Daedelus, ala April

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, Mar 27, 2008.

1. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

I have to say, I like the added lines coming out of the saucer and joining the nacelle struts...gives some added mass and support to them, and perhaps some more room for deck layout/details. Hell you could conjecture this into earlier Miranda type ships (leaving off the secondary hull..)
    Cool.

2. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

...which i actually find not that surprising, i always thought Akira to be an evolution of the Miranda design.

3. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting, since this is supposed to be an evolutionary ancestor to the Constitution class.

I suppose there could be two branches of that line...

4. Captain Robert April

Just picked up a pad of tracing paper, so I should have some nicer pics up soon.

5. Captain Robert April

Well, I got a prelim sketch of the aft view scanned in, but for some unknown reason, I can't get it uploaded to photobucket.com.

Maybe later....

6. Captain Robert April

In other news, I finally located MS Paint on this thing, and am in the process of cleaning up some NX-01 schematics, so as to cook up some cleaner looking renderings.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled tedium.

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I think Aethernaut's take on the Daedalus is pretty good...it can be found at Sci-Fi Meshes. (I'd post a pic, but I'm not sure what the policy is on posting other artist's pics, even with credits attatched.)

8. Captain Robert April

So long as it's properly credited, there's no issue.

9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

OK, here's Aethernaut's take:

[​IMG]

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

^^That's pretty cool. There are things I dislike, details, but it's definitely a more plausible contemporary of Enterprise.

CRA, I like the idea of a ship such as what you've proposed but I don't think it should necessarily be Daedalus. In my own personal attempts at fitting all this continuity mess together, I had such a ship called 'Icarus' that was a failed cousin of the Daedalus, a technological white elephant of sorts.

That said, I look forward to seeing your Paint drawings of your concept. :techman:

:rommie:

11. tyr_13

tyr_13 Ensign Red Shirt

That is pretty sweet right there.

I agree with Praetor. Your concept is good, but I'm not sure that Daedalus would be the right ship, but a related one. Can't wait to see your take.

12. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather like the semi-canon Daedalus.

However, since it was only seen as a small model in the background I think a little constructive tweaking of the design is needed. After all, the actual model is quite crude, it could just be Jake's half-assed school project or something. The model may indicate no more than the basic shape of the ship.

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

^Jake, that half-ass. I agree.

14. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, obviously Jake got ahold of a kit of an ancient Earth space shuttle and used it to "fudge up" the Daedalus. ;)

(for those who are confused by this... the one seen on screen was largely kitbashed from a Space Shuttle model kit!)

15. Captain Robert April

So, the secondary hull is actually the shuttle's external fuel tank? And the nacelles are the SRB's?

16. Cary L. Brown

Yep, absolutely. And the front of the secondary hull is something from Home Depot's plumbing department as I recall... if memory serves, it was either a threaded pipe cap or a knob for a faucet.

17. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Very interesting, indeed.

You know what? I would love to see elements of this design combined with elements of Karim Nassar's take on the Daedalus and Forbin's kitbashed S.S. Reeses.

There are elements in each of these ships that I like which are absent from the others.

From Aethernaut's drawings, I like the lines and the textures. I especially like the connecting tube. Aethernaut made it thick and gave it a distinctive structure.

Karim Nassar invented a another very interesting idea: He took the nacelle pylons and moved them further back on the tube, and moved the tube so it sits on top of the secondary hull, rather then just flowing into the upper-bow of it. I also really like the textures of the hulls and nacelles on Nassar's design, and the shape of the front of the secondary hull.

Forbin's S.S. Reeses is really special. I like how the dish is back on the front of the secondary hull and how the connecting tube is elevated, leading into the very bottom deck of the pseudo-saucerette, thus allowing clearance for the navi-deflector.

I'd love to see a design that combines these things into one post-ENT ship.

It would be neat to see a Daedalus (or variant of same) that has a saucerette like Forbin's, but maybe shaped a little more spherically and with some of the textures from the other two. The connecting tube could combine
    Aethernaut's and Nassar's designs, and the secondary hull could put a Forbin-like dish on the front of Nassar's design, with warp nacelles like a cross between the three, if that's possible.

18. Cary L. Brown

All of that is quite interesting, and worth discussion... but this is a thread about APRIL'S TAKE on the Daedalus, isn't it?

While I'm in the majority, I think, in terms of not wanting to see a wholesale tossing-out of the existing variation... let's let CRA do this thing, shall we?

Personally, I prefer the spherical-primary-hull design. I like CRA's take, as an "interim" ship design, but not as this particular ship.

However, it's also worth pointing out that despite the description of the "spherical ship" as the Daedalus class in the Encyclopedia, I don't believe it was ever described that way on-screen. All we KNOW is that the "sphere p-hull ship" was called the Horizon... right?

There's no "canon" support that the Horizon was a Daedalus class ship. The only Daedalus class we know of, for sure, is the Essex... right? And we don't know, canonically, that the Archon was one of these either...

SO... a compromise would be to say that the Horizon was exactly what we saw on DS9... based upon the M.J. sketch. But that the Archon may have been something else. And that the Essex, and all of her Daedalus class siblings, may have been llike the Archon or may have been something ENTIRELY different.

This might also be the S.S. Valiant, rather than the Daedalus-class... after all, the timing would be right... and we know a LITTLE bit about the Valiant (crew complement, general speed capabilities, etc... plus what their recorder-marker looked like!)

Just my suggestions. I really prefer the original... as you can see in this render from years ago by Mateen Greenway (downloaded from the old "Wolfpack" website)

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2008-05-06

It's really not a bad design. "Over-greebly-ing" designs doesn't really help them as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I'm concerned, that'll always be the Horizon and the Archon. But whether or not it's the Daedalus... that's a whole 'nother topic.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Hate to say it, but that pencil sketch upthread is as ugly as the Daedalus model Jein built, if not moreso.

20. Captain Robert April

Which pencil sketch would that be?