Twins On Playing Kirk's Caitian Friends

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, May 24, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For twins Katie and Kellie Cockrell, taking on the role of the two Caitians came with challenges. The first challenge was getting into bed with actor Chris Pine. “It was really fun but also really intimidating because Chris Pine is obviously not bad looking,” said Kellie. “He’s really handsome and very charismatic, and the whole [...]

More...

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be the first to admit they ARE cute and I certainly would not kick either out of bed for clawing the sheets, but someone will have to pay me a considerable bribe to have me call those ladies Caitians. I mean, the cat dancer (wonder if the production nicknamed her Omaha?) in Trek V looks far more felinoid than the Cockrell Twins, and I don't consider her a Caitian, either.

Sincerely,

Bill

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Since when are they Caitians? They are not humanoids with tails? I haven't seen a good studio still of their faces, but I saw no felinoid features there?

Okay, if that's the case, I'm thrilled. Can we have some good, clear closeups please?

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

StarTrek.com

When asked "Can you confirm that the creatures we see with Kirk during his off-hours on Earth are Caitians?" Lindelof said: "You mean the women with the tails?''

"Yes, this is the species that Lt. M'Ress was, from The Animated Series," said the person interviewing Lindelof.

"Yes, we can confirm this," said Lindelof.

5. Therin of Andor

This TAS fan says, "Excellent!"

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing you have not seen the film yet, Therin?

Trust me, the twins are effectively "neko-chan", human girls with tails. They don't even have feline type ears; Spock's are more pointed. And while I may have missed it, I personally did not see anything akin to a kitty type nose "pad" or an upper lip cleft. They certainly did NOT have fur.

They may have been listed as Caitians by the production, but they are so far removed from the source design (like that unused "Gorn" mask from the prior movie that looks more like some kind of "orc") that they might as well be another humanoid species.

Sincerely,

Bill

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I don't buy them as Caitians either.

Hell, the best Caitian we saw in live action was in Trek IV.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

WHAT. I didn't even know they were Caitians. They sure as hell don't look like Caitians.

WHERE IS THE FUR?

And don't say, "they waxed".

9. Therin of Andor

I've seen the movie three times, the first time being the world premiere. I see flashing tails, slender bodies and glimpses of two girls' faces.

Well, by the interview with the actresses, they claim they do wear appliances on their faces: "They made prosthetic ears [and] prosthetic noses; in the movie we have these kind of scale type things. Our characters are cats..."

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Carol Marcus should teach Kirk a lesson or two. It is bad enough that he can't recognize the girl who has helped beat the Kobayashi Maru after sleeping with her, but being one of those humans who wouldn't be involved with a Caitian unless she's waxed? Way to stay classy, Jim. Do you have any idea how painful and unpleasant an experience this is for a Caitian?

11. Therin of Andor

More than one way to skin a cat.

12. teacake

Why would anyone want a waxed Caitian anyway.. fur is all bristly and soft and nice.

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They must have been waxed because I couldn't make out any hair/fur anywhere on them except for their tails. Their faces were not feline in the least, no nose pieces at all. They had a row of prosthetic bumps along their ear/chin-lines. Maybe a row down both sides of their necks.

14. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Well, that settles it. You've seen the nuPrise. This is the nuFurry.

15. Therin of Andor

Yeah, the actresses mentioned "kind of scale type things". Maybe nose pieces were tested and not used? Seemed to me these aliens were more like the exotic butterfly catchers on Rigel, glimpsed in ENT's "Broken Bow".

Perhaps only Mommy was a Caitian and Daddy was something else.

16. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Or maybe they thought better of putting Pine on the big screen mounting two giant cats?

17. Therin of Andor

Taxidermist: "Do you want them mounted?"
    Customer: "Shaking hands will do."

In interviews, Quinto joked that Kirk "gets some tail" in the movie.

18. teacake

That's what I thought they were when I saw them. Too bad we never saw their tongues to confirm.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm confused with this. Abrams seems to have fun making various aliens more Star Warsesque (which I think is a good thing), and then turns around and takes one of the more exotic species and turns them into forehead aliens with tails.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Agreed on both counts.

[​IMG]

I hope we get some behind the scenes stuff where we get a better look at them in make-up.

That works.