Dumb blog in defense of texting while driving

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Argus Skyhawk, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Yesterday I came across this fascinatingly wrongheaded blog in defense of texting while driving, and I just thought I would share.

In response to this blog, I would say: Driving is for grown-ups. If you are not grown up enough to stop texting for half an hour, you are not grown up enough to drive. It is an action that requires personal responsibility, and personal responsibility is not too much to ask of someone who wants a driver's license.

2. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Hopefully when that idiot wraps their car around a telephone poll they don't take anyone else with them.

Surprised the blog wasn't titled 'yolo'. :rolleyes:

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    If it's his real name, I hope his name flags a permanent ban from getting a license due to being too stupid to possess one.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the part where one commenter congratulated him for having the balls to say what he did. Since when did you need balls to say stupid stuff? It seems to me that morons are some of the most outspoken people.

I went ahead and said as much.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know I'm fairly sure cars come with things called brakes and indicators for you to pull over and stop if you really really must see what that text is all about. However did we manage in the days before mobile phones.

Why should we need to encourage people to keep their phone out of sight for the drive, shouldn't this be automatic when you get behind the wheel?

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've said this before, but I never figured there would come a day when we would be spending large amounts of money telling people to look up while they're driving.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I was under the impression the blogger was a woman. Isn't Alexis usually a girl's name?

At any rate, I can't believe this . . . uh, person has the chutzpah to write: "We are past the point of no return on this one. There is no point in saying 'you can’t look at your phone for 30 minutes,' because that is just impossible for some people to do."

I mean, WTF? If you're old enough to get a driver's license, you should be mature enough to stay away from the phone for half an hour -- or even several hours, God forbid. What did people do in the Dark Ages of personal communication (pre-1980s) when texting and cellphones didn't exist and car phones were only for the rich?

8. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The world does not move so fast that being out-of-reach for a few minutes will lead to the end of the world, a job, or even just a friendship. If someone needs to be in constant contact during commuting, they should be using public transportation, not driving themselves around.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know I could happily leave my mobile phone for days without touching it and generally do.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't matter either way. Gender has nothing to do with idiocy.

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like how the blogger thinks that apps that make phones hands free is some amazing new concept they just came up with.

12. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Paragraph 2: "We are rational beings..."

Paragraph 4: "...texting and driving is inevitable."

Huh? If we're rational, texting while driving is totally avoidable.

Aside from all the other problems with the article! :lol:

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think enforcement and penalties really need to be stepped up on this one. I can't drive 2 blocks around here without running into someone with face glued to phone and absolutely no awareness of what's going on around them while driving.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the article writer had to do what I did last week, which was be a Scoutmaster at a summer camp with no cell service whatsoever, they'd probably be going into withdrawal by the second day! :lol:

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

There is a logical fallacy in every paragraph.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As long as that? :p

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Beat me to it! I was going to suggest two hours, max. :lol:

18. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I would think 30 minutes, since that's the author's "magic number" in the article.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Guess what it's been more than 30 mins since I last chekced my mobile phone, and I don't feel any pressing need to check it.

20. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

One commenter who was on the author's side did the whole "I bet not one of you guys complaining about this blog has never texted while driving."

Guess what? I drive nearly every day. At my old job I drove 30 minutes to and from work, Monday through Friday. Not once did I ever look down at my phone and answer a text. I've never gotten a text from somebody that was an emergency so I never felt the need to answer one.

Once when I was riding with my brother in his car, he answered a text while we were on the highway. I gave him shit about it and his defense was that he was a good driver. Well whoopdeedoo!! I'm sure everybody thinks they're a good driver until they finally get into an accident.