Am I the only one who loves SGU?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by samalex, Feb 24, 2012.

1. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Trying to take the rules and regulations that were designed to govern life on Icarus and apply them to Destiny is absurd. They may still apply to the military personnel, but the civilians? Of course not, how could they? They are no longer employees, they are refugees. They can ditch their job, and therefore their obligations to the military any time they like - which they did. To force them to take orders from the military, which Young did, is to set up a military dictatorship. What's worse - he was inept too. There were absolutely grounds for a revolution, it's only a shame he wasn't put in his place.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

He was put in his place, boths sides are needed for survival and by the end of the season they were all working together for their own survival, even Rush was agreeing with Young's decisions.Of course the alternate version of the crew got along just fine without Rush which is something to think about.

3. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

That's what Volker says as a jibe, but it wasn't true was it? They ended up dividing into two distinct factions again. One lead by Young, the other seemingly by Brody.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^But that was only because Brody became a cranky old man pissed that everyone's children were playing on his yard. Then when Young won the next election, Brody and some followers left and formed their own settlement.

I don't think the situation on Novus was a military vs civilian one as plenty of civilians stayed on Young's side, but rather just Brody getting pissed and swaying his friends to join him.

5. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Well whether it was military vs. civilian or not isn't really here nor there. The point was that they never got along fine without Rush, they split up again, and formed two distinct and opposing factions. One seemingly based around Rush being evil, the other around him being a saviour. I suppose you could still argue that he was the catalyst for division though...

6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

A mutiny is a mutiny, justified or not. And stranded on an alien ship you barely control dependent on technology you scarcely understand is about the worst possible circumstances to attempt a mutiny unless you are absolutely sure you have no other choice.

It might have been different if the series had spent more time portraying Rush as something other than self-important dooshbag (or if Young was stranding/executing people at random). Otherwise the entire "revolution for democracy!" angle came off as more of a clique war between the civilians and the soldiers, with the former faction having its priorities thoroughly ass backwards and the latter faction having no coherent priorities of any kind.

Decent premise, sloppy execution.
    Welcome to Stargate.

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was just really heavy handed authorial bias to generate artificial conflict. If you look at the show objectively, Rush is the single most competent and effective member of the Destiny crew. Hell, the only times things go wrong for him is when somebody does something stupid (Franklin using the chair five seconds after they decided to keep researching it, Amanda Perry not clearing the memory on that console she used), authorial fiat (the shuttle crashing in Awakening for no fucking reason), and Colonel Young is involved (getting caught framing Young due to the hidden Kinos, telling Young that he is a shitty commander to his face, getting stuck with Young on that Ursini ship).

8. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Young had been lurching the crew from one disaster to another, almost entirely down to the fact that he wouldn't listen to Rush, worse than that, he actually tried to murder the man, the one expert the crew had and despite his ulterior motives - the man they depended on most. They were in an extremely hostile environment, their lives in jeopardy on an almost daily basis, all the while being lead by an inept commander who had appointed himself dictator. A man that was in large part responsible for their constant state of peril. From their perspective, removing him could be the difference between life and death. Of course they were going to do something, especially after talking had failed and especially after Wray found out what he'd done to Rush.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the Stargate programme comes under the auspices of the IOA a civillian authority. So yes the civilians are in ultimate charge of the programme.

As for the Rush vs Young, in the earlier episodes it seemed as if Rush was making the more sound judgement calls rather than Young. Sure for the most part it turned out ok in the end for Young's decisions.

From memory the catalyst for the civilians deciding to take command was Young abandoning Rush on the Planet. After all one line of thought could be 'will I be the next one who Young abandons on a planet".

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Early on in the Series, when Young abandoned Rush, I was so over both characters, I wanted them to kill each other.

IMHO, that was one of the main problems with the first season, I disliked all the characters, and their constant petty disputes. Too much drama and conflict and nothing else but unlikeable characters. Thank Goodness they toned it down in the second season and allowed the characters to grow. Drama and conflict, is of course needed for a show, but, you need to balance that with something else, some story plot or something. But, S1 was nothing but conflict and drama for the sake of Drama and Conflict.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It was Rush who gave up opn getting the lime for the oxygen regneraters and I didn't see Rush voluntineering to help get the ice to replacce their water supply. And Rush refused to sit in the chair, which is why Franklin did it. Rush also kept the discovery of the bridge to himself and I can't recall anytime when Rush was actively trying to get the others back to earth. Even when he gave up his water in Air he then attacked Greer for water ration when he refused to give it to Rush, then he ordered Greer to shoot Brody to keep him from leaving the planet.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I also don't remember most of the other crew volunterring to get the ice or even go find the lime.

As for the control chair wasn't there a specific reason why Franklin did, rather than to sit in it to see if they could gain control?

13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He wasn't physically fit enough to trek through the desert and they wouldn't have found the lime without the helpful plot bugs, anyway. Based on the information they had, he made a rational choice.

One, you don't send the best scientist to do everything, and two, he wasn't even considered an option for that job IIRC.

Pretty sure that Franklin was just tired of being on the ship and sat on the damn thing before they had a chance to do more research the chair and build that buffer thing that Brody and Rush installed on it.

What do you expect when the guy who tried to murder him and was stupid enough to allow the Lucian Alliance to get as far as they did when he controlled life support and oxygen.

He didn't, but let's face it, the show made it abundantly clear that the Destiny crew was screwed on that front thanks to the age of the ship.

They hated each other and were under stress. Totally understandable, although not a great display on the parts of either man.

That was Franklin (although I totally forgot that for a while and that it was Volker who got shot for a bit) and that was totally justified, since those dumbasses would've left everyone else stranded.

14. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

15. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I loved the show and wished it was still around.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had my big complaints about it. Too much earth time via the stones diminished the isolation and disconnection of not knowing if they would get home. At least on VOY it was only 2 minute staticcy conversations that weren't guaranteed, not whole episodes from day one with people working out their relationship issues on earth. Their very boring relationship issues.

I'll rewatch it some time though. I would have loved a Season 3, Season 2 was certainly getting better.

17. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    I thought it added a very interesting dynamic to the show by having characters interact with loved ones back home while inhabiting another's body knowing they may never see them in person again.

Then again, i thought it was quite odd that Stargate Command would allow so many people to know about the Stargate and Destiny. I know it was done for storytelling purposes, but SG1 gave us the impression that it was a pretty big deal to let a civilian in on the secret.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But then you get into the stupidity of everyone accepting blindly that some complete stranger is their loved one. Esepcially when you realize that conjugal visits were the norm for stone swaps.

19. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I reckon a guilt-free means of having sex with someone who is seemingly not your partner would be alluring enough for people to believe it slightly more easily. That's why Eli's mother wasn't having any of it! :rommie:

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can see the earth based partner putting in requests after checking out the Destiny yearbook.

".. wow that Greer is hot, much better than that scrawny kid they sent me last time.. I think I'll have him next."