Possible Merger of Star Trek and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by datalogan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh no, does this mean the old "Enterprise-D vs. Star Destroyer" debates are going to start up again? :barf:

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And while we can all agree Storm was a better role in a better movie, Catwoman does have the redeeming quality of its costume.

Ahem.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the contrary, it was an utterly hideous costume. What it revealed was quite spectacular, but the costume itself was atrociously designed, especially the cowl.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

+1

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nobody is going to merge the two. It's like merging McDonalds and Burger King. Sure, they're in the same category and there are similarities but if both can make big bucks as independent brands, why would merging them make more money?

Obviously, it would make less money if there's any difference at all, so nobody is going to be motivated to do it. And why would Disney and Paramount even stop for one millisecond to consider such a thing? They're two rival companies. Corporations do work together, but only when there are big bucks as a motiation and that is hardly the case here.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a chance in hell.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The only case I can think of where a feature film crossed over characters or franchises belonging to two or more different studios was Who Framed Roger Rabbit? -- and it took a lot of effort to get studios like Warner Bros. and Turner Entertainment to agree to share their properties. Oh, and also there was Toy Story 2/3 using Barbie and Ken, something Mattel wouldn't agree to until after the first film was a huge hit. And Wreck-It Ralph has done something similar with video game characters, although they're just cameos.

Of course, in all those cases, it was Disney's clout and wealth that was able to get it done, so if anyone could make it happen with rival space-opera franchises, it would be Disney.

There is the case of Freddy vs. Jason, a crossover of New Line's Nightmare on Elm Street franchise and Paramount's Friday the 13th franchise. But that didn't happen until Paramount lost the rights to Jason and New Line acquired them. So that doesn't count as a real inter-studio crossover.

8. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OK, this thread quickly went down the rabbit-hole of discussion about companies and business and capitalism in the real world.

Sorry about that. I do understand the unlikeliness of a merger or cross-over happening.
    I was more interested in peoples thoughts about what such a merger might look like (regardless of how unlikely). Guess I should have named the thread better.

My initial guesses were mostly negative, thinking the merger would mess up some of the unique thinks the different franchises focus on.

But a good point was made that it's really all about the characters. It would be interesting to see certain characters intereact.

Kira and Leia
    Spock and Yoda
    Data and R2D2 / C3PO
    Worf vs Darth Vader

etc

Anyone else interested in certain pairings, no matter how unlikely it is that they will ever happen?

9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i definitely wouldn't want a SERIOUS crossover...but if they had a fun "what if" type of short..whether shown at the end of a movie, or on the web...i think it'd be fun to watch, and great oporunity to promote something serious (and get more hype for the movie).

Also, maybe film a few fun scenes with actors doing the other franchise (like Kirk or Sulu swinging a light saber & Spock using the force)...

or in the OFFICIAL movie, seeing ships form the other franichise in the background (heck, they can even preview ships for the next movie in the current one). They can then release a statement: "There is no official canon explanation or designation for this ship"

Fun cross promotion could only help both...

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahem:

[​IMG]

But, seriously... no. Just no. :vulcan: ;)

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

^ As Kirk violates the Prime Directive yet again . . . .

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

a star wars/avengers crossover is more likely/would be more interesting

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a diehard fan of both franchises since the 70's, I have zero interest in any crossover, much less a "merger."

Ain't gonna happen anyway. There's no artistic or commercial reason for it.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A merger, with the franchises having a permanent effect on each other? Not at all interested, but a one off non-canon crossover comic book or novel where all of the toys are back in respective boxes at the end could be fun.

15. Greg Cox

I can see that, as a one-off novelty like "Star Trek meets Legion of Super-Heroes" or "Vampirella vs. Catwoman" or something.

Could be fun.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll second that. I was thinking like Superman vs. Spider-Man, which dates me I guess. :lol:

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

We could have Spock with a Jedi robe wielding the force. Scotty and Keenser replacing Lando and Nien Nunb in the Falcon after rebuilding it after some battle. McCoy can rewire a photon torpedo to seek out the Death Star's exhaust port.

Lots of possibilities.

18. Greg Cox

Hey, I still remember the very moment I first saw an ad for Superman vs. Spider-Man. My teenage jaw hit the floor. It was like stumbling onto Bigfoot or a UFO without warning.

"Ohmigod! Is this for real?"

Crossovers are a bit less mind-boggling these days, but I can't resist checking them out sometimes. (I particularly liked "Zorro vs. Dracula" several years back.)

19. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Only if it was an one-off comic book version - it could work. On screen - not a chance.

20. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good ones, Mr. Adventure