World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

On the other hand she looked just like Patrick Stewart! So it was kind of like Picard was fucking himself in that movie! I think Stuart Baird really missed the boat when he didn't cast Murphy as Shinzon in Nemesis. She is Picard's clone!

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

Nearly spit Coke onto my keyboard.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's been on all three L&O series in various guest roles, and her acting was much better there.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Which is the curse of Modern Trek, underwhelming performances by the guest stars.

5. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

With a script like that I can't really blame her for not being that into it.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It's a shame, really. It looks like they've assembled a good cast and written a decent script-- with the obvious exceptions of pandering to the Generation ADHD and fanboi mentality-- and they could have applied that toward telling the story of how these characters came to meet and their first mission together, going where no man has gone before. Instead they've used it to tell a commonplace story of revenge, create a juvenile action movie and wipe away the continuity of an iconic concept just to be kewl. What a missed opportunity.

7. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

QFT. I especially like this part: "with the obvious exceptions of pandering to the Generation ADHD and fanboi mentality" :lol:

8. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

Be glad you are here...
    Write stuff like that in the Enterprise forum and they slap you with an infraction!

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And of course, it was never suggested that Kirk was as well-educated as a youth as he would become.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I remember you at the academy! A stack of books with legs! The only thing I ever heard from an upperclassman was 'Watch out for Lieutenant Kirk! In his class, you either think or sink!" ;)

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. That was Kirk as an instructor/officer at the Academy, quite some time after he'd left Iowa. How old do you suppose - early twenties? :cool:

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

This is probably too true. Still, it will undoubtedly be an enjoyable romp. Like a fun thrill ride. Little thinking. A lot of reacting. Mostly oohs and ahhhs. Over too soon. At the end after catching one's breath, it'll be, "That was fun. Let's do it again!" JJ has apparently made the "anti-TMP".

But I do hope in the second movie he remembers that Trek fans (indeed most movie goers) don't mind being made to think a bit as they are being entertained. Let's hope Trek movies don't become a series of mindless (even if well-produced) "Independence Day" type action flicks. A little depth. A little time to think and let things sink in. A little maturity.

13. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

No, they do that here too, as long as you post an image macro with it or something. They'll claim that you're tormenting the mods and the posters and ban you for a month. ;)

14. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

You mean from that universe that you keep reminding people is supposed to be different from what's being established in the movie and so doesn't count anymore? That Kirk? Who was tormented by a guy named Fennigan? Who wasn't turned in by Spock for cheating on the "No Win" test but was instead given a commendation for original thinking? Who graduated the academy and worked his way up through the ranks like any other officer? That Kirk?

15. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

That Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

16. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... I had a picture of one of the deleted Klingon scenes, but I deleted it. Still - is there some variant of that or the "the wait is over" scene in there?[​IMG]

17. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Yes, so no one should probably use anything that happened in that other life to justify brain farts like Cadet Kirk ending up in command of a large, top-of-the line starship. After all, can't have things both ways if any complaints based on what happened in the original franchise are invalid, right? ;)

18. urbandk

rura penthe = deleted (looking forward to it on blu ray)

wait is over = still in there, i'm pretty sure.

19. urbandk

he won the enterprise sweepstakes. he's taking the enterprise to disneyland! :)

20. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Enterprise Rent-A-Car you mean - they totally picked him up in that classic Corvette. They were a little pissed at him when he dumped it into a big quarry, though.