Did Kirk's TMP admiral uniform almost become standard issue?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Robert Comsol, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Here's a little Christmas stocking contribution for the holidays.

I purchased this image many years ago from a Californian photo dealer (because it looked rare) but never understood how to properly categorize it:

[​IMG]

Maab saved an excerpt from an auction catalogue (with some odd suggestions in the text, IMHO) with a mirrored shot of the above image.

The style of the uniform looks like a prototype for Admiral Kirk's TMP uniform. Personally, it's my all time favorite uniform type, and I would have wished they'd made this one into standard issue, but probably rejected this idea on behalf of highlighting Shatner's entry into the film, instead.

While the auction catalogue text suggests an abandoned Phase II design, it rather looks like an early TMP design, IMHO:

• On the left sleeve there's the new Starfleet insignia TMP style (though strangely not on the left chest)
    • The uniform already has the TMP epaulettes indicating the rank of the uniform's wearer
    • The belt "buckle" is the TMP bioscanner but still looks somewhat bigger than the final design
    The fact that the uniform is being worn by an actor in full Vulcan make-up (apparently neither Xon or Commander Sonak) adds to the mystery of this image.

If a story could be told about this uniform prototype, I'd really like to know.

Bob

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just something about the color of the uniform pictured that makes the white look like a bib. I'm glad it never made it into the film.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

reminds me just a bit of Carol Marcus' tunic in TWOK, which supports the notion that this is TMP, not p2, since Fletcher was Wise's replacement for TMP and carried over through TVH.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They do all kinds of costume tests with variations on set and under lights to see what will work. Likely this was one variation amongst many that didn't make the final cut.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The two-tone colouring reflects the concept of the paint finishes of the 3.75" Mego Spock and Ilia figures. Considering that the Decker figure in that set was in the yellow uniform (as in an early wardrobe test of Stephen Collins), perhaps this Vulcan pic was done to provide early pictorial info to the Mego sculptors?

[​IMG]
    TMP Bridge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    MegoTMP action figures ad by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I read it ages ago (pre-internet) that Kirk's uniform was the formal or dress uniform of that time. Other dress uniforms (grey, tan, etc.) have the white section down the middle of the tunic as well, but admirals have a high collar while everyone else has the regular circular collar as shown in the photo above.

7. Robert Comsol

^^ That would explain the absence of the Starfleet insignia on the chest. The TOS dress uniforms didn't have one either.

Bob

8. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Whatever the explanation, very nice pic. Thanks for sharing, Bob!

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another officer can be glimpsed wearing the uniform at Starfleet HQ:

[​IMG]

That may be the costume with captain's stripes seen here (scroll down)...
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/articles/trekevent/trekevent.html

... though that one seems to have incorrect admiral shoulder marks.

I've always figured that it was a dress uniform authorized for all officers, and Kirk happened to be coming from a more formal setting at the time.

Except for the court officer and Lt. Shaw in "Court Martial."

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The two-tone uniforms looked ok. I think with padded shoulders like the later TNG uniforms they would have had a less pyjama-like feel. TNG designers certainly knew that black was more slimming than blue-grey or tan though...

11. Robert Comsol

Great catch! :techman: I'd say the captain's uniform in the link you posted tells us this one is not exclusive to flag officers

Yes, the court officer wears the same type of dress uniform as McCoy. Looks like once you have your first decoration you can get rid of the insignia.

Lt. Shaw wears a dress uniform? Wow, I hadn't noticed that earlier (must be because of her rank stripe) but the comparison does indeed suggest a female dress uniform.

Bob

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And it seems to be the more satiny material - and the same seamlines - as Chapel's blue nurse's uniform, rather than the regular velour.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

[/QUOTE]

Lt. Shaw wears a dress uniform? Wow, I hadn't noticed that earlier (must be because of her rank stripe) but the comparison does indeed suggest a female dress uniform.

Bob[/QUOTE]

In all the decades I've watched these eps to death, I never noticed this detail until I saw Court Martial in HD earlier this year, and then it was VERY noticeable.