death penalty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Faria, May 26, 2013.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

That should be

as brilliant as I am.

thank you.

On topic, you've all been waiting for it ... "no civilized country ..." (TM)Deckerd

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Well, in his own twisted way, Berlusconi is strikingly lurid, you cannot deny that. No half-measures around here.

Sorry about the gall bladder. But at least it makes your posts interesting, instead of the usual unreadable blather.

You know, I thought about wording it that way, but then it seemed like over-killing considering the OP.

Also, I couldn't help but notice you have been particularly acerbic recently. Something wrong?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Well I thought it was funny. I'll get me coat.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Don't worry about her, she's just annoyed she had to work a bank holiday instead of spending all day drinking.

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, short and stupid is not a correct definition for readable. By the way, I saw your post about characters in the new BattleStar Galactica and it is painfully obvious you don't speak English as well as you think.

6. iguana_tonante

Aww, did I hurt your precious self-esteem?

7. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

People have mentioned the death penatly being more expensive than life imprisonment, I'm curious as to why that's the case. Is it legal costs of all the appeals?

8. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

To me the way stj picked apart your nationalist crap was pretty lucid and transparent.

9. iguana_tonante

Lulz. You must have never read my posts if you think that my silly joke was anywhere near nationalistic. The only place where I congratulate my country is at the dinner table.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's a major part of the cost, but there are a lot of other factors as well.

^ Be sure to read this link especially. It breaks down the costs by state and at the federal level in detail.

11. horatio83

Looks like stj was right and you do indeed have problems with post that consist of more than three sentences.
    If I said nigga, nigga, nigga and then claimed that it was all just a silly joke I hope that nobody would accept this lame excuse.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Iguana is not nationalistic, and this is way off topic, so please move on.

13. iguana_tonante

Since we are not in TNZ, I edited it.

(The sentiment still stand, tho. Long-winded and pretentious doesn't mean necessarily intelligent. Which is clearly illustrated here if you believe that racial slurs and a bit of playful bravado are the same thing... or even in the same universe.)

14. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I see! Just picking something from your link:

"Study Reveals Costs in Maryland: $186 Million for Five Executions"

That's pretty shocking.

15. horatio83

Looks like stj was right again, your grammar sucks. You might wanna learn something from these oh-so-pretentious idiots who do at least put the words at the right place while they type.
    Nationalism is as bad as racism. Silly joke, playful bravado, the excuses are even getting lamer.

16. iguana_tonante

Lulz. I know you pride yourself on being dull and unfunny, but joking about one's country is not nationalism.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  17. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

That is good. I wish I was like that.

18. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

That has always been my big worry with it. I was once for it but the recent questionable executions in Texas and Georgia changed my opinion on it. Lock these scumbags away for life and make sure they never get out. That way the worse we've possibly done is jail an innocent man instead of killing him.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure that many of us have heard this quote from William Blackstone an English judge in the 18th century.

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone%27s_Ratio

The actual numbers used are immaterial, it is about erring on the side of caution. Just in case a mistake has been made.

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not quite sure where the thread can go. Practically no one who favors the death penalty does so for any reason other than the desire to kill people, and innocence doesn't diminish the pleasure one bit. The practical and moral arguments against it have been made effectively, yet the joy of state murder remains. The only novelty offered, the practical necessity for the death penalty in revolution, is unpleasant and undebated.

The ill-natured "joke" about Italian being awesome (that's a devastating satire on one's nation's pretensions!) was matched by my bilious jibe about Berlusconia. The only difference is I'm retroactively embarrassed by the crudity. And I'm sure my Italian grammar is much worse, though happily I'm aware of it. So, I don't feel too put upon. And I am aware that the real motive for the extraneous disdain is political animus. Disliking Lega Nord, especially for being lower class, is not leftwing, while disliking the Refoundation opposition or Proposta, assuming it hasn't blown up, is definitely politically conservative. Similarly, being anti-death penalty is not particularly left-wing. Prudence, commonly mislabeled a conservative virtue, in fact dictates the end of the death penalty.

The aside about the stupidity of liking the new BSG's characters was completely OT. Sorry.