Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just saying that I understand why some fans would be annoyed.

Mr Awe

2. Mr Awe

Web of Fear (6) plus Enemy of the World (6) minus Web part 3 should give us 11 episodes. So, does that mean 2 episodes are missing from Enemy?

3. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We already had an episode each of Web & Enemy

4. Mr Awe

^ d'oh!

Well I'm super hyped over these finds! Fantastic! :)

5. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are people like that in all fandoms not just Who. Fandoms in general are hardly known for calm reasonableness.

With Who you do have the added complication of British fans expecting more from the BBC as they pay for it and non British fans not really understanding why the BBC doesn't act like your run of the mill commercial organisation.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really, the embargo is silly in this case (and I say that having worked as a journalist): embargo the information until the press conference, and send it out to the papers earlier with that embargo so no-one can post it ahead of the actual announcement, but they can have the pages ready to go when the journalist at the event gives the newsdesk OK (inthe same way that political speeches are distributed early, and the correspondent writes their piece ahead of time, but then updates them from the spot to report any ad-libs, fluffs or secret additions), but embargoing it for eight hours after the announcement... that's running things as if it was still the early 1990s and the newspaper first editions were the only game in town..

7. Mr Awe

^ It's just strange and it fits in with the established perceptions of the BBC, which is one reason why I can understand fans being annoyed!

But, it's all good in the end! Great news!

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a link to a cached version of that article, for any who might be suspicious of a Tumblr repost.

I was hoping they'd be announcing more, both because I hope more exists and because rumors will swirl that there's more anyway. But others can worry about that. Nine episodes, four from one of the most-desired stories, is extraordinary enough.

Nigeria again-- I think that was also the source of the largest previous return (barring what the BFI sent back), when a bunch of episodes came back in the mid-1980s.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

"the nine were among eleven" - the other two, I presume, being the Underwater Menace and Galaxy Four episodes from last year.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Obviously that article hadn't been finalized before it was published-- at one point it says "all six" episodes of "Web" were found, even though only five were missing and one still is. (I'm sure the people claiming "Web" 3 is being held back as blackmail will make something of that.) Elsewhere in the article the numbers are correct.
    Well, neither of those stories sold to Nigeria, so it's unlikely unless the "television relay station" was a bicycling hub. Though it was also part of the rumors that the collector credited for the 2011 episodes was a front for Morris' recovery of them. Possibly the 11 include redundant copies of the two existing episodes from "Web" and "Enemy." Though that raises the question where the copy of "Web" 3 from that set went. Cue rumors again...

And just to be clear, at this point I'm not dismissing any claim that doesn't defy the laws of physics.

13. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

One top flight serial fully recovered, another top flight serial only missing one episode(which will no doubt be animated by Qurios for a dvd release).

All in all a good day. :)

14. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyhoo, that's me done with Missing Episodes threads.

If there's more to come I'll find out when they're ready to be announced, if not I'm not up for years of rumours and conspiracies about all of the other episodes that are really out there.

15. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    It's perfectly possible that Nigeria's copies of much of season 5 *were* junked and these episodes managed to slip through the net - explaining why there's a complete Enemy but not a complete Web

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd assume the other two episodes were dupes of the already existing episodes of Web and Enemy, yes.
    An interesting point is that the 1974 sale to Nigeria that included these two stories (the War Machines/Time Meddler/Web Planet sale that was recovered in 1984 was to a different, unconnected station) also included Abominable Snowmen and Wheel in Space. But it seems a fair bet that they would have been recovered and announced in this batch if they still existed there :-(.

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ridiculously great time to be a Doctor Who fan. Easily the highlight of the anniversary year.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Great, great news.

I wonder where the rumor about Marco Polo came from. Up until this point, it had been heavily rumored to be part of the find.

19. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doctor Who fandom has been so diluted this year with all the rumours about the revived series and missing episodes. I've washed my hands with following it all.

20. Mr Awe

Either the rumor was wrong (no surprise) or the BBC does have this and will announce it later. There's no confirmation that these were the only ones found at this point, just that these 2 stories are the ones being released on iTunes.

Mr Awe