DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This sounds like something I might want to pick up in trade. Not huge on DC these days, but I'm always open to a good super-hero story. :)

Comic Vine has an exclusive interview with Scott Snyder with a semi-spoilery tidbit that is apparently first revealed in this interview. Apparently Snyder has introduced a couple of supporting characters named...

...Joseph and Maria Powers. Snyder reveals that these are ancestors of Batman Beyond's Derek Powers, who is destined to one day take controlling interest of the Wayne family business. With this connection, I have to wonder why there isn't a "Court of Owls" tie-in with the BB book? Hell, even "All-Star Western" got one! Hell, BB is currently the only DC book I regularly buy, but a BB connection to the larger story would have had me already picking up the whole story, instead of a posssible trade wait.

Comic Vine also has a piece up explaining how Batman 10's reveal makes perfect sense.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Allyn...I don't know if I agree with your Bruce theory regarding Damian since when he came back he approved of Dick's work with Damian. I think Dick was made Nightwing again solely because of "The Dark Knight Rises" coming out this year. Same reason Bucky was unmade Captain America last year because of First Avenger. So far there has been no in-universe explanation why Dick is Nightwing, except that he doubted himself as Batman which seems completely forced characterization IMO. Everyone was loving his time in the cowl this time around.

If I was Mike Marts I would partner Damian back with Nightwing, and repartner Tim with Bruce. I think DC liked the idea of having a Batman and Son type book, but it's not really working out as well as I would have expected. Bruce and Damian have too different a dynamic. *Shrugs*.

I immediately noticed the Powers connection and got immediately excited. DC has introduced multiple Batman Beyond continuities, there is Morrison's with Damian as Old Bruce guiding Damian, there's the main timeline that takes place after the show, and then yet another alternate one. It's possible the New 52 will have an entirely different one.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There is already a dis-connect between the Beyond continuity and the Nu52. When we visited Clark's Fortress of Solitude, all of his old Superman suits were on display and only variations of the "trunks suit" were visible, with the current look not to be seen. Maybe to stay consistent with the DCAU?

Wasn't the DCAU-Earth one of the old 52 pre-Flashpoint Earths? Maybe they plan to keep BBU Earth separate from Earth-Prime. Still, they did a Hush sequel, a "Court" crossover still would have been cool.

4. Admiral_Young

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Except Vol. 2 issue 1 has Bruce talking about Damian killing Dr. Dedalus. He specifically states that Damian killed Dedalus after he killed Nobody. This doesn't make any sense, since Nobody was in the first arc of New52 Batman and Robin, and Leviathan Strikes was pre-Flashpoint.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I went ahead and read that piece at ComicVine about Batman #10. Seems the reveal was yet again some little tidbit, throwaway story(or two) through the decades on this character. Not sure I like actually fleshing this out.
    It's the same idea as "What if Jason Todd was alive again?". We got that and Red Hood was sorely mishandled to the point most were just agreeing to kill him again.
    Will people be clamoring for a rewrite on this reveal in Batman #10?

7. Admiral_Young

It's too early to tell if people will want a re-write. Snyder is just starting to unfold his story. Besides which, most fans have been absolutely loving "Batman" so far. Including the slow parts.

Who's agreed to kill Jason? I've liked how he's been handled so far. Except for that one panel involving Talia :) I haven't read Red Hood because I felt it sucked.

As for the reveal...Craig...it's part of a much larger story that Snyder has been weaving. As I mentioned several times in this thread, DC is slowly rewiring Bruce's continuity again through this story. This started back with Gates of Gotham. As for the impact...Snyder has stated the character revealed will be sticking around. This was just the beginning.

@OdoWanKenobi...I think we can both agree that Batman, Inc's continuity is screwed up big time. As I mentioned Bruce has a missing year now thanks to Final Crisis no longer existing. I'll try and find an excellent article I read about that from last year.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure I was going to pick up the Court of Owls hardcover, but the #10 reveal has me intrigued.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Pre-NU52, when Jason was revealed to be Red Hood there was a more than just a handful of people about the net at the then DC Boards, SHH and ComicBookResources forums that shared the sentiment of his reintroduction being a bit botched. To the point where if he were killed again it might just be best to set the status quo back to that.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Read "Batman" last night. FAN. TASTIC.

That's all I really have to say, great story, great reveal, great artwork.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Getting caught up on Supergirl. It's a fun book.

12. Admiral_Young

@Captain Craig...ah that would explain it then. I did like his return, I loved what Morrison did with him, not so much Winnick, and I might revisit Red Hood and the Outlaws again at some point. I hear it's gotten better since the opening arc.

@Dennis...I had to finally drop Supergirl. I couldn't tolerate the prolonged story going no where (no pun intended), same with Superboy. I might revisit Supergirl though with the zero issue. It sounds interesting, and it looks like we're going to get another revised take on Zor-El. The art was fantastic and consistent on Supergirl though. That's probably the only thing that I liked about it.

13. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I think Red Hood and the Outlaws is losing its way a little bit right now, but that might be the forced nature of the group's trip to Gotham so that they could fight owl-men instead of pursuing the actual story the series itself set up. Ironically and paradoxically, Jason's appearance in Batman and Robin this month is probably more like the early issues of Red Hood than Red Hood has been lately.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

I dropped Superboy, but I don't know where else Supergirl's story would be going right now. Poor thing's still figuring out what the fuck is going on and what she's supposed to do about it, and I don't blame her. She's not someone who's planned how to use her powers for years, a wealthy dude who's dedicated his life to an obsession or a space cop. She's a kid who woke up one morning before Prom into a post-apocalyptic nightmare.

I actually think she reached the point of deciding to defend Earth from the Worldkillers a little too quickly and facilely. I'd rather see her as a moody and troublesome stranger for quite a while - that would nicely complicate Clark's life, too, given that the authorities are not real comfortable with his existence.

At least give her some gut emotional reason to care about Earth enough to save it. Like maybe she'd adopted a local stray cat for company.

Much as I'm enjoying Morrison's run on Action he's moved way too fast for my taste through a lot of potentially interesting stuff - within three issues or so he went from vigilante protector of the powerless, a real street-level guy, to full-fledged superhero in full costume. In the bargain he encountered Metallo and Brainiac and Kandor and moved on from his first job for a city tabloid to the old status quo of working for the Planet with his pals. I'm disappointed by that.

15. Admiral_Young

The thing that frustrated me most about "Supergirl" is that you would think that Clark would pursuit his newly discovered and arrived cousin (you know...find out information about her) . They had that initial meeting then poof, Kara kind of gets wrapped up in adventure after adventure (which of course the writers intended, so I get that part) but no sign of Clark. I guess they wanted to do the meeting a little different than typical, which is something I do respect, but I disagree with the way they've handled her arrival.

I think the Superman Family self contained event is supposed to start soon...and they've teased a reunion between the two, and I understand she's supposed to settle down and get cast members, so we'll see. I've not given a second chance to books that I've dropped yet, and aside from you, I've not really read anything real positive about Supergirl other than the art.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Admiral I have enjoyed Supergirl so far. They are really playing up the fish out of water aspect that I felt was so lacking in the previous incarnation. Her inability to come to grips with all her powers and learning her vulnerabilites has been handled pretty well. They are also working on creating a good rogues gallery for her which I think has really been needed. I also think less Superman is more for where her story is right now. Having him there would take away from her story right now.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, I really don't want to see more Clark in Supergirl right now. These two should have major problems with one another, and she should keep her distance from him. Her book is more interesting that way.

Kara's not a superhero; at this point she's a lost soul. Maybe she ought to hang out with the wrong crowd for a while.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Supergirl is turning out to be great for the reasons mentioned above. I'm glad I stuck with it.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The books greatest strength even under Gates was her doing her own thing separate from Superman. Too bad her parents didn't survive. I think her mother was one of the more interesting antagonists created for the character.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know of anyone who was happy with the way the whole "New Krypton" saga ended. There were some very interesting status quo changes made to the Superman family, and then DC took them all away.