Onion AV Club Celebrates Voyager for 100+ episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by tighr, May 29, 2013.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The Onion AV Club has a feature where they review Television shows that reached the milestone of 100+ episodes, and this week's show is Star Trek: Voyager.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/star-trek-voyager-accidentally-presided-over-the-f,98207/

The reviewer discusses the merits of Voyager, compares it to TNG and DS9 as it's contemporaries, and talks about how UPN basically gave Voyager every chance it could to make it successful (stunt casting, magazine covers, etc). As a result, Voyager made it to the valued syndication number of 100+ episodes, despite viewership dropping off significantly in seasons 5, 6, and 7, even though those seasons are the best of the show.

Thoughts on the article?

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I generally agree with the article.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Brannon Braga was an okay writer on TNG, but he was a poor showrunner on VOY, although as it was the first series he did this for you can't entirely blame him.

4. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

For the most part I agree with the article, though I think Voyager's awfulness is often overstated. Yes, it could have been done a lot better, but it did have a number of really good episodes. It wasn't the greatest Star Trek, but I think it's better than most trash on TV these days.

5. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

Voyager is not an awful show so much as it never really pushes its boundaries like TNG and DS9 did. A lot of Voyager episodes are comfortably average, TNG wannabe fare; TNG made Voyager's boundaries. For some people, being average is a worse sin for a TV show than being noticeably awful.

There are of course, a lot of good, even great VOY episodes and a few god-awful ones as well.