Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

According to today's Torygraph, Capaldi has said he's going to keep the Scottish accent for it

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So they took the actual quote from Moffat and pretended he said it instead?

British Journalism. Best in the world!

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Clara would stomp on his foot, knee him in the nuts, and then punch him if he tried to throttle her.

Something tells me it wouldn't be controversial. :lol:

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt they'd ever go as far as giving us another grumpy, irritable Doctor like Six. Or making him too serious or aloof or adult like some of the other Classic Doctors.

Despite what Moffat says, I'm sure he'll still be written much like the last few Doctors. Cipaldi will just play it a bit more subdued, is all.

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More from Moffat: “One of the horrors of regeneration is that a certain amount of his persona alters entirely. His appetites and his enthusiasms will change. And that’s sort of what I’m writing about now in Matt’s last episode, the fact that he’s terribly aware that he’s about to be rewritten. And it’s frightening.”

So basically he's taking Tennant's last line and turning it into an entire episode. Given how much froathing at the mouth and nerd rage those five words provoked, mostly from people who like to go on about how much better Moffat is than Davies, I wonder what the reaction will be like this time...

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I dunno. I can easily picture Davison saying that "coward" line and making the same choices that Eccleston did in that episode. While some Doctors would be capable of making that kind of cold, calculated decision (*cough*McCoy*cough*), others wouldn't.

I'd never really thought of Eccleston as "Davison with PTSD" but that actually fits now that I think about it. Although, Eccleston was a bit goofier than Davison. There were some small dollops of Troughton, T. Baker, & early McCoy in there.

Yeah. I was actually just rewatching some of the early Tennant episodes. What the hell was up with that? Even at his worst, the 6th Doctor was never so casually insulting to Peri as the 9th & 10th Doctors are to Mickey.

Yeah. Colin Baker would have gotten away with it had he been paired up with a ballsy companion that wouldn't take any crap from him, like Tegan or Barbara. But when he picked on Peri, it just seemed mean.

Although, I think Benton had the benefit of actually seeing the 2 Doctors together first.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Six is my favourite of the first seven doctors by far. But I doubt Capaldi will be like him much. Although His and Clara's relationship compared to Smith and Clara's relationship would probably echo Davison and Bryant's relationship compared with C. Baker and Bryant's relationship.

8. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

*shrug* I liked Tennant's last line, myself.

The Doctor is a changeable individual just like anyone. Who on earth is peppy 100% of the time? I have no issue with them exploring different parts of his personality and different moods. Partly because I've learned by now that on Doctor Who, they often talk in big ways but the end product is more "safe" and conventional than you'd first think. So when I read what Moffat is saying about the 12th Doctor, I'm thinking he'll be a combination of Pertwee and Tennant and Eccleston. At first he'll be gruff towards Clara but she'll change his mind, and all will be fine within 3 episodes and we'll go merrily along.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. While I like the idea of Capaldi as the Doctor, I have a really hard time picturing how Clara's relationship with the 11th Doctor will translate once he regenerates. So much of Clara's interactions with the 11th Doctor is based on this sort of casual flirtation with each other that I'm not sure makes sense with an older Doctor. (Unless Capaldi turns out to be a suave, sexy older Doctor like Jon Pertwee.)

It would be funny if he pointed out to her, "You know, no matter what face I have, there's still an 1100 year age difference between us."

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, that's what I mean. Benton saw them, got a brief explanation and caught on right away. The Brig didn't get it, even when it was more thoroughly explained to him, LOL

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, the Brig did understand that both Doctors were the same man. He figured that out on his own in "Spearhead from Space" even before he actually had a chance to speak to the new Doctor. What he had trouble comprehending in "The Three Doctors" was how the old Doctor and the new Doctor could both be there at the same time.

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely the point of that line, that episode, and that scene, is that the Doctor was that person once, but will not be again. It's not that the Doctor is a coward per se, but that if someone claims not being willing to go into battle and kill innocents is "cowardice", then yes, the Doctor is a coward. I love that moment, and I like its callback in "The Family of Blood."

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Right, he didn't catch on or accept it nearly as quickly as Benton. And the Brig got a better explanation than "I am he and he is me, kookookachoo"

14. Christopher

Agreed. It's the Dalek Emperor who chooses the word "coward" to mean "one who will not exterminate an entire race." The Doctor is affirming that he's not willing to sink to their level by committing genocide, and since "coward or killer" was the choice of labels he was given, well, there you go. Also, maybe at that particular moment, he's willing to accept the "coward" description because he feels bitter at himself that his moral code won't let him wipe out the Daleks. But that's a function of his conflicted emotions at that moment. I'm sure RTD didn't intend it as an objective statement of fact.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

As opposed to RTD who wrote two episodes about it?

Seriously how long are you going to hang onto this hatred thing? A lot of fans were glad to see RTD go and happy to see Moffat take over and you've been blaming Moffat for this since before he even took over. Never mind that a lot of those fans might think differently now, or that there are plenty of fans who love both, and plenty who hate both.

Can't you see anything Moff does in positive terms?

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I thought the line was relatively well-liked (at least I remember it being so at the time). It's a way to have some impact of the Doctor "dying" when we all know he isn't going to die.

17. Christopher

I'm not sure I want another story where the Doctor is aware that his regeneration is coming up. It's a little too metatextual. Granted, the Fourth Doctor had warning of his impending demise from the Watcher, but it didn't really affect the way the story unfolded, and we, the viewers, didn't know that he knew the end was coming until it happened. But we just had Tennant's run end with a story -- heck, an entire arc -- where he had advance warning that his demise was coming, and Smith's whole run so far has been dominated by prophecies about the Doctor's imminent death, and I'm just getting a little tired of it.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect it's the nature of arc-based television storytelling that's driving this.

Eccleston avoided the long-term build-up to his regeneration, but that was due to the uncertainty from the producers as to 1) whether or not the series was going to continue and 2) whether or not Eccleston was going to continue in the role if the series did continue.

Since then, however, you're right in noting that both Tennant and Smith have their inevitable ending overhanging the stories themselves. And I think that the example of series like Lost is the reason because audiences are primed now to expect apocalyptic changes at the end of seasons. But those apocalyptic events can't happen in a vacuum; instead, they have to be hinted at, built towards, and made unavoidable as the episodes tick down toward the inevitable conclusion. So long as Doctor Who is made in the style of arc-based genre television, I doubt we'll see another shocking, non-apocalyptic regeneration like "Caves of Androzani."

In the particular instance of Matt Smith's regeneration to Peter Capaldi, I'd like to think right now that the reason Smith's Doctor was so freaked out by the appearance of John Hurt is that he already knows what happens after that point because he's already witnessed his regeneration through Hurt's eyes so he knows that when he meets Hurt's Doctor that his end is nigh. (I know that it's been said that Smith will be in the Christmas episode. I'm not convinced by that yet.)

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Huh? Smith is in the Christmas episode, I thought he was just going to regenerate into Capaldi at the end? The regen isn't in the 50th.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll know it when we'll see it, right?