We have lost TrekBBS moderator Mallory.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Bonz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Voodoo tumor. :mallory:

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry to read this. He was a class act, and everyone will miss him.

Best wishes to his family and all of you who knew him well.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Voodoo Doll of a Tumor. :mallory::mallory:

4. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

Bless his family and his friends.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:(
    My thoughts & prayers are with his family.
    Mallory was one of the kindest people I have encountered here and a great MOD. :mallory:

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Just saw this... It sucks. RIP Mallory.

7. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had to go and reread some of his previous posts, just to hold on to a memory. It was a pleasure and a joy.

Relax wherever you are, Mallory! Hopefully we can take care of TrekBBS as half as well as you did :mallory: :mallory: :mallory:

8. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

I always find situations liek this a little weird. I've had it in a couple of other forums.

My feeling is... people can't die. This is a forum. This isn't real life, it's endless!

But sadly it isn't. And it's a horrible shock... because in weird cyberworld the messages from that person just stop appearing. It's very sad in a whole different way.

RIP Mallory.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Has there been given any thought to maybe having a special, limited forum/page to commemorate BBSers who have passed away? Obviously it would be some work to make, but being that we now have at least three BBSers (at least, three I can recall) who have sadly left us - Nibbles, Techman, and now Mallory - is this something we could do?

I know the In Memoriam thread for Nibbles is still stickied back at the beginning of Misc, and I know we have the smilies for both Techman and Mallory ... but I think it might be nice to have a memorial for our friends who have left us.

10. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mallory had a great sense of humor. I remember first meeting him in the Enterprise forum during the Great Xindi-Sloth War. Mallory hated sloths, so I was inspired to make this little graphic, probably the first animated .gif I ever made.

[​IMG]

11. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't claim to have known him well, but it was always clear that he was a good man. His family must miss him terribly. No one should have to lose a father that young.

Best of luck in the Undiscovered Country, Mallory, and may you somehow, in some way, be reunited with those you love.

12. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I think this is a really great idea. I myself wasn't particularly close to any of them, but all of them certainly left their mark on this board and on the lives of all who have posted here over the last several years.

It's a nice idea to do something to remember them. :)

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I agree. That's definitely something to look into.

14. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mallory was one of my favorite posters here. My time on this board would have been very different and undoubtedly poorer without him. I will miss his presence immensely, and my condolences go to all those affected by his passing.

15. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is terrible news. :(

My condolences to his family and friends.

See you on the other side Mallory. :mallory:

16. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Haven't been able to face this place since I heard this news. Mal was one of the bravest, most down-to-earth people I met online. He was one of the reasons I stayed in the BR far longer than I should have.

I hope he's been given a suitable Modhammer where he's gone to continue to fight on the side of the angels.

17. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So true. I think that of all the people I have met on-line Mallory striked me as as most normal person I had met. You know, like he could really be a person I knew and interacted with in real life.

18. Tamar Garish

Tamar Garish Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure how much I can add to what has already been said.

Personally, Mallory was and is and incredible inspiration to me. As someone else who has serious medical issues, we often talked about our situations in Wordforge Chat. His relentlessly optimism in the face of astounding odds and the example of his many instances of beating those odds to keep on going has many times served as a reminder when I've been tempted to fall into the all too easy trap of self-pity on a bad day.

He was always there with a kind word for anyone, but a tough and fair opponent when in disagreement. His love of his family was deep and was one of the things that kept him going in the dark times.

He will be greatly missed by me...and I feel I can speak for Wordforge when I say that our board is poorer today than it was before October 13.

Know that Wordforge grieves with thee, TrekBBS, for the loss of a great man. :mallory:

19. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

I didn't hear the news until I saw it on another BBS. What a sad, terrible loss. Mallory was always an entertaining poster and fair mod. Truly a scholar and a gentleman.

RIP Mallory. :mallory:

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I only just noticed this thread. I can't say I knew him well, but he'll be missed around here. My condolences go out to his family and friends.