Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Like Q's net in Encounter at Farpoint?

I never actually noticed just HOW big the difference was until I saw the side-by-side at the DrexFiles.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Sorry Babylon 5 was never more popular than DS9. It never came remotely near to even its worst ratings.

RAMA

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

4. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow @ Anyone claiming B5 was more popular than DS9.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Perhaps the poster is trying to say more popular among SF enthusiasts, which would be evidenced by how B5 cleaned up at the Hugos most years.

6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That TREKBUFF guy over there really knows his shit. Any way we can get him to play on this field, or do you think he got chased away from here already by a posse of eyeball eating gushers?

8. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I haven't posted there in forever, can't believe they have the same format after all those years.

9. Bertie

Bertie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Frankly, I've long been sick of analog nostalgia. You know, "models are better than CGI", "vinyl LPs are better than digital", all of it. Maybe these things were true once upon a time. I don't care — they aren't true now.

And if you don't agree, well, its not like your existing 480-interlaced disks are going anywhere. For the rest (as the Modernists liked to say) "Make it New".

10. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yep..I totally agree. I am from that time, I grew up in the late 60s and 70s. I have a bose sound-system in my car, and it plays both CDS and flashdrives. Anyone who thinks the sound of vinly records, and those old stereo systems, can compare to a Bose, or other modern systems, is just having a coke-induced memory..I know..I've had them!

Rob

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It ain't nostalgia, but it IS your loss if you can't tell the dif.

Me, I can't tell with audio, but I sure as shit can tell with visuals. New tech ain't necessarily better tech ... it is often just easier, cheaper or faster to make and market.

Oh, and you left out, 'physical is better than virtual' ... that's another bit you can rail against, and I'll quite happily enjoy handcrafted models and sex with organic women over whatever it is that is coughed up as the trendy replacement of the week.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Vinyl is better than digital. It has nothing to do with nostalgia.

13. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. It's just that most people can't hear (or see, in the case of video) the difference. I had a discussion w/ another soccer parent recently about vinyl vs. CD, and she was agog when I said that vinyl sounds better than CD. She literally just stood there with her mouth open - couldn't possibly understand the idea.

Doug

14. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, it was. Was also more respected in SciFi circles, which is one reason why Harlan Ellison was a consultant on every episode.

B5's popularity is the sole reason you got the Dominion War in DS9. Berman wanted to turn DS9 into a serial with a big war to copy B5's five-year Shadow War story arc.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Gotta disagree there. I think Berman was opposed to every aspect of serialization outside of cliffhangers. I think the retake the station part of ds9 was supposed to run for a helluva lot longer than the half dozen shows it does, but the creatives couldn't get approval to go further.

16. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They didn't even start the serial nature of the show until the fourth season or so, which is long after B5 was starting to put a hurt on DS9.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Dude, I'm going to commit sacrilege and admit that I much prefer Babylon 5 to DS9 (collective gasp!), but B5 was never during any season more popular than DS9. It wasn't even close. DS9 was right up there in the ratings in the top five syndicated series or just below for most of its run. B5 never cracked the top ten any time that I paid attention to its rating. And trust me, I did pay attantion. It doesn't mean it wasn't a great show, but the numbers didn't even come close to DS9. Ever.

Of course, B5 had to make it on its own without the built-in audience a Star Trek name being attached to it would get.

EDIT:

Just did a quick google for B5 ratings, and found this listing of top action shows, posted January 1997:
    Here are the SF ratings for the 1996/1997 TV season:
    EDIT2: Checked two random 1996 episodes' rankings. One came in 22nd place for the week, the other 25th place for the week. DS9 was regularly in the top ten. I'd further compare the ranking to DS9's ranking for the same week, but my eyes are tired and I'm going to bed now. :) Suffice it to say, DS9's ratings were always better than B5's.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  18. Gary Sebben

Gary Sebben Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think this is a bad analogy. A CD is not trying to synthesis sound from scratch that sounds like real sound. A model has weight. The light hits it just right. Its a real object. A CG model is and it render engine is trying to simulate that real thing. Yes, the CG is more flexible, but it is also a less than accurate representation of the model.

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

In terms of overall TV viewers B5 was never more popular than DS9, it wasn't even close (DS9 ratings were around double that of B5). DS9 was always in the top 3 among 1 hour syndicated shows (including 3 seasons as #1) while B5 more or less dropped out of the rating charts after the first few episodes of its second season. And serialization of a syndicated series is not helpful in that regard as it turns off casual viewers, and both shows had their best ratings in their earlier seasons. As for popularity among hard core sci-fi viewers, I guess that's up for debate. B5 was clearly more popular among Hugo voters.

Berman was very much against serialization of DS9. He wanted them to end the Dominion war after a few episodes, the writers had to battle with him to keep it going.

The debate about Vinyl vs CD or CGi vs models is interesting. But I don't care if they use models or CGI, as long as they create an HD version of the TNG I'll be happy.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

But the whole point of CG is being able to do things which are impossible with a model, or would take so much time and money with one that they are unpractical.

While I LOVE Physical models, and am not opposed their use in any way shape or form, they are overall harder to do than CGI and more time consuming. I can knock together a good enough spaceship mesh in a day or two and be animating it by the weekend. I highly doubt a model animator could say the same thing and achieve the same results.