Manti Te'o Makes Up Dead Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Starbreaker, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

This is the part that is going to need to be explained. On the one hand, he never actually was quoted by Sports Illustrated as saying he had met her; that could have been an embelleshment/assumption by Sports Illustrated. For example, he says "I was contacted by her on twitter after the Stanford game, she saw me from the crowd", but SI writes "It was on a cold day in August outside the stadium that they met for the first time."

There's also the quotes from the father about meeting the girl in Hawaii.

In the end, it could all come down to embarrassment that he had never met his "girlfriend" in real life, something which unfortunately isn't uncommon in this day and age. Online dating is very huge. A successful football player might not want to give interviews proclaiming he's been engaged in a long term relationship with someone he'd never met. So he tells a fib.

The whole situation is bizarre, though, and was blown way out of proportion by the media who failed to fact check in the first place.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Now Deadspin has a post with comments from anonymous players that say they were extremely skeptical and that he was involved with girls on campus during his tenure. This is going to get nasty.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It won't affect it negatively at all if he can throw/catch a football. The NFL is full of drunk drivers, domestic batterers, dog killers, potential rapists, etc. If Te'o is skilled enough at his position, he'll get a generous offer. A few people will look sideways at him, but it won't matter if he can play.

5. Use of Time

6. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just missing the point, but this feels like a total TNZ-ificiation of the entire news media. Everyone is blowing this whole thing out of proportion and I'm not sure why. I guess when it comes to Nortre Dame and soap opera drama, it has to be top billing.

8. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

9. tighr

It's because the media is one of the ones who got trolled here, so they think this is super important big news, and want to now share it with us.

It's kind of like when a little kid tries to tell you about what someone did on the playground at school, and you just don't give a shit. But to them, its the most important thing in the world because they were there and it involved them.

10. tighr

Top comment on a recent Yahoo Sports article:

11. tomalak301

So I'm not in the wrong wondering why exactly this is a big deal? That's assuring. It's just with all the other sports going on (NBA, NFL Championship week, the start of the NHL Season finally), Lance Armstrong and Manti T'ao are the two biggest stories of the week and both stories are, as I called it before, the TNZ dumbassification of the sports media. It's really weeks like this where I wonder why I like sports, or just sports talk, for that matter. I don't think I will ever "get it".

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i think making up a dead girlfriend isn't as newsworthy as being a massive drugs cheat thats made millions over the years and contributed to the destruction of a sports credibility.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

This will almost certainly do a major knock on his draft position, however (and it was already on the decline after he shit the bed in the BCS title game). Teams will be wary of Te'o, now, because there is one of two things wrong with him, and it isn't something that they'll want to deal with: A) If he really was duped by a hoax, then he is one of the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet. B) If he set up this elaborate hoax, he is a brazen sociopath. I think this episode easily slipped him into the second round.

14. tomalak301

But that's my point though. The whole Armstrong thing, not to mention how long it's dragged out has been wiped out of the news consciousness because a story about a Norte Dame's star player's girlfriend has completely taken over. I think it's just ridiculous how much this story has gotten covered.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. Use of Time

Yeah, but the thing with the Lance Armstrong story is that most people have pretty much known or suspected for years now. I could give a shit if he sits on the couch and admits it to Oprah. It's just not that interesting. All that does is confirm what most people probably knew.

This Manti story, albeit on a much smaller scale is one of the most batshit crazy stories I have ever heard in sports. Its also interesting to see mainstream media with egg on their face when the little engine that could (Deadspin) broke this story with what seemed like rudimentary fact finding. There is actually something of a mystery to this story that actually makes it interesting.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

shouldn't that be 'i couldn't give a shit' not 'i could give a shit'

because 'i could give a shit' implies you might on some level give a shit. unless it was a typo and i really concentrated on the wrong part of that post.

17. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

He'll get signed and play but his chances at big money endorsement deals or life on tv after football just rightfully took a photon torpedo to the side.

18. Use of Time

Thanks?

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

At this point, it's a legitimate phrase. Some argue it owes its origin to Yiddish sarcastic phrases like "I should be so lucky." I would suggest not thinking logically.

20. Use of Time

I regret ever using that phrase right now.