The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Hehe... 'kern'

Anyway, yeah, you're right. But if the goal was to match the original title style, the quotes were much smaller back then.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Received my disc today - FINALLY! Just watched EAFP - and - it looks bloody fantastic! I was grinning from ear to ear throughout - bathed in a wonderful glow of pure nostalgia. My only slight disappointment/criticism would be the relatively high incidence of minor print damage, manifesting as brief white speckles.

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I'm absolutely with you on this one. The quotation marks they're using are ugly as hell. Don't they have anyone with at least some typographic knowledge amoung their team?

4. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Sins of the Father :klingon:

Another great episode and a nice choice for the sampler. Fun to see the evolution of the sets and uniforms and especially the look and characterization of Lt. Worf. This really is a stand-out story and the production of the episode is excellent. From our first real look at the Klingon homeworld to the dark, low-key, high contrast cinematography (even on the Enterprise in scenes featuring Kurn)

Ok, some random notes:
    --Really enjoyed seeing the S3 titles in HD. Used to think of them as kinda meh, but now appreciate them at least as much as S1/2
    --I already ranted on the quotation marks in a post above so I'll let that one go for now
    --The scrolling stars behind the ships in the opening shot pretty well duplicate the original shot, but they may be drifting a little quicker than before. Only off-putting because I suppose we expect something else to be in motion in such a finely rendered shot.
    --As Riker and Picard walk to the Transporter Room (very nice long tracking shot worthy of Aaron Sorkin) a crewmember passes by carrying a blue pad. The color just pops! Everything, the lighting, the uniforms, the whole look of the Enterprise is very lush and vibrant
    -- The Transporter effect looks more like the original SD than the brighter look of EaF. This holds true for when they beam to the council chamber later in the Ep as well.
    --Scuffs on the Transporter Room door are clearly visible
    --The costumes, especially the Klingons, look excellent throughout
    -- Kurn's hair, on the other hand, looks rather weak esp compared to Worf's
    --"I will try some of your burned replicated bird meat" Excellent!!
    --Is that Romulan Ale on the dinner table? Not what I would serve a Klingon guest...
    --Looks to be black and white push-button salt and pepper shakers, reminiscent of the metallic variety adapted for use as a hypo spray for Trek 09
    --A nice touch during the convo between Kurn/Worf in Ten Forward: the stars streaking by at warp out the window are now properly out of focus given the depth of field
    --A paper note is handed to Kurn on the homeworld, not some kind of Klingon Padd
    --The 13 seconds... noticeable, but not the end of the world. Mercifully short and swept along by the story. Color balance does mesh very well with the rest of the ep as has been noted elsewhere. They really do seem to be going out of their way to announce it though.
    --About the disk presentation itself. Love the presence of the Play All button although I haven't used it yet. Curious about there being no chapter menu. There are clearly chapters but I haven't found even a pop-up menu listing the chapter titles or granting random access.
    --Also about the disk: You have to choose the language every time you load the disk? Really? One let down consistent between Paramount and CBS is that the blu ray does not remember where it left off after ejecting and that the intro trailers must be skipped one by one and the intro animation is not skippable. Never liked the amount of time it takes to reload Trek blu rays or DVDs. Makes it a pain to do quick comparisons and especially to watch TOS in production order. Oh well, rant for the day over, they still look AMAZING!!

2 down, 1 to go!!! :techman::techman:

5. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It gets worse when you look at the end credits. Lots of gaps within words. It's like they are using some cheap freeware version of Crillee that doesn't have proper quotes or kerning pairs.

As a side note, I did check the original DVDs to see if they used proper quotes back then, but the SD resolution is so low the quotes are just pixelated blobs.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely loved that shot in Sins of the Enterprise coming out of warp, with the rainbow streaks twisting around it.

I know it was used a lot in later seasons, but don't remember it this early, or with this particular shot of the ship.

7. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

That is very nice :techman:

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Genuinely a huge nostalgia factor here, but how often do you go back to old stuff and its THIS much improved?

RAMA

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I bought the disc last Tuesday, but I still haven't had time to sit down and watch "Inner Light..."

10. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

The Inner Light

Watched this episode today. This completes the HD sampler, and concludes a hugely satisfying viewing experience :techman:

The grain here is more evident than in the prior two episodes, more-so during the planet sequences than on board the Enterprise. Noticeable, but not enough to detract from the overall improvement.

Notes:
    --The CGI Enterprise... sigh... not as disappointing to me as some shots of the TOS Enterprise in TOS-R, but not at all up to the standards of the re-composited model work seen so far. Hopefully this will be used sparingly or improved upon.
    --The fade in to the first act looks very odd. Hard to describe, but the fade is not smooth, it moves in waves of luminance. I'll check another player. Has anyone else noticed an oddity here?
    --I'm really not crazy about the heavy technobabble when the probe is first encountered
    --OK enough little complaints. The set design, especially the intricate doors of the city, are very impressive and contain great detail to look at :techman:
    --What is it about conventional looking doors all being automated in all cultures on Star Trek? This applies to the Bandi from Farpoint as well. Just curious. (Remembers the 'primitive' culture from Errand of Mercy also having automatic doors. Should've tipped off Kirk and Spock a bit sooner)
    --Noticed some small figures populating the matte of the town seen as Kamin returns from the hills (upon checking the DVD, figures were always there!! Never noticed by me in SD)
    --Bridge scenes seem to be shot with more 'glamorous' edge-lighting, especially on Riker's hair :guffaw:
    --Ahhh, the hefty 4-foot model makes its first appearance

Leaving aside some of the little nit-picks, I greatly enjoyed watching this episode. It is considered by many one of TNG's finest hours, especially for Picard, but also labeled by some "over-rated." I appreciate this episode very much, but it is not one I have re-watched that often, so while the basic story was familiar to me, I had forgotten many of the specifics. I was truly moved at the end of the story and think this is an excellent episode and a worthy (if bittersweet) conclusion to the sampler. I'll be interested to see if the increased grain is evident on more episodes from S5. Perhaps there was a change in film stock for the show as a whole, or for the city exteriors in particular. I'll leave with a quote from Kamin:

"Seize the time. Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again."

A very similar sentiment is repeated by Picard in Generations, but I find the phrasing and circumstances more satisfying as presented here.

Overall, very well done, CBS. Now bring on the Season Sets!! :techman:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  11. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Quoted for truth. The level of quality must be seen to be believed and fully understood. Watching the DVD back-to-back only reinforces the huge leap in quality here.

12. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the forum software only allows for one poll per thread.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Watching I,Borg now...almost no music and no action...bottle show...but wow is this dramatic. This is what ST is all about.

14. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

How'd you get I, Borg on blu ray?!? :devil:

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Doing some more DVD-Bluray picture comparisons, but I'll probably stop watching them till the next bluray. In particular the 3rd season+ credit sequence looks much more detailed on the bluray.

RAMA

16. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ The Third Season credit sequence looked immense. The depth of field between the starfield the camera flies through and that nebula in the distance really stood out. As somebody else remarked upthread - the transition behind the rings of that planet is now more obvious but thats a minor point.

A wonderful, wonderful taster disc all around. There were points in EoF where I had to rewind the disc to look over the bits of detail again.

BTW, anyone notice a trim when Riker beams into the Enterprise for the first time?? As he walks off the pad into the coridoor, it might just be my eye - but I always thought the woman who was stood-behind-the-door-waiting-for-them-to-pop-open-so-she-can-walk-past (this happens a lot throughout TNG, count how many people walk past doors when they open) looked really out of place in the original. She takes a bit of a mis-step as Riker walks out before carrying on.

Looked like it had been trimmed to me to look less obvious.

Anyone else notice that?

17. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Edit: idiotic post.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:lol:Never saw this one before.

19. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can respect your opinion I guess, but Kirk's death was totally unnecessary and reeked of a desire to "kill" TOS in the minds of the viewers. Except that he's the most legendary character in the entire franchise IMO. You can't kill off a character so engrained within it. Everything was forgivable to me (even the Enterprise's destruction) except his death.
    As for Nemesis, well the whole thing was like killing Kirk 10 times in a row.
    I finally sat down to watch this episode, and I have to agree with you. It's only the planet scenes that are grainy. However, it is very heavy grain. I'm wondering if this is due to damage of the original negatives?

20. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, I just didn't have a problem with it because Kirk was dead in the TNG timeframe already anyway, or I presumed him to be. I had no reason to think Kirk was immortal. So I never took it as "they killed him" and more as "they simply showed how he died", which I found interesting and gripping.

Now, there are also many people who are deeply unhappy with how he died in the movie, calling it an anti-climactic death, badly written, and so on. But I've never felt that, either. I thought Shatner and Stewart had good chemistry in Generations, and in their scenes together both characters were treated well and had compelling points made about them. In context of that, Kirk's moment of death, as well as his attitude and last words at the threshold, felt appropriate to me. As for the specific circumstances that lead to his death, the fight scene - well, I don't think just because the character is grand he has to die with a grand gesture. At some point you're going to get unlucky and lose a fight, even a small one. Kirk knew that, he faced it every day, and he never would consider himself above a brawl like that if it had to be done. It's all in a day's work.

I don't feel like Kirk dying in a mixed TOS/TNG movie was diminishing TOS, either. Instead: How appropriate for Kirk to die in the company of another Captain of the Enterprise. Who else could be there who could truely understand him?

Finally, I also never felt cheated out of "more Kirk" due to firmly establishing the time and place of his death. Star Trek is nothing if not malleable, there's always a way to yank a character out of his timeline and tell another story, or set a story in the past. The novels have done and continue to do it. Plenty of Kirk to go around.

Generations has numerous flaws. Some are structural, some are pacing, and it also handled a number of its characters pretty poorly. I actually think Kirk is one character it got right, though, including his death.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012