My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

But really Take me out, whatever other opinions may be had of it, wasn't an odd man out... it was after at the conclusion of the Prophet Tears trilogy of episodes. Sure it was during the Dominion War, but that had been going on since season 5 and by that time the front had shifted pretty far from DS9 itself.

If you took Children of Time(since it's pertinent) and put that in the between Tacking into the Wind and Extreme Measures, that would feel out of place too and be just a distraction.

2. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I like all three episodes, so I'll just move on. :)
    --------------------------------------------

Zero Hour
    [​IMG]

This was a nice episode with a good bit of action. I liked T'Pol and Trip's scenes together. And I'm sure Shran liked having the upper-hand in the debt department. And of course it couldn't be a nice, pretty, ending. Well, time for season 4 I guess. ;)
    Now there's another species to figure out.

Grade: B

3. R. Star

Nice pretty ending? They finally put together a plot arc that's exciting and engaging and it's like they had a meeting to discuss how they could screw that up in the most facepalming way. Thus we get Alien Nazi's.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Onward to Season 4

Storm Front
    [​IMG]

How did they treat Archer's burns so well, I wonder. I don't know. WW2 is not really where I was interested in this story going after the war to save Earth and eliminate the Expanse, but this might work out well.

Here's something I don't like. T'Pol is the acting captain, and Trip has never fully respected her position as such whenever she has taken Archer's place. There is no way he would have spoken to Archer (who's captaining skills are not at all better than T'Pol's, and in some cases worse) in such a manner in front of the rest of the crew. I personally think she's let him slide for far too long with this behavior, and this should have been addressed, dealt with, and put to rest sometime in season 1, early season 2 at the very latest. His lack of deference is appalling, and I'm glad he realized that and apologized.

The Suliban are back. And Daniels looks like he got his behind handed to him. I wonder if the bio-weapon that gets rid of non-aryans was the inspiration for a Fringe episode that dealt with the same thing. I could be a coincidence, though. With these back in time episodes, it's interesting that they (Star Trek and other sci-fi) almost always return to somewhere around the first half of the 20th century. Time loops, paradoxes, etc., must really like that semi-century or times very close to it. I don't understand it. This was an interesting look at a twist in that time, though.

I will also say that I don't know why they sent Travis with Trip. They had to know that a Nazi ruled, already very racially prejudiced and unequal, America in the 1940's wasn't the best place for the black guy to go if they could help it, and they could help it. I would have sent Malcolm or someone from Hayes' team with Trip, but this is sci-fi.

Grade: D minus
    ----------------

Storm Front Part II
    [​IMG]

The Nazi Alien, Vosk, brings up an interesting point in a round about way. He said that the temporal agents have their own agenda when Archer accuses him of having his own selfish agenda. How do you know which timeline is right? My answer would have been the one where no one from a different time contaminates or influences another time. But, as we saw with Daniels when he tried to convince Archer not to be the one to destroy the weapon, that was an attempted interference.

So, if the temporal agents are willing to interfere with a timeline to get a desired result, then how can you tell which timeline is right, the one you experienced? What if they (or someone else) influenced that one? :confused: Interesting.

Grade: C plus

5. Spock/Uhura Fan

Well said. :techman:

I thought maybe I might be the only one that felt this way. What a downer.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

I tend to skip Storm Front on repeat viewings. It's not that they're completely unwatchable but I prefer to go from Zero Hour to Home, prob for same reasons as you and ZR.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Manny Coto took over as Show Runner for S4, and wanted to dump all the Temporal Cold stuff, so he flushed it all with Storm Front 1 and 2. The changes quite a bit in S4 now, becoming more of what most of us were expecting from S1 when we heard about Enterprise being a TOS Prequel. It's my hope you will very much enjoy almost all the rest of the episodes left. You'll have mostly 2 and 3 part arcs throughout S4

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Same here. I just like to pretend that everything after Archer blew up the Xindi weapon didn't happen. Like he was able to beam himself to safety or someone beamed him to safety, whatever. I'm normally pretty easy on B&B compared to a lot of folks around here, but I have no idea what they were thinking when they wrote that little "cliffhanger." They didn't have a guarantee of Season Four happening at the time, right?

9. R. Star

I dunno about season 4 possibly not happening, but a hanger that terrible seems the best way to make it happen. But I agree with the above sentiments... if I rewatch, I just pretend Storm Front didn't happen.... and Terra Prime is the finale. Season 4 had a lot going for it, but the pilot and finale as presented really were bad.

And that map in Storm Front really annoys me. I get it, you want evil Nazi's in the US! (Oh no!) But think about the strategic implications for JUST ONE SECOND. If the Nazi's and their handwaved invasion fleet are invading the US, they would have to attack Canada first to seize Halifax. The zoomed out version of the pic S/U fan posted shows Canada that apparently was at peace with Germany even those they were in the war before the US in reality. But we can't even have consistent BS here can we? :p

Home is a better episode and really brings a nice resolution/reflection to the Xindi arc, so you have something to look forward to! :)

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am the only person that loved Storm Front.

Oh well, more space nazis for me!

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Thank you for the well-wishing. I hope for the same. For a last season, I think 2-3 part arcs is interesting. You'd think they'd be trying to tie up arcs from the previous seasons, but I guess that's not possible since the only 2 arcs were the Xindi and the Temporal War. The next episode was nice, though
    ------

Home
    [​IMG]

Oh, this makes it hard. T'Pol's ex-fiancé but kind of still fiancé seems to be a nice guy, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I thought I wouldn't like him, but he seems likeable... It's too bad that xenophobia has caused Phlox, the guy that kept the crew that saved the world patched up and ticking, to be treated so badly at the bar. I'm glad Hoshi gave him a good talking to. He deserves to have just as much fun and freedom as anyone else. Looks like Archer needed a love connection. Good for him.

A Vulcan wedding ceremony! I was wondering a while back if one was ever filmed, and here it is, but then they cut it off before you can see it. :-/ Poor Trip. And poor T'Pol.

Grade: B minus
    ----------------

Borderland
    [​IMG]

It's Data! Well, not really, but it's the actor and that's good enough. :) Wow, these Orions aren't too friendly. It's so sad. That slaver guy picks T'Pol up and shows her around like she's a rag doll for auction.

I kind of feel bad for the Augments. They hijacked a Klingon ship, but in all honestly, this is something Klingons do, and they love battle. They seem to just be mad that they got beaten at their own game. What I don't like is how the doctor has half-raised them. They were made as "designer humans," imo, and he's made them believe that they are the future and that no one else matters. That's dangerous.

Grade: C plus

12. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I loved Arik Soong, great character played brilliantly by Spiner.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

"Storm Front" should have been super-entertaining in a hopelessly cheesy way. Instead, it was merely tolerable. The TCW ends as it started, making no damn sense at all.

As a 21st-century Trek fan, I found that plot dismally insulting in its pedantry, and the fact that it takes place in my hometown, which is noted for its enlightened ways, is especially gross.

Guess the other stuff is okay, though.

14. R. Star

I liked Home as it seemed to deal with the consequences not only of Archer's choices in the Xindi arc, but really the whole first three seasons. Soval almost looked like he was cured of Evil Vulcan Syndrome too for a second! Hernandez is a likeable character too. The Vulcan wedding ceremony was interesting. You'd think a species as civilized as Vulcans would be beyond arranged marriages, but guess not.

Borderlands was literally the episode that had me give Enterprise a second look, if years later. When it originally aired, I quit watching during season 2 out of frustration. Flipping through the channels and I see Brent Spiner! And he's the villain! Admittedly Borderlands is the weakest of the three Augment episodes, but it sets a lot of good back story for the next two. The whole Orion tangent really was filler material though and didn't have much to do with the rest of the story arc.

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

I agree. :)

I'm sorry that this was the case, but at least it didn't seem like the point was to say anything bad about the people in that specific area; it seemed that the point was to say that even though human ideals/teachings had evolved, human nature remained a tougher task in this instance with some.

Yeah, but we only got to see the beginning. We didn't get to see the whole thing. :(

My understanding of the arranged marriages is that it's a matter of what's logical with them. It's logical to have a mate and to find one in the most efficient manner. The most efficient manner to them seems to be based off of a compatibility that the families in question sort out, but the two people involved get the final say. T'Pol had to agree to the marriage in the end. It wasn't forced on her like in some cultures here. That's good.

One thing I do wonder about with the reboot movie is how did Vulcan get to have a population 6 billion people. It seems like they only mate every seven years, and not every time is going to lead to pregnancy. I guess it means they mate to have children specifically or something like that, but still, 6 billion... Interesting.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enlightened ways have a way of going out the window when something you identify as otherness blows the crap out of your planet.

17. R. Star

Well, less children would be a given, but there's something to keep in mind, Vulcans live incredibly long lives. So I could see them getting to and maintaining a population of 6 billion... though how they survived their primitive emotional time when they were killing each other regularly if they mated every seven years is beyond me.

As for the arranged marriage? I dunno. You have one side of the coin that says Vulcans can love, they just don't express it. The other side is they "suppress and purge" all emotion and act only on logic. They two really contradict each other at times. From a purely logical standpoint, taking emotion out of the equation, I suppose it makes sense to arrange marriages from birth. But the emotions DO work their way into it from what we've seen. So that flies in the face of all logic. But I like races full of contradictions. It's not like our own doesn't have it's share. :p

18. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

From what I understand mating every 7 years came as a result of purging their emotions so presumably when they were still primitive they mated as regularly as humans.

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

"Storm Front" was an okay episode. Unfortunately I found that "Home" went back to he old stories and was a real clunker, but then, it felt like the series got a major tune-up with the Soong trilogy and was really, at last, getting good episodes instead of a bunch of boring filler garbage.

20. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ We definitely have different tastes. I liked the idea of the TCW, but they didn't seem to do much with it. Storm Front 1&2 wasn't the best way to end it in this series, imo.
    ----------------

Cold Station 12
    [​IMG]

Well, liar, liar. The augment that killed his brother tells the doctor it was an accident. It's sad that the other augments left the "dud" behind. I don't like the lead augment; he's too power hungry and uncaring. I don't know if it's just me, but T'Pol looks a bit too thin and tired. I can see the bones in her face and bags under her eyes, and it doesn't look good. I hope the actress was okay at the time.

Grade: C
    ----------

The Augments
    [​IMG]

I think the doctor had better watch out because that lead Augment is just biding his time. I think he asked the doctor an ironic question: What right does he have to tamper with their genome? Well, that's what "augments" are, tampered with human genomes. To argue that he shouldn't do this is arguing against the lead augment's very existence. Interesting. I'm with Dr. Phlox that it's sad that the doctor's skills are perhaps too great to just be wasted away in a prison cell, but he is a threat so... And there it is. Betrayed by his own children. He should have seen it coming, but at least his daughter was there for him.

Archer was terribly unconvincing, and I think even a rather dull Klingon captain should have seen through him. Why didn't he want verification from Chancellor himself if discretion was needed? I guess I just never like it when Klingon captains are portrayed as so horribly stupid... And it ends with the genesis of Data, which is nice. His skills weren't wasted after all. :)

Grade: C