MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330411125

So, Grinke breaks his collarbone after Carlos Quentin charges the mound after being hit by a pitch. On purpose? 3-2 count in a 1-run game, so obviously not. Quentin then goes into a "check out our history" rant as to why he charged the mound. Uh, Grinke has hit him 3 times in his career, last time in 2009. Not seeing the pattern there. Idiot...
    [​IMG]

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hitters have their heads up their asses with this "show me some respect" attitude. Even if Greinke had thrown at Quentin intentionally, which he obviously didn't, charging the mound is just being damned childish.

Bob Gibson was here in Omaha just recently when his statue at Werner Park was dedicated. I'm just going to hazard a guess nobody ever charged the mound against him...

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched it this morning and everything seemed to go so innocently until that hit by pitch. I don't know the history between the two of them, but man did Quentin seem to overreact on that one. That whole thing just seemed so random and unnecessary.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The thing where Jason Marquis threw at Matt Kemp's head in the first inning may also have played into it, since Kemp also was really agitating things in the later brawl...

5. tomalak301

I didn't see that. I heard something was up with Kemp and Scully mentioned it briefly during the fight but I didn't know the whole story behind it.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

As much as I think Quentin was a jackass and the brawl was basically his fault, I admit I don't know why Greinke leaned into it with his shoulder when Quentin charged. That may have been a bad move...

7. tomalak301

Well, it's a broken collarbone so I would say it was a bad move.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Quentin suspended 8 games for his part in the melee. Greinke reportedly out for 8 weeks at least.

Edit: ... Yankees just turned a triple play against the O's! :techman:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Eight games that will almost certainly be whittled down to four or five after appeal.

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Quentin = lack of baseball situational awareness.

Greinke = decides to take on a career .220 hitter on a team destined for the cellar of your division who outweighs you by 50 pounds. Greinke did nothing to diffuse the situation. I'm guessing his comments to Quentin were something to the effect of "thats what happens when you stand on top of the plate."

I love baseball but their inane unwritten rules are beyond stupid sometimes.

11. Timby

Well...

[​IMG]

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8 days vs 8 weeks. Who says nothing good ever comes out of charging the mound? Besides Robin Ventura? :p

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Cubs put closer Fujikawa on 15 day DL

He definitely looked off Friday night. Kept moving & stretching between pitches, plus his control was way off.

And you probably think you know what this means closer-wise, but Sveum says he's not putting Marmol back in the role.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So that leaves us Camp pretty much... guess he might do alright. Maybe... the confidence is just oozing out of this post. :p

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The article also mentions Russell as a possibility. He's a lefty and can be pretty good, though I'm not sure what other lefties that would leave in the bullpen.

They have recalled Rafael Dolis, unfortunately.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Can they do this?

To sum up: During the Dodgers/D-backs game at Chase Field a bunch of Dodger fans decided to buy some pricey suite seats behind home plate. The D-backs' owner found out and ordered them to either move, or put on D-backs gear.

Can they do that? It can't be simply because they're visible on TV; I've seen plenty of games in other ballparks in which visiting fans can clearly be seen behind home plate.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diamondbacks owner is a dick

18. Timby

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Braves win their 8th in a row. Gattitude > Natitude. This kid is raking early. I'm waiting until Freeman gets back to anchor the lineup. Heyward and B.J. are doing absolutely nothing. The Braves are riding Jupton and Gattis as well as strong pitching.

20. tomalak301

Happy to see the Giants back to the winning ways, but that injury to Clemenger looked really really bad. It was almost as if the spine was twisted the wrong way. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but he was down and not moving for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.