TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know if I can deal with all that 80s hair. They seem to be showing a lot of more "recent" stuff lately-- that is to say, 70s and 80s, in addition to 20s through 50s.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is this any good? I've never seen it, but I remember that Catherine Mary Stewart was in it, and I've always liked her.

Ooh, that's a must. Too bad it isn't part of the monster-movie night that includes Godzilla, because it was an inspiration for that film. It would be nice to see them back-to-back (although I'd prefer the Japanese version of Godzilla to the Raymond Burr version).

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm also curious about this one. Robert Beltran is in it, too, and I've been meaning to watch it on Netflix for ages, but have never gotten to it. Anyone seen it?

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Night of the Comet is a lite movie. Basically 1980's consumerism fantasy for teenagers. Competently done, if not inspired.

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad that "It Came From Beneath the Sea" will be airing. Never saw it until a week ago when the Sony Movie Channel aired it as part of a month long Ray Harryhausen tribute. Just as the 6 limbed octopus was making its way to San Francisco, the weather got stormy enough to disrupt my DirecTV signal, so I missed the climax of the film.

Looks like I'm getting another chance.

Sincerely,

Bill

6. Christopher

^I believe the model actually had only five limbs. It's sometimes called the "Quintopus." Although the creature in-story was presumably supposed to have eight limbs; we just never saw them all at once.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Mary Woronov, a mini-Eating Raoul reunion.

Man, I watched this many times growing up, it was an HBO staple at one time. I thought the leads were cute as a young'un. I think it's a fun movie but not necessarily essential as sojourer says. It's very 80s for better and worse, almost like a John Hughes apocalypse movie.

8. RJDiogenes

The only thing I remember about it is that Catherine Mary Stewart was cute. I'm curious to see it again.

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the anecdote I read a few time over the years myself, 5 limbs. But in that 90 minute retrospective Ray himself claimed it had 6 limbs and then the presentation cut to another filmmaker (I forget whom) who also stated 6.

So, I don't know what to believe any more. I'm beginning to suspect I keep "slipping" into divergent quantum realities because people will state one thing and then later claim they never did. :wtf: ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

Watched the first four chapters of the Judex serial last night. Since it's a 12-parter, things move a little slowly (Judex himself doesn't appear in the Prologue). Also, so far no "origin of Judex." We don't know who is or where he came for, just that he is "a champion of justice." I guess this will all come out in the remaining installments. By the way, the chapters were presented in their proper order: Prologue, Chapters 1, 2, and 3. Hopefully, the later ones will be also.

11. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And his brother's name is "Roger." He also had an article about someone named "de Tremeuse" (sic) that he looked at with the word "PAPA" written on it; I guess to remind himself of his relation to the subject of the piece.

It's interesting to see so much of the Shadow's precedents in this serial: the secret sanctum (with concealed passageways, no less), the sending of warnings via notes with an elaborate signature, the "cutting-edge" technology employed ("electric mirrors" and the like), and a network of associates (by which, I refer to his "distress" birds and "fantastic" dog pack). The cape and slouch hat are too obvious to remark on.

I can't wait to see the remainder of this serial. My fervent hope is that Judex and the Licorice Kid team-up to vanquish the villains in the final installment.

12. RJDiogenes

Ben Mankiewicz actually did a little prologue of his own where he rattled off all the similarities to the Shadow and Batman. It's amazing that I've never heard of this character before.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What, you're not an expert on silent French serials of the 1910s?

14. RJDiogenes

Sadly, no. :rommie: But I've read a lot of articles and books on the history of the Pulps and genre fiction, as well as the film equivalents, that cite their antecedents back to the 1800s and further. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning Judex.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Just a reminder...

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Still a classic and a favorite (love how obviously they try and shoehorn Raymond Burr into the existing footage and story - and interestingly enough the Japanese included him in the 1985 (30 year anniversary) Godzilla film as a result.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why is the 1984/1985 version of Godzilla never shown anywhere anymore?

18. Christopher

Actually they didn't. As with the original, the footage of Burr was added by the American distributors for the US version of the film, which also differed from the Japanese version in other ways, mainly a dub script that had more humor and that presented the Soviet characters in a more negative light.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  19. RJDiogenes

^^ It's too recent to be on TCM (although they did show Night of the Comet recently, so maybe they are working their way into the 80s). The only other place we'd be likely to see it is Encore.

Tonight is definitely an awesome lineup on TCM. :mallory:

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, another thing I didn't know about the 1985 film - that's hilarious that they added him into the U.S. version again.:rommie: