of the episode, we became increasingly dissatisfied with the coloring of the edit. The coloring seemed rather uneven throughout the final cut. Some scenes were dark, some had the color blown out, and some were washed out. It actually wasn’t too glaring; in fact, we were uncertain whether to just release it as is, or miss our self-imposed deadline and improve the color correction. The unevenness just wasn’t that bad, so it was a difficult decision. Ultimately, even though we screened the episode in Kalamazoo, uneven color and all, we decided to go back and even it all out.

Our hopes at the time were that our colorist would be able to perform some fairly simple “evening out” process on the episode to make things more consistent—not quite as simple as the push of a button, but we hoped that it would be fairly simple to make the whole episode more consistent en masse. But not only was our colorist without power and unable to do any work on the project, as it turned out, we actually need to go into every shot in the episode individually and correct them one at a time—which is, well, more of a time-consuming headache. It turns out to not have been a simple action to be quickly handled once our colorist got his power restored.

The uneven color seems to stem from our conversion process in converting the episode footage from its original 4K definition into something more usable for editing. So it might actually make more sense, rather than to tweak each shot in the episode as necessary, it might be better to go into the original 4K footage of each take, and “simply” re-covert it (“transcode”) to our usable format--fixing the color during this re-transcoding process. We would then, basically, reassemble the episode from scratch using properly-colored footage.

Either way, whether we try to go into each shot in the episode individually, or we, instead, decide to go back to the original 4K footage and re-transcode it and reassemble the episode from scratch, either way, it’s going to be a lengthier (and likely more expensive) project than we had initially anticipated. So, while we lost no footage, and we have multiple copies of all our footage, it seems to have changed from, in effect, a color-correcting project to a whole re-editing project.

There were other contributing factors: the harsh winter weather took an untimely toll on many other key post-production volunteers, too; our production company is also in the throes of relocating to a new studio facility; and we are all busy ramping up to our next shoot in two months from now. So it turns out to be a busy time for us to also work on "The Holiest Thing." (I'm reminded of Erich Brenn, spinning plates to the "Sabre Dance" on The Ed Sullivan Show.)

So, we have no new expected due date for the safe delivery of our newest baby. Please, don’t pay a daily visit to our website, looking for the episode. It is likely still months away. The good news is that our fans will be the beneficiaries of a better product.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Thank you both for the update. A couple of random thoughts come to mind: there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" choice in this situation. Either way will generate praise and/or criticism. The other thought is that I hope anyone who's dreaming of making a fan film should take this situation as a hard lesson in just how difficult it is get a film completed. I'm glad people are willing to do it, because fan film give me plenty of entertainment and something to write about. :) I also recall something a writer said: poems are never really completed. They are just abandoned. I think there's a certain amount of that that applies to fan films as well.

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thanks for the update.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    You sure it's not a temporal mechanics issue? ;)

12. GSchnitzer

Time wil tell.

13. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

MUST be temporal mechanics, because the post is gone from FB....

14. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's mentioned in the Trek Trax festival thread that Holiest Thing will be the concluding film played there...Does this mean Phase 2 is just about ready to release it?

15. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I can't answer that, Bixby. I would doubt it's the final version, perhaps the preview version they showed earlier?

16. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Bixby, it was the version shown in Michigan, and it was shown Saturday night at 5:30pm. It was also on the schedule for today, but we left before that showing.

17. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I missed the TrekTrax showing, sadly. But a gentleman who I'm told appears in the episode was there in full costume and make-up... and he looked AMAZING! (No spoilers- but I'm looking forward to seeing him onscreen!)

18. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I just saw on Facebook that the release has been delayed due to the move and the June shoot for Mindsifter. No news on when they will be finishing Holiest Thing.

19. GSchnitzer

Yes, no real changes since I posted early last month: "The Holiest Thing" bumped back while we finish moving into our new studio facility and then shoot "Mind-Sifter" in mid-June.

More info here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=9440047&postcount=8

20. Froissart

Froissart Ensign Red Shirt

Im a little upset with Phase 2 atm,i love their shows and i think they do a great job but with the delay of the new episode and the lack of info they put out was a little much,for me its been hitting their site everyday trying to get more info and i bet others have been doing the same,i do realize that the more hits they get on their site the more money they make.(and they know this aswell)It would have been nice if they gave us all the info upfront and then ask for us to hit their site to help them make money for the show i would hit it 50 times a day for them...just be honest about it.There is no reason why the update that was just released a few days ago coundnt be released months ago,instead we got next to nothing....but if they said here is whats wrong,this is how long its going to take oh and ya we are in the middle of a move so it going to be awhile for a new update, thne we would know whats going on and not have to keep checking their site every day for an update...yup sry folks just my rant of the day..:cool: