Peri... why do people like her?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by TJ Sinclair, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think part of it is focusing on the right stories-- she's good in Planet of Fire, The Caves of Androzani, and The Trial of a Time Lord. All the stuff in between, though...

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Peri is mostly awful, Nicola Bryant is gorgeous and lovely though, and I found her way sexier in more clothes and with her English accent in the Stranger videos than I ever found her in her bikini and American accent.

Come the revolution those who dislike SJS will be rounded up and sent to reeducation camps.

3. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I never was a big fan of Peri's.
    Then Mel came along and I wished that Peri was still on the show.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh Mel, she is the worst companion ever. So annoying. So glad she didn't last long.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought she got better with the Sixth as his tenure wore on. I didn't care for her much with the Fifth but I thought she balanced out the brusque nature of the Sixth Doctor.

The sad "American" accent did not do her any favors and I don't think that background ever really mattered (unless one takes a very cynical view of her negative qualities).

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved her accent. It was what made her her.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Sarah for the wife...Peri for the mistress.

8. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Off topic, and a bit ranty, and I realize it's not your point, but I've always hated that expression with a passion. Not only is it insanely misogynistic and chauvinistic, it purports that marital infidelity is acceptable because it's fun. As someone who saw his mother absolutely destroyed by his father's affairs, NO, it is not acceptable.

The above is not directed at you personally. But everyone, please just think about it.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

10. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Well, of course I wanted to simply post "I'll give you 2 good reasons.." but the truth is, many American Who fans were pretty thrilled about an "American" regular on the show for the first time. A lot of my friends thought her character was an acknowledgment by the BBC of the show's popularity in the US. Of course, now that the show has actually filmed a bunch here, I feel much more acknowledged.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Point taken. Not that there haven't been boy toys to cougars over the years who have made wives political marriages to stuffy men a bit more bearable, but..six of one...

I just don't get the hate for Peri. She actually came across as a very wholesome and innocent girl.

12. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

See the original post of this thread. :rolleyes: (I'm not a Peri hater, btw.) And also most people imagining themselves in her place would've likely slugged Six in the jaw after 'The Twin Dilemma', demanded to be immediately returned home to Earth and not given him another chance, let alone stuck around and put up with him for all of Season 22 (as indeed most of the viewing audience didn't).

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What an interesting idea. A smug boorish Doctor who realizes he's an ass after his latest companion ditches him. I like that. He might even go back a year or so later and apologize. It would make for a fun dynamic between the two characters.