A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Aunt and nephew. :rommie:

2. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Well the Targaryens like to keep it in the family don't they? :D

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A new full length trailer for season 3 has been released.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XSeW4B5Rg[/yt]

4. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. superdeluxe

Heh. Richard Madden said he couldn't talk about the plot, otherwise HBO would kill him.

Oh he brings the funny.

6. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Two new short scenes (or clips from scenes) from the first season 3 episode have been made public on youtube:

Clip 1 - Dany and her dragons (showing the larger dragons this year)
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RWyeCEQmAG0[/yt]

A close-op of Drogon... They certainly keep improving the effects: (click for higher resolution)
    [​IMG]

Clip 2 - Tyrion and Cersei:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9psdmBgjwU0[/yt]

7. superdeluxe

8. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Another TV spot - the most epic yet, probably. Lots of dragons...
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQTNi74GdmM[/yt]

9. superdeluxe

A sort of mixed review from Myles McNutt:

http://cultural-learnings.com/2013/03/25/review-game-of-thrones-season-3/

10. superdeluxe

11. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

12. superdeluxe

Another review that speaks to how there are many stories/characters, but if you go all in you will be rewarded (minor spoilers):

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertai...iew-game-thrones-gets-even-more-brutal-season

13. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

So, no music for Mance, or did I miss it? Will Mance's future mission be altered as well?

No Strong Belwas, but that was really just to keep Barristan hidden. I was wondering if they would just come out with him. Makes you wonder if and how he gets a trip through the sewers or if someone else just goes alone.

Is anybody else going to skinchange? Any talking crows? Talking crows pays off later with the 3 -eyed-crow and weirwood. Children of the forest? Suppose no crannogmen on the horizon, with Bran having the green-dreams.

I didn't like Jon's purported reason for switching sides. Thought the book's version was better. Probably could do it later in a talk with Mance.

Nice giants. Any mammoths coming?

Liked Tywin's speech to Tirion, good setup to the bathroom scene.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ We should see some more skin changing when
    Arya gets to Braavos and links up with the House of Black & White.

Talking crows should start making appearances soon, but I don't think we'll be seeing any Children of the Forrest at all this season. IIRC,
    Bran didn't actually run into them until Cold Hands brought him to their underground lair in ADwD.

15. Tyberius

If no crannogmen then nobody to explain the Children of the Forest, except Osha? Maybe it'd work, but then you could probably cut them entirely. Just work with green dreams and Osha's explanation
    to get them to cold hands and the cave
    . Tough to say though, considering the unwritten portions.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Yep, I think they're going to try to be very careful how much of that future information from the later books they're going to put into the series for fear that it might coincide too closely with Winds of Winter. They're already moving Theon's/Reek's story up much sooner than originally established in the books. I suspect they have been working very closely with Martin to make sure their efforts don't collide with his. Probably one of the myriad reasons why it's taking so long for him to get the next book out the door.

17. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

According to a Comic-Con panel last summer both Meera and Jojen Reed have been cast and will feature in season 3. Frankly I'm glad they're not being written out.

http://io9.com/5925957/game-of-thrones-reveals-new-cast-members-for-season-3

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The ratings are in: the third season premiere drew 4.4 million viewers for its first screening and a combined 6.7 million viewers after its first two repeats. That's the highest audience the show has drawn to date, the previous high point being 4.2 million viewers for the first airing of the second season finale. The first airing of the second season premiere drew 3.858 million viewers.

An official greenlight for the fourth season should be forthcoming very soon.

19. Tyberius

Huh, I thought they were out because of Bran having the greendream of Winterfell being covered by the sea. Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Thoros of Myr? Why wait until now? Why not introduce him at the Hands games? Hope for the Grey Lady at least, thought that story-line was cut entirely.

Selyse? Thought they'd just abandoned her for more Melisandre screen time.

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Because casting an actor for a minor role in one episode and then not having him appear again until two years later isn't really a practical way of doing things. It's the same reason the featured extra who played Beric in season one wasn't brought back for season three.