BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mattpiper

mattpiper Ensign Red Shirt

That's one of the most incredible Star Trek-related graphics I've ever seen. How you were able to make the "shapes" on the bottom of the hull correspond with actual components of the power-generation system is fantastic. I enthusiastically await your next update.

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, mattpiper beat me to it, I was going to say that! :)
    Needless to say, this is very impressive work. It's great how the M/AM reactor (despite being based on the TNG shape) fits so well with the hatch on the bottom of the E.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Okay, you win.

I could definitely get behind this layout. I think you've figured it out.

What else can I say?

--Alex

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suggest that Blssdwlf should petition T'Bonz to change his name to "Mathesar", because he's definitely the leader of the Thermians!

5. mattpiper

mattpiper Ensign Red Shirt

I concur. By Grabthar's hammer, blssdwlf is definitely Mathesar to me.

6. AudioBridge

AudioBridge Captain Captain

Unbelievable work. If I didn't know better I'd say you were a Starfleet Engineer! Your finished product will deserve publishing.

7. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL :D Thanks guys. I'm working on the S2 layout and doing a little fine-tuning. Afterwards, going to start laying down cabins and hallways based on the s1 episodes. Might do the TWOK torpedo bay though to see how much room I might need in the TOS version.

@Albertese - the idea of the large cargo bay in TMP as where the old machinery was is starting to look very plausible. The general locations are about the same and when I put some wall and ceiling framework up (TOS-style) it does look like the future TMP setup! :)

8. Albertese

Brilliant.

I've been looking at your work here again and I notice that you put a grill on the outboard part of the warp coils. I love it! It makes it tie into the rest of the franchise nicely. The TMP ship had grills on both sides of the nacelles, adding them here makes it seem like, even though the ship is very different after it's refit, the technologies aren't totally unrelated. It even fits in line with Drexler's conjectural 5th season Enterprise refit, which would have plated over the outboard openings in Archer's ship's nacelles.

I wonder about the hatches. The ventral ones on the hull line up very nicely with what you've put inside. I wonder how the nacelle markings add up with the guts. The long rectangle just behind the attaching pylons and the gray shape on the lower front ends of the nacelles ought to line up with something. I wonder how these fit in with your scheme. Also I'm curious what you have planned for the small square and the red rectangle beneath the fantail.

I've seen it suggested that the hatches all over the ship could be color coded. Since you've got an antimatter tank beneath the yellow circle, might there be a tank of some sort beneath the yellow rectangle aft of the bridge? Perhaps for the torpedo warheads? I dunno, on second thought, might not want that right behind the bridge. Well, so much for color coding.

Also I wonder how the guts of the ST5 and ST6 ship fit with the ventral markings there. Could the workings in 1701-A have reverted back to the TOS arrangement? Oh well ... That's a whole 'nother project.

All in all, this project it top notch. Right up there with Shaw's work. I must admit, all day today at work I was thinking about your engineering set-up. Few of these TrekBBS projects follow me though the day like that. Thank you for the great work. And keep it up!

--Alex

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  9. blssdwlf

@Alex - thanks for your kind words of encouragement and I'm glad you noticed the outboard grilles :D

On the nacelle I positioned the m/am components to correspond to the forward ventral gray piece as I've seen the idea of a swappable component on other layouts. The ventral red rectangle hatch behind the pylon I figure could be used to access large parts of the energiser in the nacelle.

The yellow and red hatch behind the bridge I guess could be for some type on in-flight refueling station. (Assuming an aviation model, the B-52, F-105, etc aircraft of the 1960's had their inflight refueling equipment in very close proximity to their cockpit.) When the TMP redesign/refit occurred it could be explained that the area was expanded to also include a personnel docking station as well since the fuel piping was already there :)

The yellow and red hatch on the port side ventral of the primary hull I'm thinking could be for loading/reloading the photon torpedoes or for refueling the torpedo antimatter tank. I think that when Kirk took command the Enterprise was removed of her lasers and other weaponry and refitted as an all phaser gun ship. After "Balance of Terror", a photon torpedo system was added to the primary hull but instead of running antimatter fuel piping to that location, a small fuel tank was located there instead. In TMP it could be explained that with the relocation of the torpedo launchers to the neck, the EVA room expanded or was returned to it's original location :)

Anyway, those are my current thoughts on those hatches :D

Oh as to the bottom hatches on the engineering hull in ST5 and 6, I'm tempted to ignore them since they weren't seen on screen as far as I can tell. I think also the TOS engineering bottom hatches weren't really visible as well but I was lucky to come up with parts that worked out with the shapes. Otherwise, I would've left the TOS hatches as generic markings for other equipment :shifty: :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

WOW. That is amazing work! :bolian:

11. blssdwlf

Here's a WIP of the Season 2+ Energiser layout. Not much different except the relocation of the dilithium crystals to the floor structure in the engine room and takes up part of the deck below. The deck below the engine room happens to be the 7th deck in the engineering hull in my particular setup :)

[​IMG]

12. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work this should end up in a technical manual of its own :techman:

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm...interesting arrangement, but I think I'll be sticking with my version. For one thing, I prefer to have the main power conduit further to the interior. Having it that close to the hull makes it way too vulnerable.

14. Albertese

Vulnerable? Vulnerable like the pipes in the pylons? Or the Bridge?

--Alex

15. Captain Robert April

Why add to those problems by running the main power lines right up against the hull?

16. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

If it's armored underneath there could be panels that could be ejected in case of a breach. You could eject the section that's breached and replace it later.

17. blssdwlf

@CRA - That's cool. My arrangement is one of many possible ones out there and mine isn't meant to be "the one" :)

I don't think it adds any more to the problem since they are being lead off of the already exposed warp pylons and must come into the engineering hull to get to the dilithium crystals. Regardless of where the circuit / power line is, any direct hit to the area where the two warp pylons connect on the engineering hull would be crippling.

Thinking about TOS and the TOS movies, there aren't really many circumstances that a starship will survive un-shielded against full power weapons at close range.

It took only 4 phaser beams (2 volleys) from within transporter range to destroy an unshielded (but hurt) Klingon Battlecruiser in "Day of the Dove".

Full power phasers from the Enterprise at moderate to long ranges killed all the crew of the Excalibur in "The Ultimate Computer". If M-5 took the time to get closer to the Excalibur it's a good chance there wouldn't be anything left of the ship to salvage. (Note: this is not based on the Remastered FX version which employs the usual TNG point-blank visual distance mentality.)

"The Wrath of Khan" showed what would happen if a ship's energisers were precisely targeted with low powered phasers. The outcome would've been far different and catastrophic for the Enterprise if Khan instead went after the antimatter fuel or if he instead fired at full power (think USS Grissom and "The Search for Spock".)

Speaking of which, General Chang's BOP in "The Undiscovered Country" had terrible targeting. He got like 14 hits on the Enterprise, with one when burning through what was left of the shields and he's targeting the saucer? He should have targeted the bottom and/or the spine of the engineering hull :lol:

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

blssdwlf, JonnyQuest037, et.al. extremely impressive technical structural breakdown of the Enterprise.:techman::drool:

19. Captain Robert April

I think Chang was going by the Ming the Merciless school of combat.

"I like to play with things a while....before annihilation."

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't give me any credit for it. That is all blssdwlf's work. I was just quoting his posted art in my response. What he's done here is way beyond my capabilites as a technical artist.