Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Loken, Nov 19, 2013.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba

So? In my opinion that's precisely what you do. You brag. The point, which you missed (in favor of playing the victim, again) was that I was telling Patty to lay off and that you had been pretty upfront about what you'd been doing with Kitumba for a while now.

Sigh. I've been off the board for awhile, largely becaues of unreasonable people like you. Fine. It wasn't in this thread specifically. But there are other threads where you have blathered on and on about what you're doing with Kitumba, most notably the thread where we last argued about whether or not Vic Mignogna would be credited for his work on the episode.

So, one fact of mine, not wrong. I wonder if maybe there are more?

1) This is the second time you have accused me of being a troll, an action which is in clear violation of the rules of this board. If we're including oblique potshots, it's the third time. You've been here long enough to know that you're not supposed to do this.

2) You could have easily made your point to Patty without airing Phase II's dirty laundry about her being released in such a low-class way. Professional production indeed!

3) I won't deny that sometimes I might be guilty of instigating trouble. But I have capacity to acknowledge it when I'm wrong. What you conflate into these paranoid delusions of grand attacks against you usually stem from simple questions posed to you that you for some reason are unable to ever answer. (your overreaction in the Fan Filmmaker Association thread, the bungling of whether Vic's being credited, etc.) In each case you swoop in looking for praise and when you don't get it, the only response anyone can get out of you generally devolves into some paranoid delusion about how everyone's out to get you, complete with over-exaggerated missives ("...your facts are, as always, wrong.") or petty high school bullying and immature tactics . Never in my life have I seen someone so utterly incapable of answering a simple question.

So, stop. Just stop. The pattern is tiresome. The arguments are tiresome. You are not above criticism. More importantly, just because someone offers a comment, critique or complaint about you it does not always mean they are attacking you maliciously.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Maybe you just stop attacking me every time I post. How about that?

We are all tired of your antics. You got posts deleted and you were almost banned on another forum for the same exact behavior. Maybe learn a lesson and back off.

3. doubleohfive

1) What attacks?

2) We BOTH had posts deleted. This selective re-writing of history that you do is becoming quite tiresome also, never mind intellectually dishonest.

3) I was almost banned from another forum? This is news to me. CaptainAtkin (the admin of that forum) assured me he doesn't "pick sides" so I can only assume you are once again reverting to your pathetic bullying and scare tactics. Funny how, once again all these friends of yours who you claim to whisper with about how awful I am never seem to show up to back up any of these outrageous claims you make.

4) So long as I abide by the rules of this message board, I will share my opinions as I see fit.

5) Once again, you disregard anything else I've said, in favor of simply crying foul and playing the victim. Zero accountability for anything but praise. Wash, rinse, repeat.

4. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

anyway i really cannot wait to see this, going to be a great episode and everything else that comes from phase II in the future

5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Very much looking forward to Kitumba. As to the rest, probably best to let it go guys. :)

6. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Well, since my name was dragged into this...

No one was banned from the new Starship Exeter Facebook group. I deleted a few negative posts, and contacted the people who posted them to explain why. That Facebook page was set up to honour the work of the Staship Exeter team, and not to give people a soapbox to argue about things that had no bearing or relevance to the Exeter films. The rule of thumb at that Starship Exeter page is a simple one: play nice, or go home.

doubleohfive: I don't appreciate my private Facebook messages to you being posted like that on the Trek BBS. Those were sent to you as a courtesy and should be respected as such.

In regards to Kitumba, I don't see any reason for anyone to post negative posts here either. People should be rejoicing about this film being finished the way that the Producer wants it to be done. The majority of people don't want to read posts from people bickering back and forth with each other.

7. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I, for one, didn't make it personal. I posted legitimate concerns about Alec's editing choices - which is pretty much my right, since he is editing my story. Finding out here that he chose even 5% of Vic's editing choices alarmed me. I said nothing about him, just his actions as he posted them. I did later call his actions "ballsy" but that can be construed as either a compliment or a negative thing, depending on your point of view.

Clearly, I never indicated in any way that I had any inside knowledge of what was going on...in fact, I stated I could make this opinion about Alec's edit because I was not part of the producer's group at Phase II.

I appreciate Alec saying this is one of the best episodes. I put a lot of heart into writing it. JML had two rough drafts in script form - where he told the story of Kirk being sent in to try to educate the naive child emperor and stop a potential war. The Klingon culture was based on fuedal Japan and didn't jell with what we learned later. (this was supposed to be the "first glimpse" into the Klingon culture)

I changed it to a completely different story. And, clearly, I had to change the Klingon culture and history to jell with the feature films and TNG etc. In fact, this episode now explains what happened to the TOS Klingons to turn them into the feature film Klingons we now see.

Yes, Kirk still goes on that mission but - well, no spoilers. Things are not as they appear.

And I think that this episode has some of the best acting I've ever seen from James and Doc John. Maybe others, but those two blew me away.

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

What will be the video resolution when the episode is released?

9. doubleohfive

Thank you for clarifying what actually took place rather than letting Alec's propaganda continue to fester. Gratitude.

Noted. You are of course, quite right and I do apologize. However at the time Alec's assertions were being broadcast for one and all to see, I felt it was my only recourse to prove my point. As the original posts in question had been deleted, there was no way to reference them, either. To my knowledge messages on Facebook don't fall under any privacy rules here on this BBS, however I will promise not to share any future communications with you this way again.

For accuracy's sake, you deleted the comments and only responded after I messaged you to inquire why this had been done. This "I deleted comments and then messaged privately to explain why" is misleading on your part as that is not what actually transpired.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And this, friends, is why the Polaris and Exeter people don't post much. Sausage making is an ugly process after all, and everyone's hands look dirty.

11. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

And Doubleoh is now the reason why Phase II will no longer be posting here. His constant attacks and need to hijack every single thread for his own lengthy and boring attacks and explanations make this forum not worth the effort for those of us who actually DO something in this hobby. James Cawley has said no more posting here because of the nonsense and he is the boss.

So congrats Doubleoh, you have screwed everyone here by chasing off the people who readers actually want to hear from. Not you and your attacks and constant need to prove how smart you think you are, but people with real information who actually make fan films.

So folks, if you want to find out about what is happening in Phase II you will need to go to the forums there. Here is our website. We have a new website coming in the next few months as well, or follow us on Facebook.

Phase II is done with these forums.

12. doubleohfive

Phase II is of course free to do as it wishes. You'll forgive me if I don't believe a word of it though. I have no doubt whatsoever that the minute Phase II or Axanar have a production ready to release, they will be right back here to promote them.

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

To everyone accusing each other of taking the low road, may I respectfully suggest you try taking the high road and set an example. If people are being rude and unfair they look even more so when you don't join them rasslin' in the mud.

14. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope they reconsider and take the high road - just because of some people who can´t be polite or responsible a lot of us normal fans have to suffer. The internet can be a cruel place, you have to grow a thick skin. Just ignore the haters and mudslingers.

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Bixby (et al):

To offer a bit more perspective….

Half of “Mind-Sifter” takes place in “regular” TOS Trek-time on the Enterprise, while the other half of the episode takes place in the 1950s—largely in a mental hospital. The Enterprise scenes were “easy” to get; the 1950s scenes are more challenging and still need to be secured.

Although James had a busy schedule, we did manage to grab a quick “Kirk is tortured with the Klingon mind-sifter” scene that helps get our story rolling, as well as a “nice to have you home” scene with the (quickly becoming ubiquitous) “Admiral Withrow” at the close of the story.

The plan is to re-do those scenes with our new Captain Kirk, Mr. Brian Gross. He, of course, also would still need to do all the Kirk scenes in the 1950s that we have yet to shoot.

Lastly, another challenge we might need to face is possibly having to re-do many of the already-done Enterprise scenes involving Dr. McCoy. When John Kelley became unavailable for the episode shortly before the shoot, the role was filled on short notice by Mr. David Sherin. Many of the scenes on the Enterprise involve the dynamics between Mister Spock and Dr. McCoy. If there is hope to include John Kelley back into the episode now that he has become available, the amount of David Sherin footage that would need to be redone is not insignificant. David did a commendable job in the role under difficult circumstances—not only difficult as a production shoot, but difficult for Dr. McCoy as a character in light of what’s happening onboard the ship. After David’s hard work, it would be a shame to lose his performance. (Personally, I think our fans would just roll with the punches—like they have with a Lieutenant Saavik played by two different actresses--or our own series of three Mister Spocks. I don’t really think it’s a bug; it’s a feature.)

“Mind-Sifter” seems to have achieved some level of popularity with fans familiar with Shirley Maiewski’s short story from when it appeared in the old Star Trek: The New Voyages anthology book by Bantam Books. But I think seeing the story play out more closely to what the author intended, rather than how the story ended up after being revised by the book’s editors, will also be a treat. Teleplay writer Patty Wright also injected some (necessary) scenes on her own that make the story even more interesting and compelling. (Candidly, further subtle script tweaking might be necessary if roles are now to be assumed by different actors.) But I think just about everyone at Phase II is proud (and eager!) to get the episode finished and out the door for people to enjoy. We just have lots of competing organizational priorities, and we can’t do everything all at once—which is actually not all the horrible a position to be in.

16. GSchnitzer

doubleohfive:

This is a reminder (admonishment?) that the TrekBBS board has the following rule (available in our FAQ file):

“Privacy Issue - Private Messages, Chat Logs, Names, etc.

“On the internet, a person's privacy is very valuable. Unless a poster has made it clear they don't mind, you can't post any details of their real-life identity on the board. You also cannot post material such as chat logs, emails, private messages or messages from other message boards - without the consent of all involved parties.”

(I think this rule was written before the advent of Facebook and Twitter, but I think few would argue that the Rule should be construed as not applying to Facebook posts and Twitter tweets.)

For what it's worth, in the "unless a poster has made it clear they don't mind" category, folks have standing permission to repost any comments I make in any forums or message boards (and, yes, to include Facebook and Twitter) without first securing further permission from me. (I always write for the record unless I (rarely) explicitly include some kind of "not to be quoted" disclaimer.

17. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

just out of curiosity, are there no moderators on this forum anymore? i feel a lot of "drama / off topic" posts that have been happening would be solved by this, and not chase fan films away...

on topic. I am so excited to see Kitumbra, i saw the two parts that were posted a few months back and drooling:drool: to see the rest. it'll be worth the wait, even more so in 2k HD!

18. doubleohfive

Noted. My logic on the matter is as stated above, up to and including the fact that Captain Atkin is a public figure in the fan film community. As stated previously, Alec was leveling false information here that impugned my character and as the posts proving it had been deleted by Captain Atkin himself, my only proof lay in those messages. I understand that the "no private messages" rule now applies not just to TrekBBS but to all websites and I have promised not to do this again.

You can expect a PM from me about other matters pertaining to this thread.

19. GSchnitzer

Just to clarify a point....

I think James Cawley admonished us Phase II team mates from any more public rants and contributing to any flame wars. I don't think it was some kind of general prohibition on people from Phase II ever posting on the TrekBBS board--well, unless of course, the postings are always public rants and or flame wars, in which case, I guess the member is indirectly being instructed to never post here. (If there actually was some kind of "no more posting of any kind on TrekBBS" memo that went out to the Phase II team members, James Cawley elected not to include me in the distribution list.

I think sometimes members' gruffness is perceived as an attack when it's actually simply a "not-incredibly-flawless-and-absolutely-perfectly-respectful and polite" disagreement.

"The sky is medium blue."
    "Well, I think the sky is actually light blue."
    "How dare you attack me and my position like that!"

No doubt actual comments on this board are less "cut and dried" than the above example. But not only are members always encouraged to "don't poke the bear" with their comments, members are also encouraged to, well, be people, instead of bears. No trolls or bears allowed, please!

20. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

for some reason the bears comment reminded me of this snl skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdhSoPR0X0

maybe we should all let this bad blood go? and again I ask are there no longer mods on this forum?