Hon, make me a sandwich

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alidar Jarok, Sep 26, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I feel like pastrami which I have only eaten once. Another thing not common in Australia and while you can find it at deli counters (or something that purports to be it, I'm no expert) you will not find it commonly in sandwiches. Before anyone corrects me yes I am sure there are some Super NY Style Sandwich Shops that make a point of having it because that's the point of the store, but it is not a normal thing served in cafes.

And yes, you are undead MLB. Tis the season :lol:

I'm going to try and make my sandwich mentioned upthread today, but I doubt I will be able to find rye with caraway at the local shops.

2. teacake

I am now eating this sandwich.

Rye with caraway YAY. Jarlsberg. Dijon. Baby cos lettuce and roast beef slices (no pastrami to be found).

[​IMG]

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

sure, if that's ok with you as the thread starter :)

I am not sure if this would count as a sandwich: I love dark rye bread baked with lots of spices (anise, caraway, coriander and fennel), with lettuce, radishes, cress, a slice of ham and a slice of emmental cheese. My favourite travel lunch - it's juicy and keeps fresh for several hours.

4. teacake

I love just that kind of thing Rhub. I adore radishes. I'd leave the ham out most times, but an open dark rye with cheese and radishes... :adore:

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to try rye bread just for the sake of trying something you always see somebody ordering a sandwhich with in the movies and on TV.

6. teacake

You can't buy rye bread where you are? Hint: look for Jews.

7. Haggis and tatties

Well i saw some rye bread in Aldi the other day, but it was very very brown, looked like a malt loaf, i think it was German rye bread, i might give it a go, but i like the look of your white rye bread, look very scrummy and fresh.:drool:

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sure, I think the original thread has outlived its usefulness.

Sure it's a sandwich. It's bread with filling in between, which is good enough.

9. teacake

Was it very dense, moist and square and black? If it's what I'm thinking of (name escapes me) it won't be like the bread people eat sandwiches with but rye does come in as many varieties as wheat. If you do find a lighter one you'll find it makes lovely toast with butter.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorite sandwich: kebab. It has everything. Some think it's not a sandwich, but by definition it actually is.

11. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Favorite summertime sandwich: sliced cucumber, tomato, and cheddar on lightly toasted, dense white bread. A little mayo.

Favorite fall/winter sandwich: thick slices of roasted turkey, mayo, cranberry sauce on oatmeal bread.

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Next time I come to GB I'll bring you some Bavarian sour-dough rye bread with spices :) The traditional stuff.

13. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope he does -there's no knowing what might be in the 301'st if he forgot!

14. Haggis and tatties

I can see customs now....

Customs officer "Ok, one more time, you said you brought this bread into the country for somebody you spoke to on the internet, is that correct?"

Rhubarbodendron "Yes"

CO " And where on the "internet" did you meet this bread enthusiast if i may ask"

RH " On a Star Trek site"

CO " Oh, On A STAR TREK site, how very convenient, i suppose the fact that you are breaking the law by smuggling bread into the UK never crossed your mind then did it?"

RH " Well no, it's not like it's illegal to bring bread into the UK"

CO " It's NOT!, oh, well welcome to the UK and have a nice day.....but i will be watching you matey". :lol:

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Although I've had sandwiches with all the works*, my favorite is just salami, hot pepper cheese, and mustard on white bread. I think it's just because I grew up eating those sandwiches the most as a kid and they've just become comfort food for me.

*I've had Dagwood sandwiches so big that I actually popped my jaw during the first bite...
    :hugegrin:
    http://www.mediatinker.com/blog/images/dagwood.jpg

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure if he popped into his nearest large food superstore he would be able to find, the smaller conveniance stores somewhat less likely.